Please don't waste development time on TCPIP/LAN addon

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

jpinard

Please don't waste development time on TCPIP/LAN addon

Post by jpinard »

I think those crying about wanting TCP/IP or LAN play haven't actually spent much time with the game. There are many other things more important than adding a feature only 5 people whiny people here "might" use.

I mean, who wants to sit there waiting for 20 minutes while someone finishes their turn options? It'd be a lot SMARTER of you people to just play a PBEM game, so you can do something else while waiting. Adding TCP/IP-LAN play is going to be like advanced PBEM (without the e-mail), and that's not what this game is about. I mean, if your going to drag 3 buddies to your house to play this via LAN, why the hell don't you just pull a boardgame out instead?

I really wish you people crying about this supposed "missing" feature woudl think about what your asking for because it really makes "almost" zero sense. Especially when those development resources could be spent on things that benefit EVERYONE, not just spent on the very few of you that would actually utilize this feature more than a few times.

The developers do NOT owe anyone TCP/IP - LAN play. I wish you people would learn how to use your e-mail for PBEM games. If you don't know how, I'd be happy to help anyone that needs it.
nukkxx5058

RE: Please don't waste development time on TCPIP/LAN addon

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Your message is bit arrogant ...

Have you ever heard about simultaneous turn based games ?
I would really appreciate if matrix could spend some time researching how to implement such a technology ...
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Station

Post by Station »

So far, I haven't taken over 5 minutes to complete two turns yet (movement and production).

Still, I don't really mind whether or not they add tcp/ip lan.

I'm thinking about setting up a game with my friends to do 2 turns per day over e-mail so each of us can write up big seasonal summaries like a war diary on my site's forum.
Espejo

Post by Espejo »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

Y
Have you ever heard about simultaneous turn based games ?
I would really appreciate if matrix could spend some time researching how to implement such a technology ...

Toatal agreement here. Strategy gaming is although about competion and "smack talk" and playing with friends. If a good or even great strategy game can be played as a large "tabletop" worldwide even better.

PBEM is fun. Talking to your buddies while playing wiht your buddies is even more fun . simultaneous turn would be wonderful.
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

I mean, if your going to drag 3 buddies to your house to play this via LAN, why the hell don't you just pull a boardgame out instead?

I think you do not understand what tcp/ip means. BTW, how can I easily drag over a friend from France/Germany/Russia for one evening for a play on the boardgame?

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Bluestew0

Post by Bluestew0 »

ORIGINAL: jpinard

I think those crying about wanting TCP/IP or LAN play haven't actually spent much time with the game. There are many other things more important than adding a feature only 5 people whiny people here "might" use.

10 people have posted in the forums so far requesting an IP option. The majority of those only posted once expressing their interest in such an option. Only two could reasonably be considered "whiny".

I mean, who wants to sit there waiting for 20 minutes while someone finishes their turn options? It'd be a lot SMARTER of you people to just play a PBEM game, so you can do something else while waiting. I mean, if your going to drag 3 buddies to your house to play this via LAN, why the hell don't you just pull a boardgame out instead?

Apparently the 10 people that have posted are interested in it and so are 5 members of my regular MP group. We use voice voice software to talk so waiting a few minutes chatting while others take turns is not an issue. And it would be difficult to pull out a boardgame when most of us live in different cities and states.

I really wish you people crying about this supposed "missing" feature woudl think about what your asking for because it really makes "almost" zero sense.

I see, anything someone else wants that is not something you want makes almost zero sense. Sorry, I hadn't been alerted to the weight and importance of your opinion. I'll be sure to snap to from now on.

The developers do NOT owe anyone TCP/IP - LAN play. I wish you people would learn how to use your e-mail for PBEM games. If you don't know how, I'd be happy to help anyone that needs it.

Agreed, the developer most certainly does not owe anyone anything else in regards to this game.

So someone who is interested in IP support doesn't know how to play PBEM? I guess I've been playing something other than PBEM the last couple days. Honestly, the contemptuous tone of your post is highly insulting. I'd suggest a mod lock this thread since your post could provoke what should be a discussion, into a flame war.
Police toilets stolen! Officers have nothing to go on.
HardRock

Post by HardRock »

hmm. Do you have full supply on?

I imagine once I learn it more turns will go quicker...still..playing a large power like the WA I can see 5-30 min turns easily. The supply (and production) has to be thought out or you might as well pack it in.

Games that take 5 min a turn are no good for email (SC). They are better for live internet. By the same token 20 min to 20 day turns are better for PBEM. It's just plain common sense.

This game is perfect for PBEM and was rightfully done as such. Internet just doesn't make sense for the majority.

Scott_WAR

Post by Scott_WAR »

You do realize that some people play with simple supply, meaning their turns are much shorter, in which case TCP/IP will be ideal.

It would be one thing if adding TCP/IP was going to take away from the game in any way, but it will only improve it by adding a feature that many are asking for. You can still play PBEM.

As far as wasting development time better spent on something else, please tell us what you think is more important than something several people have asked for. The only thing I could think of besides bug fixes, which we will get regardless, is a scenario editor for those of us who dont like messing with game files. But I havent seen as many requests for that as I have TCP/IP.
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

AI fixes Scott...

At any rate, I guess I'm surprised so many people are playing with simple supply. I found out it will take a lot of recoding to add the TCP/IP functionality, and it just seemed witht he limited resources they have, they'd be better served conentrating on other things first before tackling something brand new.

If any of you tried to create a new campign, then you'd know what needs attention... much more than added multi-play. Some people were crying about wasting their money on this game because it didn't have TCP/IP. I just found that ludicrous, and the amout of people screaming bloody murder about it. Game is worthless without TCP/IP? Sheesh.

However, I will admit I was wrong in it not being needed period. Like was mentioned above, I guess if you're playing with easy rules and a headset for chat it could be pretty fun. So, I stand corrected in that respect.
Bluestew0

Post by Bluestew0 »

However, I will admit I was wrong in it not being needed period. Like was mentioned above, I guess if you're playing with easy rules and a headset for chat it could be pretty fun. So, I stand corrected in that respect.

A well-disposed reply.....let the gaming continue!
Police toilets stolen! Officers have nothing to go on.
Regent9

Post by Regent9 »

Now we have people like jpinard crying about NOT adding TCP/IP. I don't understand why someone would be AGAINST adding TCP/IP, if you personally don't want to use it, don't. But, it is certainly very clear that alot of people would prefer TCP/IP, and I for one certainly would too. Personally, I was shocked to see that this option wasn't included in the first place. Christ, my old Axis and Allies game even supports TCP/IP play, and it works great btw. The bottom line is that players should be able to CHOOSE which type of multiplayer game they would like to use.
Warpstorm

Post by Warpstorm »

Why would someone complain about adding something? That's an easy one. Opportunity cost. 2x3 will be 'wasting' (in the opinion of the original poster) valuable time on a feature that he doesn't want. Those weeks could be better spent on a feature he wants, bug fixes, or their next title. 2x3 does not have infinite manpower. In fact, they have an extremely small development team. Everything they decide to work on impacts everything else they could be working on instead.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Gentlemen,

I'll encourage everyone to table this and let the good folks at 2by3 and Matrix give it some though and some time. If you trusted us to create the game in the first place, give us a bit more faith as far as improving it please. A lot comes down to actual planning and evaluations of feasibility. It may happen, it may not, but the decision will be based on hearing our customers and making a rational choice on the list of improvements that will most benefit the series moving forwards.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

I just think it's important before adding something like IP internet playability that all the bugs and flaws and loopholes of the game should be fixed first and foremost. Improving the AI top of the rung for the solo players and making sure PBEM is perfectly functional without any flaws or ability to "cheat". After that, then I have no qualms about adding something to the game like online or lan multiplayer feature.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

aletoledo

Post by aletoledo »

So far, I haven't taken over 5 minutes to complete two turns yet (movement and production).
wow, I haven't played a turn yet in less than 5 minutes! and yes I'm using simple supply rules. I still watch the combat animations for the more important battles though, so perhaps this is why?
Copper

Post by Copper »

I'm playing with FOW and Advanced supply and on average it takes me 10 minutes to finish a turn, TCP/IP would be a great addition.
"Whoes the commanding officer here?"
"Aint you!?" - Apocalypse Now
eMonticello

Post by eMonticello »

I have to agree with jpinard, you don't need TCP/IP to have a good time. Perhaps you'all can put the downtime waiting for your turn to good use by starting a reading group on WW2 topics! Each week, someone chooses a book that everyone must read prior to the game session. After a few weeks, you'll forget that TCP/IP even existed :)

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson
bssy

Post by bssy »

Full agreement with jpinard. This type of game is meant for single player and the base of single player customers is way larger than multi-player for this type of game. Resources would be better spent improving the ai, fixing bugs and adding additional features to improve base gameplay.
Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

I have to agree with jpinard, you don't need TCP/IP to have a good time.

I'm curious, but who are you to decide what we need to have a good time?
Perhaps you'all can put the downtime waiting for your turn to good use by starting a reading group on WW2 topics!

I would find chatting with my friends over an in game chat window to also be of good use.
Each week, someone chooses a book that everyone must read prior to the game session. After a few weeks, you'll forget that TCP/IP even existed

[8|]
Dalwin

Post by Dalwin »

I agree with the original poster.

It has nothing to do with technology.

This is a turn based game. In a 5 player game it could be an hour or more between your turns at times. I don't see it as making any sence to do this via TCP/IP.

PBEM and hotseat are perfectly adequate forms of multiplayer for a game like this. You can easily hang out in some chat program so that the next guy knows as soon as it is his turn. This would also allow players on the saem side to discuss strategy.

If they introduce TCP/IP play ans some peopel use it, so be it. I wouldn't want to spend that much time waiting. If it comes down to introducing this feature at the expense of some other enhancement to the game, I would not be in favor.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”