newcomers to strategy wargame

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

newcomers to strategy wargame

Post by Zap »

If your new to this type of game you might want to take these points to heart.

A.) Learn to enjoy the play speed of this game. Important [/color] don,t loose patience because you have to learn the rules and read a manual.
In this type of game you will want to savor the plan of attack/ development of the battle as the game plays out.
This game will bring you a great thrill that you cannot experience in FPS/RTS games. These games are similar to a chess game, just more complex.

B.) Emotions Don,t let your emotions get the best of you. There is a certain civility and curtiousness that seems to be present in the Strategey game player (not that there are not some discussions amongst us). But if you stick around long enough you too will be able to admire and offer positive comments about your opponents play.

wodin

RE: newcomers to strategy wargame

Post by wodin »

I agree both points are true. A in particular.

You WILL NOT ENJOY the game until you've learnt the mechanics and style of play (remember operational games require a different strategy than tactical and Grand Strategy is different again. Playing a tactical game the way you play an operational will definately mean you lose. Visualise the hex size and unit size). HOWEVER once you've put in some effort to learn the system/mechanics you will find a far deeper and more satisfying game than in your typical RTS. You will also have FUN!
Zap

Post by Zap »

Thanks, for weighing in I was hoping others would chime in with their insights. I noticed a few posts recently were from newcomers.

I have one other insight. Directed more to those 13 to 18 year olds. You might notice while playing that you are fascinated by the bad guys. By that I mean, the countries that were trying to conquer the world. So you might think you are going over to the dark side! Don't fret, it,s just one of the weaknesses of human nature. Just like people were fascinated with gangsters ect.
When the chess game was thought up, years ago, it treated of real war. And today we consider it just a game. We don,t make a morale choice when we play it. The difference is that WWII/Civil War battles we reenact happened closer to us, so you tend have more feelings about it.
You may want to try and approach this problem by realizing that you are strictly playing this game for the entertainment. And in no way are condoning the evils perpatrated by those leaders.
What we are admiring is the military prowess of the valiant army/soldiers who had to fight these wars.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Hrmmm I dunno when I started playing chess I always wanted to play the darker pieces. But, in wargames I usually like to play the Americans or in Civil War games the Rebels. Then again in Afrika Korp games I like playing the Germans just to crush ole Monty. hehe
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Zap

Post by Zap »

I have to agree with you on your preferences. I like both sides you mentioned.
The germans because their army was a finely tuned machine(if you can use those terms talking about an army).
The Confederates because they seemed so courageous even with the poor equipment and poor supply problems. They had some great generals.

Yes if your a gamer I don't see why you would,nt like those two.
coregames

Post by coregames »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Hrmmm I dunno when I started playing chess I always wanted to play the darker pieces. But, in wargames I usually like to play the Americans or in Civil War games the Rebels. Then again in Afrika Korp games I like playing the Germans just to crush ole Monty. hehe
In WWII terms as they relate to chess, the white pieces go first, so they must be the Axis right? Not all those wearing white hats are the good guys...
"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson

Return to “General Discussion”