"War In The Pacific" did you SEE the PRICE!!!

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Titanwarrior89

RE: "War In The Pacific" did you SEE the PRICE!!!

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Yep he was Pelted, but who's going to clean up this mess. Not me.[:D]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
emorbius44

Post by emorbius44 »

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
ORIGINAL: jjax

Come, on people, can any one tell me this game is worth the price!!!! How can you explain a 70 dollar (90 for a poor canadian like me) price tag for a game. Until there is a price drop im just going to complain and complain and complain........[:@].

It's your decision, of course, but if you've serious interest in the period then this is the only game in town. Indeed, my feeling is Matrix/2By3 priced it rather conservatively. I'm dead sure most of its users would have paid more without so much as a murmur.

Both Matrix and GG (not Joel--sorry, Joel [:D]) have excellent track records for after-market support of their products. Throw in the work of third-party developers and WitP is hands down cheap at its price.

Look at it this way. WitP has years of intrinsic playability in it. Now just think for a minute and see if you can say that honestly about very many other recreational-software titles. So if you don't buy it all you stand to gain is an afternoon's work, whereas you'll be out countless hours of . . . shall we say, satisfaction?

One other plus. You're bound to meet some interesting people in the forum if you should decide to plunge. Hell, you might even learn something in the process.

Assuming all that's true (and it is), what's not to like about WitP? At its price it's cheap!

Guess who you come across when you surf the forum! SSI, Pacwar, Grigsby, Landrey, Prodigy and DOS seem like another lifetime.LOL Is this an amazing game or what? The technology finally caught up with what they couldn't do last time around. It's an amazing game (or did I already say that?). Don't have the time to play alot of games anymore but I make time for this one. Usually put a couple of hours into each turn. Up to March 15 so far. Been doing about a turn a day.
As far as the question is concerned this is probably a $40 game in 1980's dollars and look at what you get. 2by3 may never try something this big and detailed again but if this is the last game like this they sure went out on a high note.
This game gives an endless amount of play. It's worth every penny and then some. When I think of all the dud software that has come out. Remember Patriot, Universal military simulator and Earl Weaver II? LOL This game delivers everything and is damn stable. I'm not sure the japanese really had as much supply as I've had early on but I'll take every break I can get. I know it's just a matter of time until my planes are nothing but target drones for the allies. LOL.
Great running into you Tris!!!!

Bob
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

" Or if you're single you'll never find that special someone. "

Oh, but I have! Her name is Mavis, no - wait - Emily. No, It's Kate... I mean Val. Err.. Lily?
fair winds,
Brad
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

" Or if you're single you'll never find that special someone. "

Oh, but I have! Her name is Mavis, no - wait - Emily. No, It's Kate... I mean Val. Err.. Lily?

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
pad152

Post by pad152 »

JJAX

How can you explain games like WOW - World of Warcraft?

First you pay $50.00+ for the game, and then you pay $15.00 for each additional month of play!

Now which is cheaper!
Witp cost $70.00 + $0.00 for six months or years of game play.
WOW cost $50.00 + $60.00 for six months of game play.

I just don't get it[&:]
Lonewolfpj

Post by Lonewolfpj »

I love the game it is by the far the best war game out there. The freedom that is givin to you is stagering. I love how each time I play the game it is complety diffrent.
DISCLAIMER: Poster makes no guarantee that the above expressed information is accurate, complete, current, funny, new, spelled correctly, or grammatically correct.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

ORIGINAL: Lonewolfpj

I love the game it is by the far the best war game out there. The freedom that is givin to you is stagering. I love how each time I play the game it is complety diffrent.

the only thing I complain is, the font size is too small and I have found nowhere to change it [&:]
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

ORIGINAL: Zeke

the only thing I complain is, the font size is too small and I have found nowhere to change it [&:]

More readable font is expected with the 1.5 patch.

BYE
BraveHome

Post by BraveHome »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

As I tend to point out to people, this game is cheaper then the Sims or SimCity. Just because it costs more then a silly FPS like HL2 which takes 40 hours to finish really doesn't mean much. Anyone finished WitP yet? [:D]

"A new degree of intellectual power seems cheap at any price" (Emerson)
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

"I saw the price and the price one".. to the tune from " I fought the law and the law one"

sorry to oall those not spelling challenge"won" not "one" hehehe
"Tanks forward"
Tristanjohn

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: emorbius44

Come, on people, can any one tell me this game is worth the price!!!! How can you explain a 70 dollar (90 for a poor canadian like me) price tag for a game. Until there is a price drop im just going to complain and complain and complain........[:@].

It's your decision, of course, but if you've serious interest in the period then this is the only game in town. Indeed, my feeling is Matrix/2By3 priced it rather conservatively. I'm dead sure most of its users would have paid more without so much as a murmur.

Both Matrix and GG (not Joel--sorry, Joel [:D]) have excellent track records for after-market support of their products. Throw in the work of third-party developers and WitP is hands down cheap at its price.

Look at it this way. WitP has years of intrinsic playability in it. Now just think for a minute and see if you can say that honestly about very many other recreational-software titles. So if you don't buy it all you stand to gain is an afternoon's work, whereas you'll be out countless hours of . . . shall we say, satisfaction?

One other plus. You're bound to meet some interesting people in the forum if you should decide to plunge. Hell, you might even learn something in the process.

Assuming all that's true (and it is), what's not to like about WitP? At its price it's cheap!

Guess who you come across when you surf the forum! SSI, Pacwar, Grigsby, Landrey, Prodigy and DOS seem like another lifetime.LOL Is this an amazing game or what? The technology finally caught up with what they couldn't do last time around. It's an amazing game (or did I already say that?). Don't have the time to play alot of games anymore but I make time for this one. Usually put a couple of hours into each turn. Up to March 15 so far. Been doing about a turn a day.
As far as the question is concerned this is probably a $40 game in 1980's dollars and look at what you get. 2by3 may never try something this big and detailed again but if this is the last game like this they sure went out on a high note.
This game gives an endless amount of play. It's worth every penny and then some. When I think of all the dud software that has come out. Remember Patriot, Universal military simulator and Earl Weaver II? LOL This game delivers everything and is damn stable. I'm not sure the japanese really had as much supply as I've had early on but I'll take every break I can get. I know it's just a matter of time until my planes are nothing but target drones for the allies. LOL.

Bob

Pleasure's mine, I assure you, sir.

My email bounced to you earlier so I posted a "special" for you to come out of the woods and give me more detailed contact information. Then I re-read your email and saw you'd included your actual email address (my mail server had it as coming from ********@inna.net for some reason) and phone number so there's no problem now.

Yes, it's a pity this game didn't work out way back when--can you believe it's been that long? I still have that 5 1/4" floppy with the original PacWar time scale on it! (I've refused to throw it out over the years--just couldn't bear the thought, I guess. See, everyone, what an old softy I really am? [:D])

Is anyone else from the old crowd around here that you know of? I've completely lost track of everyone from Steve's Delphi forum, and don't even mention Prodigy and CompuServe and the rest of the places we used to so religiously haunt. In fact I've literally grown old forgetting this stuff.

That's about all for the moment. If you get a chance (sounds like you're awful busy now--teaching kids must consume loads of time) hang out here and post your ongoing thoughts of the game and perhaps some AAR notes from your PBEM with Mike. I'd read that one avidly!

Later,

Tris
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
BraveHome

Post by BraveHome »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

"I saw the price and the price one".. to the tune from " I fought the law and the law one"

"A cheap price is a short cut to being cheated." (Chinese proverb, to any country tune [:D]).
2Stepper

Post by 2Stepper »

[:D]

You know? I've been off the board for a while dealing with family loss, etc and it always gives me a laugh to come back to this sort of obvious "flame" of a game that I personally love. LOL! It shows the sort of investment into the game that loyal players have put forth, hence 3 pages of replys already and not a lick of response from the person that made the initial comment.

Always find that interesting... The gentleman in me is contemplating offers of cheese to said individual just now, but methinks that would be superfluous. LOL!!

ACK! What am I saying?!?!? Thats just bloody silly!!!!!!!!!!!![X(][:D] This is the best 70 bucks on a game, PARTICULARLY a wargame that I've ever spent! While I enjoy all manner of games, this one totally appeals to the "Grog" at heart that I am.

There... I've blasted out my obvious support to Matrix and 2b3 for this gem... Now, back to the game...

Sail on lads... Tis good to be back. [8D]
"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
BraveHome

Post by BraveHome »

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper

It shows the sort of investment into the game that loyal players have put forth, hence 3 pages of replys already and not a lick of response from the person that made the initial comment.

"No lick possible when mouth dry" (dubious Chinese proverb)

Welcome back!
ZOOMIE1980

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: emorbius44

Bob

Ironic that technology (i.e a 32bit flat address space) allowed a game coded in an old DOS style to have arrays of big enough dimensions, allocated on a heap, to be able to scale up to a game of this size. Problem is, they stayed with a 1980's vintage coding style which naturally leads to the kind of bugs (ala these leader bugs) that everyone continues to see. Fortunately, in their new titles, GG and many other Matrix Partners are finally discovering OO techniques and other more modern styles and techniques that should make future titles a LOT more bug-free and bugs when found, easier to fix.....
ZOOMIE1980

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper

You know? I've been off the board for a while dealing with family loss, etc and it always gives me a laugh to come back to this sort of obvious "flame" of a game that I personally love. LOL! It shows the sort of investment into the game that loyal players have put forth, hence 3 pages of replys already and not a lick of response from the person that made the initial comment.

Always find that interesting... The gentleman in me is contemplating offers of cheese to said individual just now, but methinks that would be superfluous. LOL!!

ACK! What am I saying?!?!? Thats just bloody silly!!!!!!!!!!!![X(][:D] This is the best 70 bucks on a game, PARTICULARLY a wargame that I've ever spent! While I enjoy all manner of games, this one totally appeals to the "Grog" at heart that I am.

There... I've blasted out my obvious support to Matrix and 2b3 for this gem... Now, back to the game...

Sail on lads... Tis good to be back. [8D]

WitP is a love-hate relationship with the experienced players. Once you get past the initial learning curve, you start to want to fine tune your operations ever more, and that's when we run into the intractible bugs and limitations in the game. We love it, but the more we love it, the more want from it but it's all we are ever going to get. We love land combat on the atolls and islands but deplore it in China. We love the abstraction of the hex, and deplore it at the same time. We still have trouble with how Coastal Guns work but can;t imagine not having them. Everyone hates the leader bug(s) but we all keep on playing, anyway. We love/hate/tolerate research, upgrades and we love and hate dealing with inidivual pilots at the same time.
von Murrin

Post by von Murrin »

Geez, the thread that wouldn't die...

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

Stop Milking the horse and beating a dead cow. Jeez.

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
von Murrin

Post by von Murrin »

Stop being punny or there'll be some cowlateral damage.
I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

"In the service, we must always choose the lesser of two weevils."

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”