Mining / minesweeping own port?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

BlackVoid

Mining / minesweeping own port?

Post by BlackVoid »

I have trouble mining and minesweeping ports that also serve as a base for the TF.
How can it be done, other than sending the MSW TF out with retirement allowed? But minelaying does not work at all this way.
PeteG662

RE: Mining / minesweeping own port?

Post by PeteG662 »

Change the home port with the withdraw option and they will lay mines. Having an MSW in a TF on patrol will sweep mines.
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

They will not mine the hex they are in when you issue the orders, it also seems they don't like to mine their home port. Best bet is to move them out, change the home port to someplace else (preferably someplace where they can get more mines), then move them back in with retirement allowed. If you set a different home port and set to retirement allowed first, and then set your DH (in some hex other than the one you are in) you will get the "IJN Whatshisname will conduct mine warfare operations in hex xx,yy" message.
Fear the kitten!
PeteG662

Post by PeteG662 »

Sorry I wasn't more thorough in my reply.....what Irrelevant said! LOL
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Sweeping is easy, just form the TF, and set it to do not retire and click undock. You don't even have to give it a destination.

Laying is a pain, on the list somewhere to be able to lay mines in your home port, just never got done. The problem is that if you could simply lay mines in your home port, it produces a evil loop in the code. The ship drops it's mines and retires getting more mines to drop to retire to drop to retire etc ... you'd end up with a hundred thousand mines in every port that had the ability to reload mines. Definitely not historical at all not to mention that you would be sinking your own ships left and right at that level of mining [:D]
BlackVoid

Post by BlackVoid »

Mining can be overdone anyway, it should eat supply to prevent overmining.
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TF 34 RR THE WORLD WONDERS

I saw a special on the Battle of Leyte Gulf last night and finally understand the significance of your sig line. Very cryptic until now.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

ORIGINAL: BlackVoid

Mining can be overdone anyway, it should eat supply to prevent overmining.
It does eat supply, it just doesn't eat very much. A few points per mine.
Fear the kitten!
Thurmonator

Post by Thurmonator »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Sweeping is easy, just form the TF, and set it to do not retire and click undock. You don't even have to give it a destination.

Laying is a pain, on the list somewhere to be able to lay mines in your home port, just never got done. The problem is that if you could simply lay mines in your home port, it produces a evil loop in the code. The ship drops it's mines and retires getting more mines to drop to retire to drop to retire etc ... you'd end up with a hundred thousand mines in every port that had the ability to reload mines. Definitely not historical at all not to mention that you would be sinking your own ships left and right at that level of mining [:D]

I can't seem to have my ML lay in a port thats not even the home port.

It never gives me the "will conduct mine ops..." when i click on a base hex, but i can click on the empty hex next to it and it will give me the mine ops message. This is with retirement allowed and the home port as a base other than the target. Please help.
Please make a modern strategic Naval wargame for the PC.
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

You won't get the report if the destination is a base hex. Look at the base screen to see the number of mines increase.[;)]

You can also check your ML's in the TF to see if the mines are still there.
Thurmonator

Post by Thurmonator »

cool.

I will try it again. Thanks
Please make a modern strategic Naval wargame for the PC.
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

One more thing to note. If the base does not have a port, the mines will not show on the base screen. Just the mine icon will. Good luck![8D]
Sredni

Post by Sredni »

To mine the port a minelaying TF is in I do this.

1) Switch it's home port to something else.
2) Undock
3) Tell it to go to the port it's in, even tho it's there already.

And the minelayers will lay mines in the port they're in and then head to whatever port I specified as their home.
erstad

Post by erstad »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

I realize that everything is simple to the guy that doesn't have to program it in a robust fashion :-), but wouldn't one option be to have laying mines cost 1000 ops points, and loading mines cost 1000 ops points? You could still lay a fair number of mines, probably unrealistically, but it wouldn't be any more than you could put in an adjacent hex, me thinkest.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”