Research: Evasion or Durability?

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

vonTirpitz

Research: Evasion or Durability?

Post by vonTirpitz »

Please forgive me if these questions have been addressed elsewhere in the depths of the forum. I've tried to keep up with all of the information streaming in as well as "learn the ropes" as I play. As such, I am playing the USSR are trying to bolster my Infantry as quickly as possible before the Germans invade.

R&D Questions:

I know that the Defense Rating of any given unit is supposidly comprised of both its Evasion and Durability Ratings (in addition to Armor I think). I am thinking that Evasion would affect a unit's chances of not getting hit in the first place while Durability affects how well a unit can take getting hit. Is this presumption essentially true? If it is, then is the Evasion rating generally a much more important factor in combat?

Also, If I have a (12/14) research rating in Infantry Evasion then lose half of my Infantry in combat on the next round how much (if any) of the excess research investment gets carried forward after the "expected" breakthrough following the reduced total in active units? (Or did I misinterpret that entirely?) [:(]

Thank you for any information!
PDiFolco

RE: Research: Evasion or Durability?

Post by PDiFolco »

The manual indicates that in combat, defense = Durability * Evasion. Dunno if Evasion alone has some effect ...
With that in mind, I'd say that mathematically you should always go to increase the lower value for a given unit : ie if your inf is Dur 4 Eva 5 (def 20) it'll be better to gain 1 point of Dur (to get def 25) rather than Eva 6 (def 24). And usually the research would be cheaper... [;)]
PDF
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

Durability is a constant - it can't be researched. Armor reduces the adversary attack rating - so it plays a role too, but it is not researchable either.

Since the product of evasion * durability = defense (number attacker must roll) there is really no reason to look at evasion in a vaccum and try to explain it - the effect is that raising your evasion makes you troops harder to hit (see the table I posted in the FAQ thread on combat results).

The result is all three factors play a role, but only evasion is researchable - so it is through evasion (better doctrine, tactics, motorization, etc.) that you can most directly improve your untis survivability.

As to "over researching" - if at the end of your turn, the research points equal or exceed the value needed - at that time- then you get the increase (sometimes teh "rounding of random number will help too) . So yes if you lose half your infantry, you may get the bonus of "learning from your mistake" [:'(] and getting better capabilities.

DaviddesJ

Post by DaviddesJ »

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber
As to "over researching" - if at the end of your turn, the research points equal or exceed the value needed - at that time- then you get the increase (sometimes teh "rounding of random number will help too) . So yes if you lose half your infantry, you may get the bonus of "learning from your mistake" [:'(] and getting better capabilities.

I don't think you answered the question. If you have more research points than you need for the advance, is the excess wasted, or does it carry forward to future research (so achieving the next advance is easier than if you didn't have the carryover)?

I much prefer games where fractions carry over because you don't feel like you have to micro-optimize how much you put in so that you don't overshoot.
ratprince

Post by ratprince »

If the random "chance" succeeds, then the extra point carries over into a point of research for the next level advance.
"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

Even if you don't get luck, if you "go over" the excess carries over - so if you need 12 to get teh next level and you put in 13, you get the advance and then you will have say 1/17 next trun (assuming you have now gone over the state of the art and have the same number of units.)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”