Vassel

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
wodin

Vassel

Post by wodin »

Will Vassel be an option?

Ive never used Vassel but from what I here it doesnt automate rules for you. If it did then I suppose you would have a PC ONLINE conversion. Still its better than nothing I suppose.
David Heath

RE: Vassel

Post by David Heath »

Yes Vassel is a planned option.

David
AlvinS

Post by AlvinS »

Ive never used Vassel but from what I here it doesnt automate rules for you.

Thats true. What it does do is keep track of the board and allows you to save and come back to it at any time. It also has a dice rolling feature so you and you opponent can roll when appropriate. For me the best feature is that it is cat proof. No more cats walking through stacks of counters.[:@]

You basically play it just like a board game, but the board is on your screen. You will need to have the game to get the rule book and associated charts for game play. My gaming partner and I use voice chat on Yahoo messenger and talk to each other while we play. I highly recommend it. I play alot of Civil War games this way.

VASSAL[8D]
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Yeah, Alvin. It's how we do 90% of our play testing.

Best,
Mark
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

The VLnL Demo module works great but I'm having a devil of a time trying to get VASSAL running properly. I can install Sun's JRE and the VASSAL engine stuff but when I try to run VASSAL it freezes up. I get the disappearing black background syndrome and blank VASSAL windows. I did have it running once long ago on this same machine, but it's a no go now. Any ideas out there ???

Regards,
RedMike
Hannibal ad portas
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: RedMike

The VLnL Demo module works great but I'm having a devil of a time trying to get VASSAL running properly. I can install Sun's JRE and the VASSAL engine stuff but when I try to run VASSAL it freezes up. I get the disappearing black background syndrome and blank VASSAL windows. I did have it running once long ago on this same machine, but it's a no go now. Any ideas out there ???

Regards,
RedMike

What version of Java are you running
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

Hi Sarge,

It seems to be a Java issue and not especially VASSAL. I'm trying to get the Sun JRE version 1.5.0_02 to run but it's not working, won't open properly and screws up my desktop and task bar. I've been all through the Java site help files adjusting settings etc. but nothing seems to work. I've just now submitted a help request to Sun. We'll see. Is there another version that does work properly, 1.4 perhaps ? Thanks!

RedMike
Hannibal ad portas
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I am not really sure, I did use 1.4 up to about a month ago. But that being said 1.4 may or may not be compatible with players using 1.5. The best thing you could do would ask the experts over at the VASSAL server. I pretty sure you can install 1.4 and still get on the sever.

Hope it works out [:)]

PS: you are not the only one having issues with 1.5 and a lot of ASL guys are still on 1.4 [;)]
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

This is a pic of what I'm talking about. Really sucks!

Attachments
VassalWindows.jpg
VassalWindows.jpg (35.02 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Hannibal ad portas
petdoc

Post by petdoc »

I had a similar issue, but not exactly the same. If I had AA end AF enabled in my display options the vassal windows would all be blank. Went back to normal when I turned those off. Use a Radeon X800 PE.
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

YeeeHAAAaaa!! Got it sorted!

Thanks to your hint Petdoc, I started playing around with my display adapter settings. I set antialiasing and antisotropic filtering to application controlled and that did the trick. I had both set at 4x but I can live with the new settings. VASSAL works! Now on with the show.

RedMike OUT

Hannibal ad portas
petdoc

Post by petdoc »

Glad I could help. I am also a huge fan of ATS and a fairly frequent poster on the CHMB. I noted your Vassal queries on that board as well. I too am waiting for more VATS modules, maybe we could join in some VLnL or VATS in the future.
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

petdoc,

Yeah sure we can meet on the field of battle sometime. First have to get up to speed with BoH's and ATS too. I just ordered my copy of ATS Tobruk. As a matter of fact I've started experimenting with creating VASSAL modules and it's relatively easy (compared to programming a game engine from scratch) so I think I can handle creating a Tobruk module. Perhaps you can help? You can playtest it with me! <grin> I'm sure it will need some in the field tweeking to get everything just right. In the meantime...waiting on the mail!

RedMike OUT
Hannibal ad portas

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”