Japan v. AI AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Becket

Japan v. AI AAR

Post by Becket »

I definitely need help with Japan. Practice makes perfect, so I decided to set up a custom difficulty game.

First, I knew that (a) I wanted a robust Germany, (b) I didn't want China to get supply help, so that I could focus against the WA, and (c) I wanted a challenging WA, but not one with a transport advantage.

So, I set difficulty to Challenging, then set about customizing it. I gave the Germans +1 die roll modifiers, to help them fight the two front war. I removed Soviet & Chinese supply help, so that the Soviets will need lend lease from the WA, and so that I can actually practice strategies designed to immobilize China (hard to immobilize a force if it constantly gets supply). Lastly, I set WA's transport level back to 100%, like mine. The WA has enough transports as it is.

Here's the preferences screen:

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky
Becket

RE: Japan v. AI AAR

Post by Becket »

Okay. Last game I wasted a lot of supply early by using my carrier fleets to bomb China. I try to avoid that this turn, but I still want to bomb the heck out of it, so I move the carrier air units to China, along with all of my other bomber elements.

I don't have much of an attack this round, just some minor damage to one of the coastal provinces.

I start researching infantry evasion, bomber & carrier air ship attack, and sub evasion & attack. Here's my research screen:

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky
Becket

Post by Becket »

Summer 1940

(Note: Germany bombed the hell out of Scotland, wonder what they're up to...)

I took Siam and both Chinese coastal provinces to up my resource count. Taking Foochow (the chinese coastal province nearest Japan) meant bombing the militia there first to kill them, then sending in my army.

You see, when you invade Chinese provinces, militia are instantly created to resist. So, I wanted the province clear when I invaded.

No casualties on the invasion, but later when I sent my planes to Changsha to bomb the Chinese forces there, I had two units damaged. Grr.

Spent a lot of supply to repair the rail & resources in the captured territories. Will need to build back to 100 supply+ by Fall 1941, when I intend to attack the WA.

Becket

Post by Becket »

Fall 1940

Horrible luck this turn. I bomb Changsha again and lose 3 planes to flak, and kill only 2 Chinese militia. Ugh.

Repairing all of these planes is costing a ton of production. I will likely need to send an army into Changsha to reduce the size of the force there.

Becket

Post by Becket »

Winter 1941

Ugh. Another horrible exchange in Changsha: two air units for two militia units. The Air units just aren't taking out the Chinese flak, so I'm getting killed.

It's really costing me in production, so the air campaign is officially over. Time to shift to preparations for Pearl Harbor.

Becket

Post by Becket »

Spring 1941

I launch a massive land assault against Changsha. The combat analyzer tells me I may lose 9 units, but the Chinese will lose 10. I lose 8, and the Chinese lose 10, including one of the flak units. Of course, 6 Chinese militia were created during the invasion, so the relative losses for China were light. Still, it meant that good Chinese infantry were replaced with useless Chinese militia. I'll take that.

No resources for production this turn, but I'll have the rest of the year to get ready. I hope.

Becket

Post by Becket »

Summer 1941

It is appallingly clear that I have no clue how to manage the Japanese economy. I have 5 supply to my name. Thus, I attack Changsha. Why not?

I build 30 supply for the next turn. I am woefully unprepared to attack the US. I estimate Summer 1942 before I feel prepared.

Becket

Post by Becket »

Fall 1941

I should mention that the WA has taken much of North Africa, but the German assault into the Soviet Union has been relentless. The SU has chosen to make its stands at Leningrad and Moscow.

I reduce the Changsha garrison a bit more - all AA has been destroyed. I move my air units back to the area so that I can pound them into oblivion next turn.

I order up some supply and transports.

Here's the world map:

Becket

Post by Becket »

Winter 1942

Operation: Screw Fecking China.

With the AA in Changsha destroyed, I bombed the hell out of it, sending 5 carrier air, two heavy bombers, one tac air and two fighters. Destroyed around 7 ground pounders.

Flushed with this success, I sent my land forces in an all out attack and seized three inland Chinese provinces, effectively removing the Chinese as a fighting force. As it stands now, I hope to attack the US in 3 turns.

Becket

Post by Becket »

Spring 42

Mostly spent smacking Chunking around a bit, to soften them up to be taken in Summer 42.

Becket

Post by Becket »

Summer 42

Chunking falls!

With that, the Chinese offensive is nearly over. I may take Lanchow, the factory on the northern Chunking border, but I'm not sure yet. My time table is very much off.

The Germans have surrounded Moscow, but have lost the entirety of North Africa. Should be interesting.

Becket

Post by Becket »

Fall 42

We'll have 80 supply for PH Day, next turn. Memo to self: do not leave entire fleet trapped at PH.

Becket

Post by Becket »

FYI -- I'm going to be restarting this AAR tomorrow or Friday with a new game.

Pocus

Post by Pocus »

what is your research strategy with the Japs exactly? I noticed you choose to boost the NAV and SUB units, which can make sense, but have you noticed that you light fleets have already a tremendous torp capabilities that can be further increased at a low cost... And light fleets are really a workhorse for the Japs...

Also your attack on first turn against Siam let you have one more resource, but unless I'm mistaken you dont qualify anymore for the 3 resources granted by the WA.

nice AAR, continue, I wonder how it will unfold against PH.
AGEOD Team
Becket

Post by Becket »

My ineptitude with the Japanese knows no bounds. [:)]

I had to abandon this game for testing reasons, but plan to start another.

Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: Pocus

Also your attack on first turn against Siam let you have one more resource, but unless I'm mistaken you dont qualify anymore for the 3 resources granted by the WA.

You are correct. Taking Siam early in the game is not a good move as it costs you the US gift. Also, after the first turn, you'd be getting the Siam resource through free trade anyway, so why take it and be forced to repair the resource? Later, it can make sense to take it, but as long as you're getting the US gift you should stay out of Saim. Pocus, you seem to be figuring out this game pretty quickly.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

bah, I play wargames since the 80's.

But I think I said a stupidity... Rethinking about how it would be better to upgrade the light fleets compared to the subs, I did not took into account how starving in supply the Japs can be, and at 3 supplies the extended move, I'm now unsure it would be wise to build more light ships...

Well, I started my own Japs game yesterday! Darn they have lost the war before even starting it (well thats historical one can say!). A mere 13 resources a turn... you have to choose between producing units or having them supplied basicly (if you take for granted that they should research a little before war break out).

What can be a valid strategy for them? I almost subdued China before Pearl Harbor (The chinese only kept 3 provinces with one lone factory) but its like a Pyrrhus victory as you have to garrison with half of your land army so that the Chinese dont revolts. So... what can be a good move that - at least - postpone the final outcome?
AGEOD Team
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I don't see how Japan can afford to research anything until 1942. They simply have too little production until they can caputure enough resources (either in Russia, China and/or South East Asia) to get their production up to 20. To do this, they have to build supplies so they can quickly repair the resources captured. Of course, long term, this makes them fodder for the Allies, but if they do well in 41/42, they can get some research going in time before the Allies can crush them.

As for China, yes, Japan can take China, but as you said, the garrison required to hold it makes you wonder if it's something worth having. The only thing Japan has going for it is that the Allies need to concentrate on defeating Germany and usually can't afford to focus on Japan until they know that Russia is safe and Germany is going to be defeated. This is very important as it can allow Japan time to go after India and/or Australia. There's also the strategy of using Japan to go after Russia, but if Russia is not taken out, this will leave Japan unprepared to fight the Allies.

My thinking is that in 1940-42 Japan should try to research at most 1 item, with all other resources spent on building supplies and building up the army or air force (depending who you are going to fight). Of course I could be wrong.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

it makes sense yes. 1 item ... 2 at most. They must be well integrated with the strategic thoughts of Japan. Evasion on Subs? Naval bombers with one more range, etc. ? The choices are hard.

Well rethinking again of China I think its anyway a good thing to either take them out, or reduce them to one factory. Because even if the garrison needs are dire, these units would be anyway immobilized fighting the Chinese. The problem that remains is the cost in supply, perhaps 100 or so.
AGEOD Team
incbob

Post by incbob »

I am glad to see that I am not the only one having problems with Japan. Man, they can be a tough nut

Return to “After Action Reports”