New Aircraft Icons for WIR

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Rich Dionne

New Aircraft Icons for WIR

Post by Rich Dionne »

I finally found some spare time and put together an alternative set of aircraft icons for WIR. You can see what they look like and download them at my website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tmflood/page2.html

You'll find the new WIR icons buried in amongst my Pacwar stuff.

In addition to the new icons (in AIR1.SYM) I am including a software tool that you can use to increase the usage of available aircraft icons in the game from 51 to the maximum of 64 icons. Just run this standalone program on any WIR OB or SAVE file and it will alter the aircraft icon assignments slightly to maximize use with the new icon SYM file. Make sure you save your old AIR1.SYM, SAVE files, and OB files before alteration.

Enjoy!

Rich Dionne
Mist

Post by Mist »

Looks good, Rich! DOn't know about historical preciseness but icons are beautifull. Thanx! As for exe file. It says that "comdlg32.ocx not correctly registered, invalid or missing" and halts. Do I need to have this one to run your editing program?
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

Thanks Mist,

I've repackaged the EXE in a setup file that should install all the files you need. I've uploaded the update at my website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tmflood/page2.html

The one file that I didn't include is MSVBVM50.dll (visual basic virtual machine)because of its large size. If your computer does not have this file installed, then probably the easiest way to get it is to download my PacLink program (also at my website). This program setup contains the file MSVBVM50.dll and will load it for you.

I think the icons shapes are fairly accurate (at least as well as I could get with a 32 x 24 pixel image); I used actual aircraft outlines to create the new icons. The colors available are quite limited, with only about 8-10 good colors out of 16 available. I tried to create as much camo and color scheme variety as possible, hopefully I didn't overdo it.

Regards,

Rich
dextertt

Post by dextertt »

Hi Rich,

Your wir icon editor is a BLAST FUN to play with. Do you know if it is possible to add new tank icons ? I notice that for tank1.sym (german), slot number 31 is available and I was able to use it. for tank2.sym (soviet) there are 2 slots available. Can I use the Soviet slots for 2 germans tanks ?

Are there any unused icons that I can use ? I see a german half track icon but (if memory correct) this icon is not used in the game ?

Your aircraft icons are SUPER. They make make want to play WIR again just for the EYE CANDY :))

Dexter

[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: dextertt ]
Mike Dixon

Post by Mike Dixon »

Rich,

Yes your aircraft icons are brilliant!

Mike
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

Thanks Guys! Glad you like 'em.

Dexter, I think we are limited to the 64 tank icons that are provided in tank1.sym and tank2.sym. These are numbered 0 - 31 in tank1.sym and 32 - 63 in tank2.sym. As you indicate, there appear to be a few extra open icon slots, and I don't see any reason why you can't use them for either German or Russian AFV's. Of course you will need to point them in the right direction depending upon which side they're on. You can then use EDITWIR to assign one of the AFV's to the previously unused icon.

Regards,

Rich
Yogi Yohan

Post by Yogi Yohan »

Originally posted by Rich Dionne:
I finally found some spare time and put together an alternative set of aircraft icons for WIR.
Your icons are terrific, Rich! After the great work you did on PacWar one should expect nothing less, but I'm still very impressed, since when I played around with your icon editor the result was... blaaah :o

One thing: when I try to run the program to change the save game or scenario files, my machine makes a sad "ping!" and nothing seems to happen. How can I check if it worked or not?

[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: Yogi Yohan ]
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

Thanks Yogi!

If you hear the ping, then it's probably working (the program runs very quickly). You can check if it worked by running the icon update on the '44 scenario, then looking at an Axis fighter, and changing it between the Macchi 200 and Macchi 202. If the icons are different, then the program has worked and the icon list has been updated so that every aircraft has its own icon.

Regards,

Rich

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”