GGWAW or HOI2?

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

gunnergoz

RE: GGWAW or HOI2?

Post by gunnergoz »

One thing about HOI2 - you can modify the AI files and scripts so there is always going to be room to improve things from the vanilla. I have a hunch that I'm going to spend at least as much time on GGWAW however, since I expect good things from this team and they seldom disappoint.
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
BoerWar

Post by BoerWar »

Isnt HOI2 up to mod 1.1

Did you upgrade it?

I had 1.1 installed. Its still weak. The good thing about WitP and GGWAW (i hope) is that as turn based games you can play a PBEM opponent.
keyser soze

Post by keyser soze »

To be honest, my main favorite is Strategic Command 2. I have HOI 2 and it is too complex for my taste. As Ravinhood have said - complex does not necessarily mean a better game. I will buy GGWAW, of course. At least, it will have, for sure, better interface then HOI 2.[:'(]
dog

Post by dog »

IF...you can only buy one?....buy waw......Ive got hoi, and although it is a well developed, and very interesting game, its got some before mentioned shortcomings [:-]...The one thing that i personally find lacking is the combat...its resolution is well thought out, but the actual experience of combat taking place is quite bland, and very milk toast.....its a good game, worth its $40 price tag....but im still just another junkie waiting in line for the best looking strategy game to come out in a Long time [&o]
mavraam

Post by mavraam »

ORIGINAL: keyser soze

To be honest, my main favorite is Strategic Command 2. I have HOI 2 and it is too complex for my taste. As Ravinhood have said - complex does not necessarily mean a better game. I will buy GGWAW, of course. At least, it will have, for sure, better interface then HOI 2.[:'(]

Yeah, but SC2 is supposed to come out Q2. I think we all know what that means, September at the earliest.

I can't wait that long!
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Just long enough to learn and enjoy the idiosyncracies of GGWaW....and then SC2, with its simple, deceiving looks, but possessing a subtle depth of complexity created in your own mind, instead of the UI. Which means a decent AI...ever notice that the ratio of complexity is directly proportional to a competent AI...in most cases? I won't mention the TOAW like editor, that most assuredly will eclipse any Strategic level WW2 game on the market for longevity. Well worth waiting for. I intend to have both!
norvandave

Post by norvandave »

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey

Well worth waiting for. I intend to have both!

Agree with SeaMonkey, HOI doesn't appeal, but I really enjoyed SC and I'm really looking forward to SC2. I have not been a fan of GG games in the past, but this one catches my fancy. So if the AI doesn't suck I will buy WAW too. I like Operational scope games (such as TOAW) and Strategic scope games the most, so I'm also really looking forward to Combined Arms with its WEGO approach.

I read somewhere that we are living in the golden age of computer wargaming, and I couldn't agree more. Since I just don't have the time to boardgame any longer. I miss playing the oldies like 3rd Reich and Squad Leader.

My brother just go Kingmaker from Ebay. What a blast from the past playing that one again at Christmas! But I digress...
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.
steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

I'm coming at this one from the opposite 'end', as it were. I love HOI*, I'm still waiting for my copy of HOI2 to come from Amazon.co.uk, and I'll wait and see how that works out for me before casting my eye on GGWaW with a view to purchase. But it's good that competition exists, and that games catering for slightly differing tastes are produced like this! More power to Matrix and GG, and I look forward to the ACW game...

Steve.

* I love EU2 even more - it's what I'm playing at home this week...
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
gunships69

star wars rebellion and HOI , darkest hour ww2

Post by gunships69 »

Hi Mate , i have a rebellion mod so the game plays very real and so much more in it i would say it 100 times better
ratthaixxxx@gmail.com all units now fight like they should , land and ships and many more missions you can do .Dennis ,,all the bug and stuff are fix in my game ...
Have Mod for heart of iron , darkest hour , iron cross .. so real so real all sea , air , reworked so it real now .
I have made a star wars rebellion mod so if play and feel just like you are in star wars world , more ships , troop , charters , and event 100 better .
I have also made world wars 2 mods for heart of iron , iron cross , darkest hour . All game are not

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”