Med hit turn 1 HELL yes!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

RTDouglas

Med hit turn 1 HELL yes!

Post by RTDouglas »

Does anyone else out there think that the WA must hit whatever the Axis stack in the Central med turn 1? I think this is a no-brainer. Yes it can go bad and cost you some ships, however it can often go welland sometimes even very well. I think it is essential for the WA to FIGHT in the Med. A WA controlled Med forces the German player to commit forces to defense that he would otherwise send East.
That is why every German game I play I make a play for Gibraltar. If I can seal the Med I can send far more forces East to subdue the Soviet hordes...

What do you think?
a511

RE: Med hit turn 1 HELL yes!

Post by a511 »

agree!
imo, taking the Med is a must for the Germans and taking Gibraltar and Suez are the most important steps to achieve this.
of course, the Germans can use other strategies, but as mentioned by RT, w/o taking the Med u have to commit a sizable force to garrison the soft belly s_europe coast line.

an advanced horde of wolfpacks can help, but cannot really solve the problem if the Allies commit in ASW research.

AN
veritech

Post by veritech »

as the germans i never leave my med fleet out untill ive taken gibraltar. the key is iraq not just because of its 2 resources but there is 3 from free trade!
asdfasdf
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

How do you figure its 3?

One from Persia I can see.
Saudi Arabia only has one - and thus doesnt supply anything.
Turkey should give one to Germany already through Bulgaria.

Mind, I am only going by the rules - I suppose I should check in game if the rules are actually implemented as written.
veritech

Post by veritech »

3 is the 2 resources plus the 1 free trade i could have stated that better.
asdfasdf
5cats

Post by 5cats »

You get the free trade from Persia anyhow, it flows through Turkey.
Of course the WA and Russia also get a claim on it too.
Getting into Suez means you can threaten India, and Africa too, which is good for the Axis & bad for the WA.
I like to park the Italians in the Central Med with some CAP and let the WA come to me, hopefully with -1 :)
No Will but Thy Will
No Law but the Laws You make
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

AS German, I hesitate about commitment to the Med. The troops and ultimately the resources are desperately needed in Russia.

My AAR has demonstrated that let the Allies have the MED. As long as they do NOT force Italian surrender, the Italians can come back later to capture Suez and send their multiple subs to the Pacific to play with the Allies there.

Gibraltrar. Nice...but the effort can be heavy! I suspect it simply provides a target for Brit bombers from England...and a drain if not dispersal of German defences. The G SU44 turn is now complete and my 2 I Battleships, 2 DD, 1 ftr are attempting to hold W MED against what-ever may appear against it.

Mike B
haruntaiwan

Post by haruntaiwan »

How do you re-supply the Italian subs in the Pacific?
Maginot

Post by Maginot »

If the German player does not move his fleet into the central med on turn one, I'm in heaven. It allows my 'Med Gambit', resulting without fail in the capture of ALL African territories on turn one.
MarcelJV

Post by MarcelJV »

I have just been schooled on some finer points of what is and is not need against the Soviets.

First the Germans attacked the Soviets in Fall40, which did not seem to bad, until I looked east and saw the Japanese had attacked as well. Not looking good for me.

Mike if you invest in Infantry evasion and attack then you would be surprised at how little you need in units to take out the Soviets.
ORIGINAL: MikeB

AS German, I hesitate about commitment to the Med. The troops and ultimately the resources are desperately needed in Russia.

My AAR has demonstrated that let the Allies have the MED. As long as they do NOT force Italian surrender, the Italians can come back later to capture Suez and send their multiple subs to the Pacific to play with the Allies there.

Gibraltrar. Nice...but the effort can be heavy! I suspect it simply provides a target for Brit bombers from England...and a drain if not dispersal of German defences. The G SU44 turn is now complete and my 2 I Battleships, 2 DD, 1 ftr are attempting to hold W MED against what-ever may appear against it.

Mike B

Return to “The War Room”