CHS Confusion?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and the game editor for WITP.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

pad152

CHS Confusion?

Post by pad152 »

CHS Confusion[&:]

Spookys has the following listing under CHS files
------------------------------------------------------------------
CHS - June 2005
* CHS Art & Scenario - alpha version : CHS package containing the CHS scenarios and all of the required art

CHS Beta (may 2005)

* CHS scenario (545 KB) : This is the version that is only suitable for head-to-head play, it has overpowered the AI
* CHS Aircraft tops (about 1050 KB) by The Elf

CHS Alpha (april 2005)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:
1. The files listed under June are Alpha files???
2. The May Beta is followed by the June Alpha??
3. Are the aircraft tops listed under May Beta the same as listed in the June Alpha? Which is are the latest???

I'm confused[:(]

Doesn't still go something like this!
Alpha - incomplete working test version.
Beta - complete working test version.
Gamma(pre-gold) - (pre-release canidate).
Gold - release version.
Captain Cruft

RE: CHS Confusion?

Post by Captain Cruft »

I don't think the terms Alpha & Beta are being used in their formal meanings here. It is all a bit confusing though and could IMHO be packaged a bit better.

Basically there three components, all of which are "Just a Bunch of Files (TM)":

1) Andrew Brown's map mod, special extended version. This comprises a set of bitmap graphics and, most importantly, a modified pwhex.dat file. You must download the pwhex.dat file and install it in the top-level WitP folder. Then you must download two map bitmap sets, one with hexes (WITP???.BMP) and one without (WITN???.BMP). These install into the WitP\Art folder.

2) The ship and plane graphics. Installed into and under the WitP\Art folder.

3) The scenario database itself. A set of 9 files named WP?155.DAT which install into the WitP\SCEN folder.

Once you have a map set and any version of the ship/plane graphics the only thing you need to update is the scenario database itself. Of course, if new art is issued you may want to get that too, but it's not strictly necessary.

What would be really useful is if the contents of the various zip files on Spooky's and Andrew's websites were displayed there so you could see what you're getting before downloading.
pad152

Post by pad152 »

You really didn't answer my questions.[8|]

Which are, which files are the latest?

Are the aircraft top art files listed in CHS May the same as the aircraft art files in the CHS June files?
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

It is a tad confusing. Here you go:

April/05: Alpha Version: Complete system but an Alpha. YOU WILL NEED THE ARTWORK FROM THIS VERSION!!

5/6: Beta: Release of only the scenario itself and (somewhat later) an update to the Aircraft top artwork (but not the aircraft side or ship artwork - use those from the alpha).

5/28 (may be June in Australia): Complete Package (alpha): This is an alpha CHS installer with all required files. A one-button installer will have to wait until undate frequency drops and the file set is stable.

I am not sure if the newest aircraft art made it into the installer - you might want to download the 5/21 tops just in case.

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: pad152

You really didn't answer my questions.[8|]

Which are, which files are the latest?

Are the aircraft top art files listed in CHS May the same as the aircraft art files in the CHS June files?

I can probably help here. The confusion is partly my fault.

Firstly, the "alpha" and "beta" words are not formally assigned. In fact there is no formal designation of version of the CHS. They are all "test" versions, so you can only go by the date of the files themselves.

Originally there was only one way to install CHS: Install my map if you have not already done so, install the special extended CHS map, install all of the art files separately, then install the scenario itself. All of the required packages are available on Spooky's website. Most of the art is in the "CHS Alpha (april 2005)" section, with a later art file and the latest release scenario file separately listed in the "CHS Beta (may 2005)" above.

Several people were asking for instructions on how to install CHS, and I thought having everything separate was not the best thing to do, so I put together a single package containing all of the latest CHS art files and latest versions of two CHS scenarios - the original one that requires the special CHS map, and a modified one that only requires my "standard" map. I placed all of the files into a single large zip file, along with some documentation, instructions, and a mod select utility, and set up a website to host the file and some installation instructions.

The CHS website I set up is here:

www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp/CHS_documentation/CHS.html

I also sent the CHS package file to Spooky, and he has placed it on his site with a link to it from his CHS web page, under "CHS - June 2005". This file contains all of the required files for CHS, so none of the other files are required if you download this one.

The confusion is not Spooky's fault as he does not know exactly which file is which. He just makes them all available on his website. I should send him an email explaining how the files work, and ask whether he could reorder the CHS page, and add a link to my CHS page where there are detailed instructions on how to install CHS.

Please let me know if I have only succeeded in confusing you further.

Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Well it certainly is confusing around here :)

I find things like this difficult to explain because the CHS is, as I said, "Just a Bunch of Files", of which the most recently modified should be used. Which, whilst being crystal clear to a techie like myself, is probably not much help to most normal folk ... Sorry.

Anyway, the reason I go on about the "three components" is because I am very aware of how large a "one click installer" would be. This would definitely be the simplest option, but if you are on modem (like myself) downloading the map graphics more than once would not be fun.
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft
Anyway, the reason I go on about the "three components" is because I am very aware of how large a "one click installer" would be. This would definitely be the simplest option, but if you are on modem (like myself) downloading the map graphics more than once would not be fun.

No it would not be fun. That is why I left the map files out of the single CHS package. They still need to be downloaded separately. Even so the CHS package file is not small - about 21 MB or so. This is on top of the two map packages which are about 40 MB and 20 MB in size. There is no way around this, unfortunately (except get broadband, which is what I did a couple of weeks ago [:'(])

DrewBlack

Post by DrewBlack »

Andy

Trying to loadd first as allies my Jap player has sent me his first file however when I go to open up the turn from him i get a message "Saved game failed to load" what am i doing wrong????

I can send you the file if you want.

Drew
WitE2 - Alpha Tester/Beta Tester
Wite: 1.10 Beta Tester
Wite: Lost Battles Beta Tester
WitW - Beta Tester
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Have him resend his files to you. They can become corrupted in transit; happened to me and my PBEM partners more than once.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: DrewBlack

Andy

Trying to loadd first as allies my Jap player has sent me his first file however when I go to open up the turn from him i get a message "Saved game failed to load" what am i doing wrong????

I can send you the file if you want.

Drew

Sorry, but I don't know what would cause such a problem. You could ask the Japanese player to send me the save to see whether I can load it.

DrewBlack

Post by DrewBlack »

thanks still aving problems

Whats your email address will send you the file

Drew
WitE2 - Alpha Tester/Beta Tester
Wite: 1.10 Beta Tester
Wite: Lost Battles Beta Tester
WitW - Beta Tester
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: DrewBlack

thanks still aving problems

Whats your email address will send you the file

Drew

I sent an email with my address. I have not had time to reply in more detail yet...

Return to “Scenario Design”