Computer crashes when hitting vehicles under WinXP

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

derflinger

RE: Computer crashes when hitting vehicles under WinXP

Post by derflinger »

I've had this problem also. I also have XP, but I might go a week or two between crashes.

It only happens while I am shooting - but I can't tell if I've hit the target or missed. I will have to take note next time as to whether it happens during opportunity fire. It's possible that I've knocked the crew out of a tank and now there are too many units in the game.

Two very important observations on this:

Usually, this only happens when I haven't saved for a couple of turns.

Usually, I save at the beginning of my turn, and several times during my turn (especially during big battles) and again before I end my turn. When it gets too late and I forget to save, then BINGO! Time for bed.
Grim Redeemer

Post by Grim Redeemer »

Well I finally figured it out. I started getting eerily similar crashes when I tried to update my Java Runtime Environment, so I started reading through the crash logs the JRE installation program had saved. As I kind of expected, it had little to do with SPWaW specifically -- the problems were being caused by a leftover from the iSearch spy- & adware, a "delprot.sys" file in the windows\system32\drivers folder (created on the night before christmas...), which was referenced 35 times (all hidden and heavily protected) in various places in the registry. The program I had used to remove iSearch had obviously not done a very thorough job.

After reading dozens of threads about similar problems with the delprot.sys file, I fiddled around with regedit for several hours to remove all the references -- for example, I now have a Non-Plug And Play Device Driver called DELETEME!; there was apparently no way to remove the driver without causing this WinXP installation to permanently crash so I just renamed it and changed the reference. After that, I managed to delete delprot.sys in the Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

I just finished running through my 3 crash test scenarios pitting dozens of armored vehicles against a variety of weapons -- 3 hours of non-stop Comp vs Comp tankbusting, and not a single crash. Finally!

I have a feeling I'm going to play about... 20 hours of SPWaW tomorrow. I'd make it 24 if I weren't so sleep deprived.

Thank you kindly for all the assistance everyone, even though the problem turned out to be so exotic and unrelated to (I assume) just about all other problems people have ever had with SPWaW.
KNomad

Post by KNomad »

Good job on troubleshooting your problem! Cheers!
ORIGINAL: Grim Redeemer

I have a feeling I'm going to play about... 20 hours of SPWaW tomorrow. I'd make it 24 if I weren't so sleep deprived.

Now there's the spirit! Plenty of time to sleep afterwards! [8D]
The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Boyah!

Now here is a man I want on my side!...A problem solver with determination. Good hunting against those tanks, my friend!

WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
KNomad

Post by KNomad »

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

Boyah!

Now here is a man I want on my side!...A problem solver with determination.

LOL - I've been in his shoes. I solve my registry issues by formatiing my HD. [:D]
I'll setup my system tailored to run one game if I want to play it badly enough.
The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”