First Impressions

A turn-based, simultaneous-play wargame with a classic 3D miniatures feel and a two non-linear historical campaigns.
wodin

First Impressions

Post by wodin »

Please post your first impressions and how do the new features improve the game?
HobbesACW

RE: First Impressions

Post by HobbesACW »

Looks really good. Haven't played a game yet - but the graphics are even better and the
gameplay is sure to be as good as Alexander. 14 battles and a less linear campaign.

Can't wait to get stuck in. One thing I really like about this is that it is possible to play through a battle in a few hours. With all the good wargames out recently I'm finding lack of time is now more of a problem than lack of funds.

You can also put it away for a few months then just play a game without having to spend days getting back up to speed (ever try having a quick game of EUII after a few months away?)

A great beer and pretzels game.

pahom

Post by pahom »

The graphics are much improved. I think that the terrain is a huge step up, very detailed. You can also gauge elevation much better than the previous game. Like Combat Mission, you can get right down behind the line and see what the soldier sees.

I have just started a campaign. I think that having open ended choices is a wonderful addition. If you achieve major victories, you will have a few campaigns before civil war. If not, you can expect a lot of campaigns. I think this solves the major flaw in ATG. You can avoid the campaigns you don't like, master a few, and move on to the others when the others grow stale. The Romans are a** kickers, no doubt. The six steps and the pilum allow them to shred their enemies. The AI is pretty solid and aggressive. They hold back a reserve and try to hit you on the flanks. They try to stretch your line and punch through the gaps. The Romans have two major weaknesses, archery and cavalry. The AI does a great job of exploiting the lack of mobility and range of the Legions.

Despite the install problem, the game is smooth and very stable. The interface is clean and the sounds are, like ATG, top notch. I loved the last game, but this version is much improved and a hell of a lot of fun.

I would like to know if this game takes advantage of 3d accelerated features such as AA and anisotropic filtering. I also would love to have a true 1280X1024 display for my LCD. 1280X960 is nice, but I'd love to fill my screen. Is it possible to play the game in a window?

Pahom
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

I jumped right into the campaign. In my first battle I thought I had everything under control but the AI proved to be very tough. I have to start over. Also, I lost track of time and was late for work. I think that is a good endorsement. I like the graphics much better than Alexander. I would like to see the Campaign be more in-depth.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Kid

I would like to see the Campaign be more in-depth.

How do you mean?

Lack of immersion or something?
Copper

Post by Copper »

the one thing I want, and it may be in I dunno, is a population count. If I decisivley defeat my opponent in a battle, I would certainly hope the amount of troops he can draft for the next battle would be significantly less. For instance, In my first battle against the Helvetti, 54,000 Gauls perished, 15,000 Romans. If there was an overall draftable population for each country I would hope these 54,000 men would be subtracted from the Gaulic pool.
"Whoes the commanding officer here?"
"Aint you!?" - Apocalypse Now
pahom

Post by pahom »

I do think the campaign system accounts for this. If you win a major victory in a battle, you receive a ton of points. You can use these points to mobilize more legions, equipment, and specialty cards for your next campaign. If you are less succesful, you will suffer for it in your next campaign, with less troops, lower quality, and less cards to sway your battle. The campaign system, in my opinion, works very well.

The enemy, on the other hand, always seems to have a load of troops. I would not want to face them with a bunch of green soldiers.

Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

Greetings Everyone!

*Terrain: Love it. SIGNIFICANT improvement over Alexander.
*Soldiers: Liked em in Alexander, like em even more now. Multi-base legions is genius. Never had the money for 54s :) ('ceptin my Britains, of course.)
*Game system -- IN GENERAL (see below for specific quibbles).
*Campaign: Nice touches and the cards don't bug me nearly as much as I feared they would.
*Feel: Playing this game and playing R:TW is kind of the equivalent of driving an Audi TT Quatro and driving a Lamborghini Countach. The latter is on every college-kid's wall 'cuz it's hotter-looking than than the surface of the sun, but, in 10 years, it ain't gonna be worth the plastic it's made out of because the guts of it aren't really there. I love watching R:TW move, but I get less and less joy out of playing it every day.
*Support: This needs to be said. Getting a patch the very day it's needed is good stuff guys.

Quibbles:
*I understand the reasons, but I really want to argue for a sandbox at some point down the road. I would pay more for it.
*Rule issue, re: retreats: In a game where command of rear flags is crucial, permitting enemy units, which can rally, to retreat TOWARDS my flag is a bit much. I realize this is de rigeur DBA, but, still. Also, with respect to this, are retreats to 180-degrees from attack, i.e., to units retreat directly away from that which attacked them?
*I also wonder about the ability to both retreat and move across the frontage of an enemy unit. I realize that, at this scale, establishing strict ZOC is tricky, but something would have been nice.

More later, I'm sure, but right now:

Relax now. Enjoy completion of project. Collect money. Begin programming new game.

I, and my wallet will be waiting.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
"Gentlemen songsters off on a spree, damned from here to eternity, God have mercy on such as we..." -- The Whiffenpoofs
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I would like to see the Campaign be more in-depth.

How do you mean?

Lack of immersion or something?

Yes but after playing three battles, it really does not matter. I have to say this is the best ancient tactical turn-based computer I've ever played. I even took today off to play it.[8D]

How about Tin Solider - Fantasy? Instead of cards you would have spells.[:D]
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Yes but after playing three battles, it really does not matter. I have to say this is the best ancient tactical turn-based computer I've ever played. I even took today off to play it.[8D]

How about Tin Solider - Fantasy? Instead of cards you would have spells.[:D]

Thanks for your kind words, I'm delighted to hear you are enjoying it and I'm sure the folks at Koios appreciated that nutshell review a great deal. [8D] All I can say is that the next game is being worked on already.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Lannes

Post by Lannes »

Thanks Erik, it's a great new, I'm waiting
Christophe

Return to “Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar”