Can't download WITP patches

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
Martin James

Can't download WITP patches

Post by Martin James »

Hi
Got WITP v 1.21 for Xmas.
I have joined as a member and successfully registered the game, but cannot download either of the subsequent patches.
I can specify where on my hard drive to save the patch, and get as far as the normal grey download window. The status is shown as 'Connecting [1]'. It never gets any further though, and actual download doesn't start. Have been trying since Boxing Day!
I can get the Readme file which comes with the 1.3 patch.
Can you help please?

Martin
Martin
Murky71

RE: Can't download WITP patches

Post by Murky71 »

Have you tried both the members and downloads section? If one doesn't work the other might. They can both be accessed throught the menu at the top of the page.
GMT +1
Martin James

Post by Martin James »

Thanks for quick reply.

Yes I have. I'm beginning to think it's a more general problem, as I have just tried to download files from other sites and seem unable to.

I sometimes get the following message:

"Free Downloads Accelerator. Windows socket error: The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for (11004), on API 'ASync Lookup' "

Does that mean anything to anyone?

Martin
Martin
Voriax

Post by Voriax »

Try disabling your downloads accelerator? Maybe it is broken. I just tried d/l the patch available from downloads page and it worked just fine.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
Murky71

Post by Murky71 »

I have been using stardownloader recently and have been getting some good results. The bottom one (v144) is the free version.
GMT +1
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Martin James

Thanks for quick reply.

Yes I have. I'm beginning to think it's a more general problem, as I have just tried to download files from other sites and seem unable to.

I sometimes get the following message:

"Free Downloads Accelerator. Windows socket error: The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for (11004), on API 'ASync Lookup' "

Does that mean anything to anyone?

Martin

When I see "Free" anything, I get really suspicious! I would definitely try to uninstall it. I often see warnings on download sites telling you "Not to use an accelerator".
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Martin James

Post by Martin James »

Everything fine now. Thanks to all for your help.

Martin
Martin

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”