CHINA CHINA CHINA

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

33Vyper

CHINA CHINA CHINA

Post by 33Vyper »

I have seen many a thread regarding China and the fact that the Japanese can....with little effort steamroll through China and to some extent the USSR.

Oddly enough there are rewards for a Japanese player to do this...they get some new resources...they dont have to worry about the US setting up bases in their behind and the USSR wont suddenly invade in 1945 and run wild against them (has anybody actually done this with the USSR?)

I had an idea....but sadly it did not work....would need help Mike W.

Why not take some of the bases in China and give then a negative victory point value to the Japanese. This would reflect the enormous cost that I think we can all agree Japan would have to endure to have completed full invasions of both China and Russia. I am not suggesting 1000s of point losses but enough to make the Japanese player realize that his ambitions are a bit more than he can probably realistically do. It would I think ensure that at least one Chinese base and one Soviet base would be left (make them killer negative points to take) to at least keep them in the game.

I have read many ideas about enhancing the strength of units and bases....but a detirmined Japanese opponent knows that he/she has enough resources to pound the crap outta anyone for the first few years. And by that point it is usually a lost cause for the allies.

I tried to enter negative values into the database, but as I feared it does not work, hence my note that Mike would need to change something.

I do not want it to be made impossible to crush the Chinese or Soviets .... but make it cost the Japanese in victory points...there should be no reward for running wild in an area that we all can agree historically would not allow it.

Just my two cents....okay...everybody attack ! [;)]

Tom Hunter

RE: CHINA CHINA CHINA

Post by Tom Hunter »

There see to be two opinions about China held by two distinct groups of people.

There are people, like me, who have never lost China or don't think they ever will, who don't think China needs any help in terms of play balance Vs. Japan. (personally I think way play balance is achieved is a crock, and others feel the same way, but it is balance of a sort.)

People who have been unable to defend China, or think that they cannot, who believe China needs help Vs. Japan.

Since I am in the first group I am not going to support more changes.
33Vyper

RE: CHINA CHINA CHINA

Post by 33Vyper »

I do agree with you Tom....what I am thinking is that there should be no benefit to running rampant in China and the USSR. Yes you would get all the resources and the security blanket to the rear....but you would not gain anything significant in terms of 'winning' the game

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”