Hey! Czech it out.

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

minefield

RE: Cheap Sherman

Post by minefield »

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead

Minefield, I understood IBTyrone to mean two identical tanks that had a "price" difference by nation. The U.S. Sherman above has more armor, a different gun and probably several other features that account for the difference in cost (which may also include a difference in experience and skill between national crews).

Picky picky picky...
edit: Before you pick this one apart, yes it does have a different gun. I can't find another 76 with the exact specs because there isn't supposed to be another 76 with those specs. The Free France tank has the wrong gun.

So consider this an example of 'the same tank with a helluva lot better gun'.
Attachments
m4a1.gif
m4a1.gif (23.41 KiB) Viewed 44 times
never cross a minefield
minefield

Post by minefield »

ORIGINAL: Goblin

The cost in the editor is the base cost before factoring in True-Troop.

These two tanks still should have been much closer. I know where I'm buying my 76 armed M4's from now on, lol.

Didja see the Panther with the 37mm gun instead of one of its MG's. I think its in the French OOB. I love the little extra fire-power...[X(]

Goblin

The 37mm fires a special 'message' round. After you climb out of the burning wreck that used to be your tank, you hear this voice in German, "You've just been ownorzed!!!!!oneoneone

Attachments
panther.gif
panther.gif (23.09 KiB) Viewed 44 times
never cross a minefield
mosh

Post by mosh »

Boys are having fun, -uh? [:D]

remember then to backup everything you are intended to edit. I'll suggest that when your inner "Monsterous Editorialis" gets loose, you'll do second installation of SpwawXX, and have fun with other, and play multiplayergames/MCs Only with other installation. At its best I've had seven differend version, nine installations, and you can imagine how hard it is to remember wich was wich, but demand comes first, then compatibility...

just thought of warning...[8|]

salute

mosh aka skukko
If its not rotten, shoot again.
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

Yeah Goblin, that Panther is sweet!

Sorry if I pushed your buttons, Minefield. I wasn't trying to cross you.
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
minefield

Post by minefield »

ORIGINAL: mosh

Boys are having fun, -uh? [:D]

remember then to backup everything you are intended to edit. I'll suggest that when your inner "Monsterous Editorialis" gets loose, you'll do second installation of SpwawXX, and have fun with other, and play multiplayergames/MCs Only with other installation. At its best I've had seven differend version, nine installations, and you can imagine how hard it is to remember wich was wich, but demand comes first, then compatibility...

just thought of warning...[8|]

salute

mosh aka skukko

LOL best post ever. Those are REAL IN THE GAME UNITS!
never cross a minefield
minefield

Post by minefield »

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead

Yeah Goblin, that Panther is sweet!

Sorry if I pushed your buttons, Minefield. I wasn't trying to cross you.

Nah should've put a *smile* at the end of that post. We're cool.
never cross a minefield
skukko

Post by skukko »

Yeah, I did notice what they are.

Are you going to use them, or are you going to change them?
"To pbem or not to pbem?" -hamlet

salute

mosh
salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again
minefield

Post by minefield »

ORIGINAL: skukko

salute

mosh

Ehh? I'm not going to use them because they are screwed up units. I can't change them because this is the final release of the game; if I change my OOBs then I can't play with anyone with the standard v8.3 OOBs.
never cross a minefield
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

While I understand the value of PBEM play, I still would rather tweak the OOBs to my personal liking and play against the AI, such as it is. There are ways to improve its force selection (via the editor). I'm just an obsessive with historical force selections, so forgive me. The "gaminess" of PBEM play just doesn't appeal to me, but to each his own.

As of now, I can play a USMC vs Japan long campaign that will offer me challenges. I gotta thank Major Destruction for his work on the Japanese--in 8.3 they are some tough opponents.

My next objective is to tweak the AI forces vs the Germans in a long campaign setting. The Poles are pretty good already. I'm not sure about the other Allied countries, yet. Any hints would be appreciated.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: minefield
ORIGINAL: skukko

salute

mosh

Ehh? I'm not going to use them because they are screwed up units. I can't change them because this is the final release of the game; if I change my OOBs then I can't play with anyone with the standard v8.3 OOBs.

Minefield, I would think that in a PBEM match, one would be limited to choosing units from the nation they represent, as opposed to picking & choosing from the various nations. This is what I meant about "gaminess". Do you want a reasonably historical matchup, which is what SPWAW is all about, or a "fantasy" game?
minefield

Post by minefield »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
Minefield, I would think that in a PBEM match, one would be limited to choosing units from the nation they represent, as opposed to picking & choosing from the various nations. This is what I meant about "gaminess". Do you want a reasonably historical matchup, which is what SPWAW is all about, or a "fantasy" game?

While your experiences with PBEM may have led you to believe it was gamey, not all PBEM games are created equal. Some players prefer not to be limited at all in force selection, some prefer reasonable force selection (not all Tigers and Panthers), and some want very strict force selection based on the formations present at that location at that time. It is all up to the players to discuss this beforehand so that they have an enjoyable game. Of course not all battles in WWII consisted entirely of one nation against another. Some players like to play Allies vs Axis, and this is where the accuracy of the minor nation OOBs comes in.

This variety in game play can be found in solo play as well. There are some scenarios that use historical force selection and some that are purely 'what-if' or even really out there (tank-o-rama comes to mind).

Obviously I'm striving for a more historical gaming experience. My preferences over at the Depot state that I prefer not to face motorcycles, cavalry, and bicycles unless there is proof they were involved in combat for the time period and nations we are using. I believe these units are modeled poorly and I get tired of seeing cavalry repeatedly rally and run through the fire of multiple MGs to assault a tank. My activity on this post shows my efforts to point out errors in the OOBs so that players will be aware of this beforehand. It is very unlikely that a player will be able to use his edited OOBs for PBEM as the other player would have to go through the OOB to make sure it was corrected rather than modified for cheating. So all we can do is point out the units that are screwed up and ask our opponents not to use these. The 8 cost infantry squad and the panther with an extra main gun are just a few examples.

Since one nation's OOB is limited to x number of units, the designers often put less common units in other nations as another person has stated above. Czech's OOB contains some German units IIRC. So it is not far-fetched that someone would want to use minor nation units in a battle--it might even make the battle more historically accurate.
never cross a minefield
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

You are right, minefield. I apologize for being so testy in my reply. [:o] Let me buy you a drink.
minefield

Post by minefield »

cheers
never cross a minefield
skukko

Post by skukko »

You've said it Minefield

cheers
salute

mosh