Firefight

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

montgomery

Firefight

Post by montgomery »

Can you tell me anything about the game firefight that u bought the rights to off sean o'conner (http://www.windowsgames.co.uk) like whats happening to it, release dates etc.

------------------
Neil Graddage (webmaster@graddage.fsnet.co.uk)
http://www.graddage.fsnet.co.uk - http://freespace.virgin.net/neil.graddage - http://novaserver.2y.net/populous
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

Not yet...stay tuned...
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

How did you hear about that?
montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Its on his site, he said so in his newsletter and as every1 keeps asking him why it aint on his site nemore, he answers them.

Kevin G

Post by Kevin G »

I feel like I've been under a rock the last few years (well actually I have - it's called SPWAW); I've never heard of this. A quick search on the 'net found a site that has the demo still, so I'm going to give it a whirl. This -- and the Matrix upgrade -- sounds like one exciting game.

Kevin G
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

We hope we can keep the simplicity and elegance of Firefight for those that want to play it pretty much as it is now, but add the depth of detail and options for those who want to accept the added complexities.

Increasing the scale to deal with more more units will require a few changes to how the units fight, but we will have to see how that develops...

[This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited January 05, 2001).]
montgomery

Post by montgomery »

One question, will you keep the file size below, say, 10mb because the fil size is the only thing that puts me off SPWAW.

Neil Graddage (neil@graddage.fsnet.co.uk) http://www.graddage.fsnet.co.uk/ - http://freespace.virgin.net/neil.graddage/ - http://novaserver.2y.net/populous/
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

No the new graphics and sounds will put it up in the same size category. Since it will ship on a CD it should not be an issue - unless your HD is geting cramped.

Drives are dirt cheep 20GB are ~100US$ most places 40GB are like 150.

Close Combat V, Combat Mission, all are multi-hundred MB footprints. That is what it takes to give the graphics ans sound folks expect.

Ed Cogburn

Post by Ed Cogburn »

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
That is what it takes to give the graphics ans sound folks expect.

Now, no offense, but this is *precisely* the kind of statement from Matrix that scares me. A lot of folks are hopeing you'll change the status quo, and give us something which has a decent look, but with the real meat-n-potatoes under the hood. If you end up acting like all the other companies and put the bells and whistles, the graphics, the animation, the sound effects ahead of *GAME PLAY* and *DETAIL*, you'll lose a lot of us.

[This message has been edited by Ed Cogburn (edited January 06, 2001).]
Ed Cogburn

Post by Ed Cogburn »

Drives are dirt cheep 20GB are ~100US$ most places 40GB are like 150.

Yea, if you're using a cheap EIDE system with the larger, cheaper, but *slower* hard drives. For those of us with SCSI systems, hard drives are still a pretty penny.
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

I belive so, but you may have to pay heavy in postage.

For Ed: THe response was an inquiry about whether we will keep the game foot print in the 10MB range. "Meat and potatoes under the hood" doesn't take up the kind of disk space that graphics and sounds do.

What it eats up is RAM, and we are aiming at 64MB there which means an AWFUL lot can go on under that hood! The country data bases in SP:WaW are <50k, in Combat Leader they will be over 1 MB - the underlying models will be a quantum leap over **ANY** game out there (we are employing a lot of knowledge gained since 1950 on penetration dynamics :-). We are implemeting a full 3D "world" in the game, it just won't be rendered in 3D (which just doesn't work (yet) with real time style play very well).

To assure you once again, these games will have SCADS of "Meat and potatoes detail" and most will be user selectable options so you can accept the accomapnying complexity in play or not! You will be able to play with godlike omniscience as you now can in SP:WaW or Firefight, or turn on command and control, Fog of war, or limited situational awareness as you like. CL will be as big an increase in detail of SP:WAW as SP:Waw was over origianl SP (Probably moreso).

But let us know what in the way of detail you want and have not yet seen!

I won't get too far into the EIDE vs SCSI debate Image But there is no reason you can't have both! I had a machine with both EIDE and SCSI drives...OS on SCSI other "high density" stuff on the EIDE! For game playing, that is not dong multiple simultaneous disk reads and writes, (ie you are hosting some multiplay games on a LAN) you better with more RAM then a SCSI HD...)

I frankly have not noticed any real difference between that one and the ATA 100 based EIDE machine I have now...

Ed Cogburn

Post by Ed Cogburn »

For Ed: THe response was an inquiry about whether we will keep the game foot print in the 10MB range. "Meat and potatoes under the hood" doesn't take up the kind of disk space that graphics and sounds do.

To assure you once again, these games will have SCADS of "Meat and potatoes detail" and most will be user selectable options so you can accept the accomapnying complexity in play or not! You will be able to play with godlike omniscience as you now can in SP:WaW or Firefight, or turn on command and control, Fog of war, or limited situational awareness as you like. CL will be as big an increase in detail of SP:WAW as SP:Waw was over origianl SP (Probably moreso).

This is good to hear, thanks Paul.

I frankly have not noticed any real difference between that one and the ATA 100 based EIDE machine I have now...

Oh, trust me on this one Paul, Ultra160 SCSI blows the doors off EIDE drives. Image
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

Oh, trust me on this one Paul, Ultra160 SCSI blows the doors off EIDE drives.
I'll stick to games and bow to you on that one as I haven't the pleasure that sort of bit pushing Image
Matt Dube

Post by Matt Dube »

Originally posted by Ed Cogburn:

Now, no offense, but this is *precisely* the kind of statement from Matrix that scares me. A lot of folks are hopeing you'll change the status quo, and give us something which has a decent look, but with the real meat-n-potatoes under the hood. If you end up acting like all the other companies and put the bells and whistles, the graphics, the animation, the sound effects ahead of *GAME PLAY* and *DETAIL*, you'll lose a lot of us.

[This message has been edited by Ed Cogburn (edited January 06, 2001).]
Actually, Combat Mission has the great graphics and attention to detail that we all expect, and they also support their product as well as Matrix does. As an added bonus, you get great scenarios from Wild Bill as well, so if the new Matrix games go this route I think we'll all be very pleased.
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."
General George S. Patton

Return to “General Discussion”