I of the Enemy Gets 9 / 10

I of the Enemy is a unique real-time strategy game that focuses on a strong campaign story and tactical fighting as opposed to seeing who can collect resources the fastest.

Moderator: mtemple

JosephL

I of the Enemy Gets 9 / 10

Post by JosephL »

I understand there are some war-gamers out there who will never like RTS games and there are some RTS fans that are skeptical that I of the Enemy is worth playing:

However, I seriously believe that those who purchase this game are in for a surprise treat as they wind their way through the plot.

Game Tunnel agrees with me: They just gave I of the Enemy 9/10, with a perfect 10/10 in "sound" for the work in cutscenes.

Read it yourself here:

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/reviews-202.html

-Joe

Joseph Lieberman
mllange

RE: I of the Enemy Gets 9 / 10

Post by mllange »

No knock to the game... but it is helpful to remember that Game Tunnel only reviews games from independent developers and as such is a bit biased (leaning favorably toward their audience, which is normal and understandable). I can't comment on the entire game, but I for one am glad I played through the free version before making a decision. See for yourself!
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
mlmckeown

Post by mlmckeown »

I like the demo and I plan to get the full version of the
game. I hope in the coming weeks people will take the time an
download the demo. The overall feel of the game reminds me of
the classic RTS games like Dune and C&C ... [:)] I prefer RTS
games over FPS .. except if iD Software stuff Doom .Quake ..
stuff from them..

The people that review games need to step back from the eye
candy and review the game on a fun factor and stuff like that
IMO ...[;)]

RTS ... Games ...[&o] RULE ...!!! I give it a score of
8 stars out on 10 stars ...[:D]
Michael Mckeown

K7S5A AMD2200+ Mid-Tower system
1GB DDR2100 RAM
2 Maxtor 80 GB drive
1 DVD Drive 1 DVD-RW Drive
ATI 9600XT AGP + HDTV Wonder + USB 2 PCI card
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: mlmckeown

Though your in the majority, I think you will find many here who would disagree with that remark. RTS for me = Confusion,Chaos.

Turn based/wego offers a more structured way of gaming which aprat from two exceptions (Close Combat,HTTR) makes for a far deeper game experience.
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hi Guys

A lot has changed in both the Turn Base and the Real Time world. Take a look a lot has changed.

David
JosephL

Post by JosephL »

In the end we certainly won't twist your arm to buy it :-) Some people like RTSs, some people think they are totally confusing. I think David is right, they have changed a great deal since the Warcraft 2 days...

Worry not, Matrix has PLENTY of turn based thinker-strategy games on the way :-)

I like the idea of adding some variety to the Matrix Games selection... I think you'll see that over the coming year, but its important to know we are not turning our back on turn based games :-)

And Game Tunnel is biased only from the standpoint that it ONLY reviews independently developed games. It rates them relative to eachother, ergo, relative to other indie games IoE scores 9/10. Does that mean it is a AAA title like Warcraft 3? No, but compared to any other indie RTS titles (which there are a few) it is a cut above the rest.

After 6 reviews already IoE is averaging 79%: In my opinion, not bad at all :-)

-Joe
Joseph Lieberman
wodin

Post by wodin »

Don't get me wrong. I hope the game is a success.
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: wodin
ORIGINAL: mlmckeown

Though your in the majority, I think you will find many here who would disagree with that remark. RTS for me = Confusion,Chaos.

Turn based/wego offers a more structured way of gaming which aprat from two exceptions (Close Combat,HTTR) makes for a far deeper game experience.
ROFL...Wodin, you are 100% correct, if it doesn't have a hex or an end turn button what is it?[:D]
On the other hand, Dawn Of War was one of the most thrilling, visceral games i had the pleasure of playing recently[X(]. I have to admit though, it's all about the graphics if i put a RTS on my rig[;)].
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

mlmckeown

Post by mlmckeown »

Don't get me wrong, I like turn based games. I'm just
alittle bit picker with them. One of my favorites is the
X-Com Defense game ....

I'm straying away ... from my old games ... and going
with some newer ones. I still play TA ... AOE ... EA ..
Also, here is a old but still good game Enemy Nations ...
made by WindWard Studios ... You can D/L that for FREE ..
now. The only issue it was designed for Win2K and Win9x
systems. WinXP has a few issues with it ... But still a
very good game ...

I'm looking forward to getting my hands the full version
of this game ....
Michael Mckeown

K7S5A AMD2200+ Mid-Tower system
1GB DDR2100 RAM
2 Maxtor 80 GB drive
1 DVD Drive 1 DVD-RW Drive
ATI 9600XT AGP + HDTV Wonder + USB 2 PCI card
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Who the hell is "gametunnel" Man you are digging deep to get a good review of this game. lol

Let's see what Gamespy, Gamespot, & Gamerankings gives it; the (3) most popular review sites on the internet.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Who the hell is "gametunnel" Man you are digging deep to get a good review of this game. lol

Let's see what Gamespy, Gamespot, & Gamerankings gives it; the (3) most popular review sites on the internet.

I've yet to see a bad review of it. Where it will suffer at the sites you mention is for the graphics.. which are in all honesty circa 1998, and the "reader reviews" will slag it off for that reason, too. Virtually all the turn-based games I play suffered the same fate, or would have done if those sites had even reviewed them.

Gumetunnel is is an indie games sites and IotE is an indie game. There's no getting around that, and Matrix havn't tried. It may not be as pretty as "Battle for Middle Earth" and similar games, but its a lot cheaper, gives a much bigger challenge and is much more strategy and less click-like-crazy.

Those who enjoy challenging RTS games and who can live without the eye-candy will get a lot out of the game, those who don't, won't.
JosephL

Post by JosephL »

Gametunnel is the largest indie-only review site on the internet and has been featured on G4TV and gets slashdotted about 3 times a year for their special awards (including "Indie Game of the Year, of which IoE ranked in the top 10).

-Joe
Joseph Lieberman
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

Cranky again ?

Read about "Gametunnel" before you try to come up with comments about it.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Post all of the reviews instead of the unheard of sites that just sugar coat your games and I won't have to read about some unheard of site. Where's your posting of the Gamespy review of Gary Grigsby's War at War eh? You know the one that gave it 2-1/2 stars 50% hrmmm?
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Post all of the reviews instead of the unheard of sites that just sugar coat your games and I won't have to read about some unheard of site. Where's your posting of the Gamespy review of Gary Grigsby's War at War eh? You know the one that gave it 2-1/2 stars 50% hrmmm?

Erm... I may be missing something, but aren't Matrix here to sell their games, no act as some sort of review collection site for them? Of course they will draw attention to good reviews, and ignore not so good ones - just the same as every other publisher! If you want the full spectrum of opinion, use Google, the same as everybody else.

As to IotE, as far as I can see neither Gamespy or Gamespot have reviewed it. All Gamesrankings does is collect other people's scores. And quite why you think so sites are so much more relevant than others I'm not sure.

I did find reviews at Gamershell

"For an independent game this is a definite winner. It could be better, but it offers an old familiarity with a new twist. Hopefully Enemy Technology will learn from their minor mistakes and will continue to create even better games in the future. It’s always nice to see what the independent gaming community is up to because they usually offer something fresh.

Graphics: 6.5
Sound : 6.5
Gameplay : 7.5
Multiplayer : 7.5
Overall : 6.8"

and Strategyinformer

"For a budget title, Enemy Technology gives you plenty of bite for your buck, even with the less than stellar game maps. The beautiful cut scenes, as well as the absorbing game play and story lines more than make up for any of the game's possible short comings. If you want a fun, low cost Sci Fi RTS, by all means, pick up I of the Enemy. 7.7 "

You don't even need reviews for this game, you can download a "demo" that is actually a full game in itself from the developers site and see what YOU think!

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Why would we emphasize a review we disagree with, and which other reviews disagree with?

On top of that, do you know how often major game sites review smaller "indie"-style games? It happens, but it's a lot less often than specialty sites like GameTunnel. If we have a good review, we'll post it, regardless of whether the reviewer is one of the top three major game sites/mags or not. I don't see why you would expect something different.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Hertston
You don't even need reviews for this game, you can download a "demo" that is actually a full game in itself from the developers site and see what YOU think!

Thanks Hertston, well put. It's really not hard to find out that major sites don't review many smaller games and that there are other good reviews out there about I of the Enemy.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
MemoryLeak

RE: ravinhood

Post by MemoryLeak »

The one drawback to forums is it allows any idiot with a keyboard to waste other poeple's time by posting mindless drivel in threads. Of course they are incapable of seeing through their own hate and negativity that taints their posts.

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

... you can download a "demo" that is actually a full game in itself from the developers site and see what YOU think!

Huh ? what do you mean ? is this a demo or a fulll game for free ? (kind of promotion action)

I will try it. I of course prefer turn based hex based games but Ihave nothing against to try a good RTS (even if I never played one in the past appart the settlers series years ago)
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
JosephL

Post by JosephL »

Its 5 mission "full" game that gives you the back story of I of the Enemy.
Joseph Lieberman

Return to “I of the Enemy”