Ummm....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

incbob

Ummm....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by incbob »

Okay. I couldn't wait and I bought the DD.

Holy...explitive. I haven't even started the game yet, have read half of the PDF manual that I printed out and WOW. For those of you wondering, I bet the retail manual looks AWESOME.

Just got two questionss
1) I have head that they are working on a Civil War version using the GGWAW system. Is this true? Will it be official?

2) Is there anyway to make a generic GGWAW? Kind of let each person set up their own world powers/nationalities on a netural playing field. Kind of RISK using GGWAW. Sorry don't know any other way to say it.

I hope the answer to either or both of these is yes, because so far I am speechless. I was afraid this would be Axis & Allies. If so, it is Axis & Allies on PCP, Crack, and with a couple million years of evolution.
Joel Billings

RE: Ummm....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, we are working on an American Civil War game using the GGWaW system. Hope to have it ready in 2006.

It is possible to mod GGWaW by changing data files. We expect modders to create additional scenarios and to modify other parts of the game that can be accessed in the data files. I think the game is pretty locked into having no more than 2 sides, although there can be more than 2 players (obviously there are 5 in GGWaW).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
riley555a

Post by riley555a »

Do you mean "WOW" as in "WOW this a huge complex game!"? cause this game is very easy. It's a pretty fun game, it's like Risk on steroids, I didn't like playing the computer but playing other people is really fun. Just like Risk, it sucked playing it alone (computer version) but playing other people is lots of fun. But good job on the creators part, it's a well done game, I give it 8/10
Pft,damn the aircraft, full speed ahead....WAIT!....
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Riley,

I have to say, I think the AI on this one will give anyone a run for their money. What difficulty settings and what nations have you tried? I'd be very surprised if you've really worn out the single player side of things already.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
riley555a

Post by riley555a »

I don't think I played them long enough, it's not really that i'm bored of the AI, multiplayer is just so much funner. Playing it with my cousin.
Becket

Post by Becket »

ORIGINAL: riley555

Do you mean "WOW" as in "WOW this a huge complex game!"? cause this game is very easy. It's a pretty fun game, it's like Risk on steroids, I didn't like playing the computer but playing other people is really fun. Just like Risk, it sucked playing it alone (computer version) but playing other people is lots of fun. But good job on the creators part, it's a well done game, I give it 8/10

You've already reached the conclusion that playing the AI is not fun? I suppose it's a matter of taste. For the purposes of balancing this thread for other readers, I can honestly say I've not grown tired of playing the game over the last 9-10 months, whether AI or PBEM. PBEM, of course, rocks, but I like the AI games too.

Edit: ah, saw your revision and get your point now.

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

The AI still offers me challenges....granted, I am not the Bobby Fisher of GWAW by any means but I hold my own, and despite all of the games I have played while testing, I still have not played Japan as much as other testers, so that will be an entirely new experience for me once I get into that campaign.....there is a high replayability factor, even AI only, that you do not find in many games....
aletoledo

Post by aletoledo »

well, so far I have to say 'WOW' that its a hugely complex game. I don't play a lot of turn based strategy games, but I loved Axis&Allies (both computer and board).

I was expecting this to be a computer axis&allies times two kind of game, but it seems more like a factor of two! I suppose you mean its 'very easy' once you get the hang of it, because there seems like a lot of planning involved from the very start of the game as to how you're going to play it out. I see why now that there are some aspects that can be computer controlled, there just seems a lot you could get lost in each turn.
HardRock

Post by HardRock »

Well..I jumped in with all realism on having read nothing.
I couldn't take France in sum 40...

Ok..lets switch and take Britain. AI took France in one turn:) I manage to SR some stuff to the Med and Malta. After having to get sea control:)

I seem to be lacking supply:) I suspect I will have to breakdown and read the manual:)

I don't think anyone is gonna wiz through the AI on realism too soon:)

I would prefer standard unit counters rather than axis allies type units but...........;)
incbob

Post by incbob »

What I mean is I am surprised at the complexity. I don't think it is overly complex, but I didn't expect the degree that I am seeing. Also, I can already see by the way they created the game that they have given a lot of options on strategy. Very interesting. I am really looking forward to playing the game.

I really like the degree of complexity to the game. Take supply for instance. I like that you could play where you had to move all your own supply for every little thing. I will probably always play on Advanced Auto, but may try Advanced No Auto. I am really impressed how this was implemented. Just enough complexity to make you think, but not so much that you have to micromanage.
riley555a

Post by riley555a »

Once you learn common sense movement and master the production/research aspect it's all down hill in terms of a learning curve. Overall it's a farely complex game
but it's simple. It's not nearly as complex as Witp of course.

Hey Becket you ever watch The Sopranos? The guy in your avatar pic looks just like the character Johnny sack from that show.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”