Modified Tanks and Plane Icons

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
dextertt

Modified Tanks and Plane Icons

Post by dextertt »

I sort of getting carried away with Rich's icon editor :)

For the tanks I managed to put the name, attack (red), defend (blue). Those tanks that shares one image like the pz III, IV variants, I did not put the stats on. Hopefully we can figure out a way to have one icon per tank type. The tanks are in black, assualt guns and other non-turret tank are in dark grey. At a quick glance, you can determine the unit offensive and defensive capabilities.

I also took the liberty of Rich's excellent aircraft icons and add stats such as: dogfight, cannon, load, and range. There is not enough space for durability, plus I do not think this is important in strategy decision. I hope Rich, you do not mind me doing a bit adding on your icon ?

I hope by placing the stats on each icon one can easily make decision without having to click down many levels.

Anyway, I am doing this for fun and hoping someone with a bit more technical skills can do some more wonders with the graphics.

Dexter

[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: dextertt ]

[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: dextertt ]
Yogi Yohan

Post by Yogi Yohan »

Originally posted by dextertt:
I sort of getting carried away with Rich's icon editor :)

Looks great, Dexter! Where can I get your set of Icons to try them out?

Unfortunately I cannot see a way to assign unique icons to tanks since there are far to many types and variants and too few icon slots.

[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: Yogi Yohan ]
dextertt

Post by dextertt »

Hi Yogi,

I send you the files. Please note I am just toying with the icons to see what can be done. It is not complete. I am still deciding on the color scheme for the Soviet side:

turquoise for non-turret vehicles and others
dark brown for tanks, but I am still not settle yet since the colors available are very limited. Anyway, I made the changes to get rid of the cotton candy and colorfull look of the original icon. Now the icons have the clean easy to discern looks.

Here are the soviets (just testing the color scheme):

Dexter
frank1970

Post by frank1970 »

Hey Dexter, really good work! Just go on!
If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

Desertfox

Post by Desertfox »

Dextertt,

These look really good and would love a copy of some of the stuff you've done. The Icon editor I havent played with yet, but I think the new icons, tanks and planes look good and add a little to the game. I wonder why would you use different colors for the soviets, since whether you are playing human or AI you only see your side, at least until combat. Can't you just go black for turreted tanks, grey for TD's, etc, etc. Just a thought but great work.
dextertt

Post by dextertt »

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. Typical of me, I start messing with the icon editor but I have not gotten the time to finish off all the icons especially the russian sides. I will email you what I got thus far and hopefully you can take it from there. I will probaly wait for the "final" version of WIR before finishing it.

My reason for the gray and black is that at a glance, you can tell how much offensive power via tanks (black) versus how much defensive power via tank destroyer/assault gun (grey) you have. I do not see why you can not have the grey colored black.

Anyway, please check your mail box and hope you can improve on what I got thus far :)

Cheers,
Dexter

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”