Inconsistent combat replay

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: Tankerace

CatLord

Inconsistent combat replay

Post by CatLord »

The same combat replay (001) file send to me by my PBEM opponent gives me different Combat Replay & Report.

I have posted my problem several time in the WitP forum, because:
1 - The same problem exist in WitP
2 - Nobody ever read here anymore... [:(]

Cat
Member of the Revolution Under Siege development team.
spence

RE: Inconsistent combat replay

Post by spence »

I've noticed the same thing - combat report and combat replay differing. The combat report is the more accurate (I think). I've had a replay tell me I recaptured Luganville when in fact I had not. I've also had a replay tell me I did not capture a base, then discovered that I had captured it when it was time to make my move. My opponent did send the combat report in the former case and that indicated that I had not captured the base as indicated by the combat replay. In the latter case my opponent did not send the combat report. Both instances were in the same game.
In a different game, a large multi-turn carrier battle the combat replays showed my SBDs bombing the beejeezum out of the Kaga and not even attacking the Akagi (which was in the TF). The combat report showed hits on both Kaga and Akagi in that TF. Since both sank due to damage caused by 1000 lb bombs obviously the combat report is more close to reality. I think FOW is present in both the combat replay and the combat report but that the latter is less subject to it.
toraq

Post by toraq »

I think it is a bug. Sometimes, specially in carrier battles or big air raids against ships, combat replay is quite different from the combat report.
If you are japanese this should not happen (both will be more or less the same) but if you play the allies, this can happen from time to time [:(].
Long time ago it was a bug that was fixed but it still happens anyway...
That´s why I always ask for the combat report when I play the allies
CatLord

Post by CatLord »

It's not a FOW problem, it's a bloody bug !

The report and the replay are the same up to a certain point, and then they diverge from what my opponents did see.

Air Attacks on TF which I can see and have generate a report for never occurs for him, same with submarine attack, same with LCU attack, etc...

Cat
CatLord

Post by CatLord »

It seems it's the animations which are screwing up the Replay...

Cat
AmiralLaurent

Post by AmiralLaurent »

Hi,

I'm an UV veteran that came back here (from WITP world) just to see if there was some activity.

I had this problem also in PBEM. My own experience show two things :

_ replay discrepencies happen during turns with much air vs naval action, but also on quieter turns when planes (P-39s usually) strafe enemy ships. There is something in strafing that is sending the replay out of its usual path. Check the turns where you saw discrepencies and you will notice that 95% of the times first discrepency is during a strafing attack that would show different results. Problem is that then all results may be different (raids launched or not, sub attacks or not and so on).

_ discrepencies are reduced when the AI difficulty setting is the same for both PBEM players. I know it has nothing to do with PBEM but it has some influence on the replay. Change the AI setting between two readings of the replay and it will show different results most of the time.

If this setting is the same for both players all the time, discrepencies will be reduced to 1-3 times a game month (in active times) even with strafing actions. At least that was the rate during my final times in UV last summer. And all my games were well in 1943 with P-39 strafing barges almost every day.
CatLord

Post by CatLord »

Ha, thanks.

I actually have some B-25D which I want to skip bomb on the target and are straffing instead...

Cat
CatLord

Post by CatLord »

ORIGINAL: AmiralLaurent

Hi,

I'm an UV veteran that came back here (from WITP world) just to see if there was some activity.

I had this problem also in PBEM. My own experience show two things :

_ replay discrepencies happen during turns with much air vs naval action, but also on quieter turns when planes (P-39s usually) strafe enemy ships. There is something in strafing that is sending the replay out of its usual path. Check the turns where you saw discrepencies and you will notice that 95% of the times first discrepency is during a strafing attack that would show different results. Problem is that then all results may be different (raids launched or not, sub attacks or not and so on).
This seems to be the cause of my problem and is fairly reproducable. Thank you very much.

Cat
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

The random number pool is not protected in UV ... Japan's results are accurate, ensure you start UV and run the replay with the same options as Japan set.
CatLord

Post by CatLord »

Can't that be fixed if it's already done in WitP ?

I mean, the patch has to be redone anyway... [:(]

Cat

PS: And sorry, are you sure "protecting the random pool" will solve the problem , as it is still around in WitP ?

Return to “Tech Support”