Best way to eliminate bunkers

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

StefanE

Best way to eliminate bunkers

Post by StefanE »

Hello

I've just started to play Lost Victories and in the first scenario there are lots of bunkers of different kinds. Suddenly I realised that I have no idea of the best way to take out a bunker or which factors that affect the success.

My efforts so far have been to find the bunkers with recon units. Run up on them from their "blind" sides. Assault them when in the turn *after* their latest movement. With that approach I usually get success probabilities between 20% and 40%. Is there any way to increase those numbers?

If the assault unit doesn't succeed I usually don't try again in the same turn since I seem to get a success probability of 9-11% in the second try. Instead I wait until the following turn. Should I wait longer?

Sometimes when the assault don't succeed the unit gets a suppression of 25 (from 0), but mostly the suppression stops at 12-15. What factors influence the suppression level?

Even if the assaults don't succeed the bunkers do get routed, but I haven't noticed that the crews ever abandon the bunkers. Does that ever happen, and if so; how do I force it?

OK, thats a lot of questions with a (not so) little bit av newbie-warning, but I would appreciate some light in this topic.

/Stefan
Clipper1968

RE: Best way to eliminate bunkers

Post by Clipper1968 »

Before starting the first scen you get different options:IMHO choose the engineers platoon which will represent a very helpful asset for destroying those bunkers.Assault them with satchel charge by the rear side and you will probably get better result even if it doesn't work systematically.You can also use your infantry squads using their AT weapons for this purpose.IIRC the best way to increase your chance to destroy those pillboxes,observer bunkers,etc...is to move your squads next to the bunker and assault them on the next turn:pretty good results.

I have always played with command radius on and if the leader unit is correctly placed you can rally them quite easily saving time.

I have only saw routed crew bunkers abandoning their position one time but it was at the end of the battle and the victory was already mine.

So I hope this will answer a little bit to your questions,but I have not been playing this MCLV since a long time.
"s'instruire pour vaincre"
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

I usually don't waste engineers on bunkers. A scout patrol can lob a grenade into the door as easily as an engineer can throw a satchel charge. Smoke the front of the bunker so that they are unemployed and then have the scouts attack at least twice a turn. I have destroyed Japanese bunkers on the second attack from a scout that had 10% suppression. Don't forget that a human opponent may bail out and attack with small arms, so have a security force present that is ready to rock. I am not familiar with the scenario that you are playing, but some bunkers/fortifications can be penetrated by tanks or ATG's from behind as well. Also, unless the bunkers are on Victory Hexes and must be taken, you can always just bypass them.
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
Clipper1968

Post by Clipper1968 »

Interesting as I have never tried to destroy those Soviet bunkers with my german scout patrol.[X(]Should try...
Regarding this specific scen of MCLV,it is a crossing river assault that means only your german infantry squads can cross the river with their dinghies.
I was referring to AT weapons because your infantry squads are only equipped with AT launch grenades.(no hand grenades available).
Moreover you can use your 3 StuG IIIb to bombard viewed pillboxes in support of your infantry from the other side of the river.
Believe me or not but one time I have even succeeded to destroy one bunker with them.[8D]I am still wondering how it was possible?[&:]

I think that bunker crew only leave their position when all bunker's weapons are destroyed or damaged;so they can continue the combat with their individual weapons.I guess so...
"s'instruire pour vaincre"
Procrustes

Post by Procrustes »

I really enjoyed the first few scenarios of LV - there are a number of bunkers that you get to pick your way through. Besides smoking them or assaulting them w/ infantry/engineers, you get a lot of opportunities to use your Stugs, 75mm IG's and 37mm ATG's on them. The trick is to fire across the front face of the bunker, directly into it's appeture - a bunker will die pretty quickly once you put a couple of rounds inside it, but with a smaller gun you can pound away all day from the side or rear and never phase them. Your Stugs should not be moving on the turn they start firing - they only have a few AP rounds and they will kill a bunker a lot quicker than the HE rounds, so you want them to count. You want to push your IG/AT gun up in front of the bunker one hex at a time - try to pick a spot w/ some cover (trees, shell holes, etc.) If you are playing w/ C&C on make sure you switch them to defensive stance once you get there - makes them much harder to spot, route less, and get more opp fires. Gun units are fragile, so you may need to use another unit to assault or lob a few shells at the bunker first so that you can keep it suppressed enough that you can move into position without being gunned down. (An arty barrage works well, too - small mortars are great.) Then start firing away! The 75mm IG's often get a couple of AP rounds but they are only modestly accurate. The AT guns are quite accurate and have a high rate-of-fire - real bunker killers. The 150mm field guns are useless for this - they are too big to manuver or hide, fire very slowly, are very inaccurate (splash damage doesn't sway bunkers much), and the splash is so big that you can't have a friendly unit nearby. Whenever I've tried to use them for this trick, they've just gotten picked off.

Takes a little practice but I think it's a fun way to deal w/ bunkers. On the first scenario of LV you can't get the guns across the river, but there are a few bunkers you can snipe at from your side. After that you have a way across, and get to take them on directly.
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

I read somewhere that if you turn off the assault team's other weapons and only attack with the AT weapon or the grenade, then they don't get suppressed. I've often regretted that one cannot simply use a keystroke to activate the "Die, bunker, die!" function.
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
Procrustes

Post by Procrustes »

If you assault and fail, you will end up suppressed. If you just fire your weapons and don't assault, you will not be suppressed if you don't destroy the bunker. The best way not to assault with your engineers is to target the bunker (use the icon or the "T" key), then fire only your satchel charge (use the icon or the "C" key).

One good thing about assaulting is that if you succeed then the bunker is autmatically destroyed - there is no "to hit" followed by a "to damage/kill" roll. The other nice thing is that you magically don't deplete any of your ammo - you will have just as many satchel charges after an assault as before. The bad things about assaults are that the odds of success can be pretty low, especially if you have moved or been fired upon, and that you can take a bit of suppression if you fail.
StefanE

Post by StefanE »

Thank you all for your answers!

Just one last question (and one question repeated): Is it easier to succeed an assault with infantry units at the front of the bunker than at the rear or sides? And finally; does the number of turns adjacent to the bunker increase the hit probability or is it just a waist of time to wait more than one turn before assaulting?
robot

Post by robot »

Rear then sides and then front in an emergency such as with atr for instance. Waiting more then one turn is a waste of time in my opinion. Smoke the front move to the rear assault blow it up then move to next one. In a hurry smoke bypass come back later if you have the time.
Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.
Procrustes

Post by Procrustes »

I agree that my prefered spot to close assault from is the back - if you assault from the front you are apt to get shot to pieces.

But if you are shooting at the bunker, then it's best to shoot from the front - you want your shot to go into the gun appature. Infantry AT weapons (bazookas, panzerfaust) are great for this if you can position them without them getting blasted. (Keep assaulting it from the rear/side while you move up your 'zook.)

I don't think that the number of turns next to a bunker helps, but it helps a lot not to be moving and to have zero suppression. And it really helps to have some weapon like a satchel charge, flame thrower, AT mine, etc.
Soft(war)e

Post by Soft(war)e »

Bunkers just need to be neutralized with smoke. Busting them is just a nuisance if you can get your troops past them before you smoke drifts away.

However, if you insist on blowing them up, here's my approach. Assult from side or rear with engineers, if unsuccessful, your troops will be suppressed. For the second try, don't rally them. That way, they will fire all their weapons in succession instead of the standard assault, gaining a good hit-probability when the time comes for the FT and satchel-charge. FOOOSH-KABOOM!!![:D]

You might even willfully botch their assault by turning their FT and satchel OFF on the initial assault, so as to gain the suppressed status without expending ammo. Maybe even holding back the FT and satchel for a subsequent fire with small arms to gain higher Hit-Prob.
OKW-73

Post by OKW-73 »

I personally use artillery to shoot smoke screen front of bunker. Then take it out behind with engineers or just leave it alone if no need to destroy it.
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone
KNomad

Post by KNomad »

I just go for as many assaults as I can when I have to.

Make the assault, then tap the 'R' key just enough to get the units suppression to under 10, assault again.
Rally, assault, repeat. I've had units make multiple assaults per turn - sometimes as much as six times.
Once they fail to rally, dump the ordance on the bunker, then move in another unit to repeat.
The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

KNomad, I seldom bypass a bunker or other fortification. If they occupy a VH, then you have no choice, but tanks are great in direct-fire against these b*stards. The only problem is, you gotta have assault infantry/engineers in direct support. I play Pacific, and I try the corkscrew and blowtorch method, which generally worked in real-life. In-game, this is direct fire with tanks and bazookas, and indirect-fire close-support mortars. This should suppress the garrison enough to close in and just burn and blast them out, whether by close assault or repeated doses of satchel charges and flame-throwers. Seeing one of these SOBs blow up gives me a sense of satisfaction, and incinerating an infantry squad stacked in that hex only adds to it. I HATE losing men, and if one of those infernal pillbox/bunkers kills some of my guys, I just gotta take it out. That's all there is to it. As a Marine commander, the desire for revenge sometimes takes hold, and you are just overtaken by it in the heat of action.

PS It is very easy for me to understand why no quarter was, and IS, given during those situations. This makes some folks uncomfortable, but if this blood-revenge takes hold even in a computer game, imagine how this must have felt in the 1940s, and DOES feel in today's war.
KNomad

Post by KNomad »

No doubt - a little supression fire always helps before tackling a tough defender. [:D]
The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!
MarkIV

Post by MarkIV »

This tread brings up a problem I've been having. Many times, when assualting a bunker my infantry have satchel charges and gernades, instead of using them they perform an assualt. Is there a way to bypass doing the assualt and have them use their explosives.
“Man is stunted by peaceful days,
In idle repose his courage decays,
Law is the weakling’s game,
Law makes the world the same.
But in war man’s strength is seen,
War ennobles all that is mean;
Even the coward belies his name.”
Schiller
FlashfyreSP

Post by FlashfyreSP »

ORIGINAL: MarkIV

This tread brings up a problem I've been having. Many times, when assualting a bunker my infantry have satchel charges and gernades, instead of using them they perform an assualt. Is there a way to bypass doing the assualt and have them use their explosives.

Target the bunker, then hit the 'C' key to fire one specific weapon. Select the number of the satchel charge, and your unit will make a regular direct fire attack using only this weapon.
ImageImage
pepek

Post by pepek »

i assault only.
simple reason, haven´t u noticed that if an assault fails they don´t use up the munition, in this case the charge or mine.
if u simply shoot the bunker and miss, the mun. is gon and u have to take a diff. unit to finish the job.
in my eyes the best bunkerbusters are german scout troops, why bither a ten man troop if a four men team does the job.
mind over morale
minefield

Post by minefield »

read corrections in following posts
ORIGINAL: pepek

i assault only.
simple reason, haven´t u noticed that if an assault fails they don´t use up the munition, in this case the charge or mine.
if u simply shoot the bunker and miss, the mun. is gon and u have to take a diff. unit to finish the job.
in my eyes the best bunkerbusters are german scout troops, why bither a ten man troop if a four men team does the job.

This didn't sound right so I did some tests. Was very surprised with what I found out.
You can't assault 'with (weapon)' with HE weapons or AP weapons (satchel charges, flame throwers, anti-tank rifles). You can assault fortifications 'with (weapon)' with HEAT weapons like anti-tank mines, bazooka, etc. Anti-tank mines show as AP on buy screen but are listed as HEAT in game.

You can assault vehicles with pretty much anything that has penetration (AT rifle, satchel charges, anti-tank mines, flame thrower).

Anytime you assault 'with (weapon)' you lose ammo regardless of outcome (success, failure, immbolization). An engineer with both Satchel (slot 3) and anti-tank mine (slot 4) will use the satchel first to assault. You do not have to have shots to assault with a weapon but you do have to have ammo for that weapon.

If the unit aborts the assault (no sound, no animation, suppression increases, other units op-fire) then no ammo is used.

You gain a large percentage when you assault 'with (weapon)'. I have not studied the exact increase or how different weapons affect it.
never cross a minefield
FlashfyreSP

Post by FlashfyreSP »

ORIGINAL: minefield
ORIGINAL: pepek

i assault only.

This didn't sound right so I did some tests. Was very surprised with what I found out.
You can't assault 'with (weapon)' with HE weapons or AP weapons (satchel charges, flame throwers, anti-tank rifles). You can assault fortifications 'with (weapon)' with HEAT weapons like anti-tank mines, bazooka, etc. Anti-tank mines show as AP on buy screen but are listed as HEAT in game.

You can assault vehicles with pretty much anything that has penetration (AT rifle, satchel charges, anti-tank mines, flame thrower).

Anytime you assault 'with (weapon)' you lose ammo regardless of outcome (success, failure, immbolization). An engineer with both Satchel (slot 3) and anti-tank mine (slot 4) will use the satchel first to assault. You do not have to have shots to assault with a weapon but you do have to have ammo for that weapon.

If the unit aborts the assault (no sound, no animation, suppression increases, other units op-fire) then no ammo is used.

You gain a large percentage when you assault 'with (weapon)'. I have not studied the exact increase or how different weapons affect it.

minefield, what do you mean when you say that you can't assault 'with (weapon)' with HE or AP weapons? I can certainly assault a bunker with a flamethrower (have done it many times), and I can attack it by using just the flamethrower by using the 'C' hotkey. I'm confused about your statement...
ImageImage

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”