so is it any good?

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

rroberson

so is it any good?

Post by rroberson »

THose of you who have made the purchase....was it worth the money...if so why...if not...well...why. Saw it on the shelf, but held off....but I am looking for a new game...

Dalwin

RE: so is it any good?

Post by Dalwin »

The game is a blast. If you are a fan of WWII strategic games, I highly recommend it.

It is not perfect, but it seems to be both well balanced and playable. The few bugs they have identified for the first patch all seem relatively minor.

If I had to pick the biggest negative point, it would for me be that being turn based with relatively long turns, PBEM is the only practical multiplayer mode. It is a lot of fun even against the AI, but I hope to see some head to head games for a real challenge.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Just bought it only read the rules. went through some battles -need more time. But I can see it is similar to 3riech, I enjoyed that game imensely. Besides it was on sale in Fry,s Electronics until 4/5 for 29.99. Could not pass up the bargin.
Scott_WAR

Post by Scott_WAR »

Coming from an axis and allies background, I must say it was little confusing at first, but after taking the time to learn what I am doing, it is a very good game.
JaguarUSF

Post by JaguarUSF »

From what I have seen so far, the game involves a lot more "strategy" than a majority of other strategy games. There are numerous decisions to make (building supplies vs building troops, moving units vs repairing structures, where to attack, etc) that can heavily impact the game. I think that's what at the heart of strategy games: who can make the best decisions, not who can click the mouse the fastest and micromanage the best (that is a reflex game, not a strategy game *cough*Command and Conquer*cough*). I'm an avid player of Kohan 2, which I also feel is a strategy game and not a clickfest surrounded by pretty graphics *cough*Act of War*cough*
DamoclesX

Post by DamoclesX »

ya I think its great

the only thing I find annoying is I have to watch all the other nations do their turn, I guess its good from a strategy sence, but man it takes a long time.

What can I say lol I have no self control lol
Jason Blaz
Way to much to list here!
Crocky

Post by Crocky »

Well you get it Rob and I will give you a game about time we caught up again :)
Mike Blair CROCKY
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

The more I play it, the more I like it! It's got a real strategic depth to it. Every decision you make has consequences. In fact, every *move* you make has consequences: tactical moves cost supply, and strategic moves cost transport capacity. The Axis seems tougher to play than the Allies, but maybe that's as it should be, and the Victory Conditions may account for that. Having only finished one game (and lost), I'm not sure.

The AI is quite good. It keeps beating me up. :) I'm about to start a PBEM, and again I'm impressed with the smoothness of the interface.

When I first saw screenshots, I wasn't thrilled with the graphical look. But now that I've played a while, I've come to appreciate the nice graphical touches, especially when the game is zoomed in.
JaguarUSF

Post by JaguarUSF »

If you want to speed up the AI turns, set non-player animation speed to 0 in game preferences.
Bossy573

Post by Bossy573 »

Hold off no longer! The game is very good indeed.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

It's pretty good; except that it's a mile wide and a foot deep.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

ORIGINAL: Zap
Besides it was on sale in Fry,s Electronics until 4/5 for 29.99. Could not pass up the bargin.

BUSTED !!!

Paul Vebber should be along to persecute your underhanded thievery.

The retail price on this game is $39.99 and that's what you should have paid. Fry's dishonored their "retail agreement" by putting it on sale, and you are no better than a P2P pirate... at least that is the theory put forth by "some" Matrix employees. (I won't say his name but his initials are Paul Vebber).
DamoclesX

Post by DamoclesX »

its awsome
really awsome

I got my assed kicked in 43 as germany, but, its still awsome
Jason Blaz
rroberson

Post by rroberson »

ORIGINAL: Crocky

Well you get it Rob and I will give you a game about time we caught up again :)

damn man how have you been?
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

(I won't say his name but his initials are Paul Vebber

lol Paul is always biatching about something or someone or some type of gamer on here. I think he's the anti-PR man for Matrixgames. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

dobeln

Post by dobeln »

It's great. :) Much deeper than it looks from the A&A-esque graphics.
Warspite3

Post by Warspite3 »

Take a deep breath...relax...go out and buy it. It will be the best $40 you have spent on a game in a VERY long time.
-Warspite3-
DamoclesX

Post by DamoclesX »

ya, its worth the money, those of you who know me know I am probably the last person you want runing a turn based wargame on your side lol, but I still enjoy this game

even if I did get wacked as germany in 43 lol

stuipid advanced supplys

stupid long ass supply lines

stupid big russia

lol
Jason Blaz
IDrinkBeer

Post by IDrinkBeer »

stuipid advanced supplys

stupid long ass supply lines

stupid big russia

I bet Hitler was complaining about the same things.
IDB

"Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
rroberson

Post by rroberson »

Looks like the ayes have it...Ill run out and get it today...I generally snap up every WW2 Grand game I see, but after HOI 2...I find myself less willing to dive in sight unseen.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”