Origin of Uniform Accuracy Concerns?

Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon, the player controls one of the crowned potentates of Europe in the Napoleonic Era, wielding authority over his nation's military strategy, economic development, diplomatic relations, and social organization. It is a very thorough simulation of the entire Napoleonic Era - spanning from 1799 to 1820, from the dockyards in Lisbon to the frozen wastes of Holy Mother Russia.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

Reverend Zombie

Origin of Uniform Accuracy Concerns?

Post by Reverend Zombie »

I consider myself a grognard, but don't care if the uniforms are 100% accurate. I am also very interested in the American Civil War, where the uniforms were anything but, especially for the Confederacy.

That probably accounts for my lackadaisical attitude toward uniform depictions in games like this, and I'm interested in hearing whether others find similar (or different!) reasons behind their attitudes about the issue.
Reiryc

RE: Origin of Uniform Accuracy Concerns?

Post by Reiryc »

My view is that gameplay trumps visual effects in most cases so long as what is displayed can portray information that is needed for gameplay. If things like uniforms are being used to differentiate between who is a guard unit and who isn't, then I have no problems with a uniform that lacks the appropriate number jacket pockets.

sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Accurate uniforms would be nice but as Reiryc says, gameplay trumps all before it. Crown of Glory is a Grand Strategical game with a turn-based tactical element for battle resolution; there will simply be no need or opportunity to marvel at the details of unit uniforms. This game has the potential to be the best release in five years.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

There is a good sized community of napoleonic miniatures enthusiasts and table top gamers. (Talking about the 2cm tall little lead figures that people paint.) These people take loving care to make sure that each detail is painted correctly, have unit-correct flags, etc, etc. I wonder if there isn't some cross-over between people who dig napoleonic miniatures and people who dig napoleonic computer games, perhaps? If so, those people would have a higher expectation of historic precision than the average wargamer, who just need to distinguish the units.

Just a theory.
donkuchi19

Post by donkuchi19 »

Pixelpusher,

You are 100% correct about the crossover between miniature players and those that play napoleonic wargames. Being one of them and also one that had posted in the previos thread about uniform concerns, I can say that you hit the nail on the head.
JosephL

Post by JosephL »

Personally (and not as the uber official Matrix Spokesperson) I fall into the lazy "Don't care if Napoleon's Army was wearing sequen jumpsuits."

I can understand why some people really dig extreme accuracy, its a matter of pride. I'm proud about how much I know about videogames and it causes me PHYSICAL pain when a good friend of mine describes every videogame as "nintendo."
For instance in talking about Crown of Glory he would say something like "I don't know why you play those nintendo games."

Anyway, I am unsure that cosmetic innaccuracies in this case would justify not purchasing the game. I am not really sure if having the wrong uniform colors in a football game would affect my decision to purchase. Will it affect yours?

-Joe
Joseph Lieberman
OlavV

Post by OlavV »

ORIGINAL: JosephL

Personally (and not as the uber official Matrix Spokesperson) I fall into the lazy "Don't care if Napoleon's Army was wearing sequen jumpsuits."

I can understand why some people really dig extreme accuracy, its a matter of pride. I'm proud about how much I know about videogames and it causes me PHYSICAL pain when a good friend of mine describes every videogame as "nintendo."
For instance in talking about Crown of Glory he would say something like "I don't know why you play those nintendo games."

Anyway, I am unsure that cosmetic innaccuracies in this case would justify not purchasing the game. I am not really sure if having the wrong uniform colors in a football game would affect my decision to purchase. Will it affect yours?

-Joe

I am more a NATO symbol user myself( the little men in uniforms kinda makes me loose the big picture). But when the option too mod uniforms seems easy enough I guess those that realy want 100% correct uniforms will do it their self =) Even the more obscure 1 are easy too find on the internett like this Norwegian Jacket from 1808 used by the Ski troops(first is private 2nd is officer)
La Victoire est en nous

Return to “Crown of Glory”