Consider This Game

Supremacy: Four Paths To Power is the ultimate test of survival for sci-fi, turn-based strategists.
wjm11656

Consider This Game

Post by wjm11656 »

Let me start with the fact that I like this game quite a bit. After reading the post about giving the game a pass, I felt some equal time was due. I encourage you to read below and maybe get a better idea on whether or not this game is for you.

The game rules are very easy to learn. The game difficulty here does not come from having to understand a 200 page rulebook. I like that occasionally, but sometimes I prefer something simpler so I can get playing quicker. This game is easy to learn.

Many people have compared it to chess. I would say that there are some similarities to chess. But they are conceptual similarities. The game seems very evenly balanced, most advantages garnered through a leader or gaining a space station are not game winning on their own. Application of the simple advantages over time can gain a win. On the other hand misapplication can hurt you. I have enjoyed playing with different leaders/races and mixes of units as it has given me the opportunity to employ a variety of strategies.

But the differences are fairly subtle between the races. I do not find any one race as having a unbalancing advantage. If you do, try taking it on with a mixed force using the advantges of several as a counter, I find this works well.

Like a lot of people I was at first disappointed at he few worlds on each map. After I played a while I saw this was not as big an issue as i first thought. This is not really an expand, explore, and exterminate game like Master of Orion. The playing field is smaller. Almost everything is visible to each player.

The AI does need improvement but I have learned some things from it. It also seems to do much better on some maps than others. I am impressed with how well the AI does considering it never cheats. It seems to play by the same rules as the player. Those maps the AI has a problem with are more likely better 2 player maps.

A note on difficulty, if you find the game too easy and you are always clobbering the AI, reduce the number of turns and/or impose a time limit on your move. This can provide for a much more challenging level of play. Of note - some maps actually have an imposed turn limit under certain games types.

I love turn-based gaming as opposed to real time games. The game has fine graphics and sound, but that's not a big seller for me. I want something thats fun to play and lets me win a variety of ways. Where I can explore varying strategies rather than being locked into "the one way to win".

I am looking forward to getting the map editor working as I have plans for some interesting layouts.

Look at all the posts out there before deciding, read what the players have to say. Some did not like it - look at their reasons. Some did - look at theirs. Make an informed decision based on what you like in a game. Me, I give this one a thumbs up.

Walt

Walt
theswitch

RE: Consider This Game

Post by theswitch »

well put[:)]
Terl

Post by Terl »

I agree completely. I bought the game even after reading the other posting you referred to and I am very pleased I did. I play it quite a bit (not all the time as I have a few other Matrix products :) ) and enjoy the game a great deal.
praetorblue

Post by praetorblue »

Hi Terl,

Glad to hear you're enjoying our game. :)

Regards,
Vance Vagell

Programmer
Supremacy: Four Paths to Power
Vance Vagell
Programmer
Black Hammer Game
bssy

Post by bssy »

Bought the game a few days ago. Just want to add that this game is fun and addictive. I also liked how they put some effort into the graphics, because good graphics in a game are important to me. Easy to get into, good graphics, sound, turn based, and good price point.
marc420

Post by marc420 »

You had me interested until you suggested I impose a time limit on myself to make a game against the AI challenging. Arrrrgh!

I usually only play games single player. I find PBEM type games incredibly frustrating. And I usually don't have the long stretches of time available for TCP/IP. And I find it very hard to find people I want to play against. So a game which can be a challenging game against an AI is important to me.

But I don't want to deliberately cripple my own play. And the thing I hate about RTS is trying make moves quickly instead of smartly. So your suggestion that to play single player against the AI you should play with a time limit really turns me off.

Personally, I could care less for graphics and sound. I'm old enough that I started playing games on pieces of paper with cardboard counters. There's a certain level of presentation needed to avoid having a game so ugly its unappealing, but beyond that I care nothing for graphics. And almost always the first thing I do to any game is immediately turn the sound off.

So, if there's a game with good graphics and sound, but an AI so bad you have to cripple your own play to play a game against it, I'm pretty much not interested.
Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

Return to “Supremacy: Four Paths To Power”