Computer Third Reich by Avalon Hill

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

SJRhino8

Computer Third Reich by Avalon Hill

Post by SJRhino8 »

I've been looking for a copy of AH Computer Third Reich for some time. Found one at "Underdogs" but I guess I'm not computer literate enough to download it (even when I turn off my "protection" completely). Anyone out there that can help a guy out?

(I'd be happy to exchange my Laetitia Casta photo collection for a copy!) [;)]
dereck

RE: Computer Third Reich by Avalon Hill

Post by dereck »

Have you ever played the computer version of Third Reich? I'm just asking because it has a 40-page operations manual and a 48-page reference manual and i'm not sure what, if any, online help it has.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
SJRhino8

Post by SJRhino8 »

I downloaded the manual and the last patch and even played the demo, but I have not been able to come across a copy of the game...(shoulda bought it when I had the chance way back when, but it received such terrible reviews!) I was hoping someone in the Matrix community could help.
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

What seems to be the problem with downloading from the Underdog site? If I remember correctly they require that you type in a code that they provide. Did you do this? I downloaded my copy with no problem and had no conflict with my firewall. The game installed and runs well.

Here's a support website for Computer Third Reich including manuals:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quart ... index.html
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
SJRhino8

Post by SJRhino8 »

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I typed in the code and ended up on an error page. No Luck.
jnier

Post by jnier »

You can download the game here:

http://www.sacvalleycomputers.com/3r.htm

There are a bunch of files (including the installation files) available at the the Third Reich PC Group at Yahoo:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/thirdreichpc/

I beleive you need to subscribe to the Group in order to access the files.
SJRhino8

Post by SJRhino8 »

[&o]Many thanks to Dereck and jnier! They were able to help me succeed in my quest. Now I've something to hold me over until Gary Grigsby's new game....
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

First off if you truely want a "Third Reich" experience, you're better off checking out Strategic Command over at Battlefront.

The game is both cheap, as well as due to get a major upgrade with SC2 likely for spring.

Second, SC likes modern computers, TR PC isn't really overly interested in playing nice nice on a new system. I played well on 98SE, but on XP, the sounds were largely mangled (for me at least).

But, if you are still interested, if it absolutely has to be TR PC, you have a great option open to you.

The file is tiny ie no size worth comment.
I have the file you might be getting via Underdogs.
It actually performs (that file) more reasonably than my original cd I might add.
But the file, as it comes straight from Underdogs, is redundantly compressed in a manner you will soon find boggles the mind.
You might not enjoy the experience figuring it out.

I on the other hand, I have the files uncompressed and sorted out and all ready for ease of use.
It is part of my routine software offer.
Want to know more, consult my sig line.
It leads to the whole shebang offer.

The game mirrors the older version Third Reich though. Anyone that would actually want to play Third Reich might actually not wish to go that far back. I have played it, but after years of playing Advanced Third Reich, the game (old Third Reich) just isn't interesting enough.
If you get the game, ensure it is properly patched. The Underdogs file doesn't have the patch by the way (I do though).

Game wise, if you don't mind a game that is a bit old, but has an interface that's not to bad, looks like the actual board game, with an AI that is well not up to today's standards, but is playable, you might not mind.
There is only one Hexed Gamer
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Les_s_Place
ancient doctor

Post by ancient doctor »

Oh i do remember A3R boardgaem till now.Magnificent indeed and could be played by only 2 people and certainly more if you had them.It became even better when they added Pacific war expansion with research and pool rules plus much more goodies.
I think the Bruce Harper is working to a new computer version of A3R AND Pacific together and i have seen some screenies of it but cant remember where.
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

I think, for the most part, Gary's World at War (man talk about an over used name though), will essentially score the best effort to date for global grand strategy (even if there are no hexes involved).

For the board game fan though, A3R was not the end of the process, and while some think Rising Sun (the Pacific add on to the system) was the weak link, that might no longer be relevant.

They went on to develope A World at War (notice any name troubles hehe) the combined and unified effort to make the game balanced and fully global.

http://www.aworldatwar.com/

Not a cheap purchase though, and unless you actually plan to get Warplanner software to play it via your computer, it might just be an old board game you might have trouble explaining to your wallet hehe.

Currently though, until proven otherwise, I am sticking with saying Strategic Command is the choice for someone wanting to wargame at this level.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

A3R would have problems when I ran it on Win98. I could only imagine how bad it is on XP if it works at all.[:(]

Go with Strategic Command. It's the closest I've seen to it.
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

Actually Nefarious, the only trouble I had with TR PC running was in XP it was the sounds were no good. And that is likely sound drivers and or card issue.

It ran exactly as designed with 98SE for me. Only downside being 98SE is a step backward as an OS (and I don't care who wants to champion that OS).
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

what was the other "like third reich" game? I did get them to play on xp using dosbox, kind of a waste with so many great titles out now...
Was it Europa?
"Tanks forward"
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

Just taking a guess, but that "other" game you might be thinking of, might have been Clash of Steel which is oft mentioned fondly by gamers that enjoy grand strategy format wargames.

My only experience with it though, is it hates modern computers and or OSs.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

Clash of Steel was a good design that became excellent through a revision called the "Future Edition." It is more of a standard hex-and-unit based wargame than 3R and emphasizes the role of HQs in combat operations. Its weak point is its modeling of naval warfare. Political concerns, though simple in presentation, are a noteworthy inclusion in a design as old as this one.

Third Reich was a design unlike any other, and that probably accounts for its popularity and the number of spinoffs since. It abstracted combat into a number of very fluid game mechanics that allowed you to conduct far-flung operations in what seemed to be a short period of time - until you realized that each turn was three months long. It is really unfair to compare this design to any other, as it addressed a specific subject in a unique way.

The old computer version is still fun to play as a beer-and-pretzels game - if you can get it to run on your system.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

yep, future edition was it, not that good compared to strategic command, which is a loser for its week IA, probably a great pbem game, now that I am playing pbem...
"Tanks forward"
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

Avalon Hill´s Third Reich boardgame (the classic 3rd edition version) is simply the best WW2 strategy game, ever, hands down.

The pc version had a few problems:

1. Some rules not implemented, e.g. variants.
2. Some rules implemementation partially incorrect, e.g. supply through a port.
3. AI totally unable to use the Offensive Option in a meaningful way (break through and encircle).

A remake of 3rd Reich Pc with all rules as written and decent AI is the only game I would pay 100$ for.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

There's a Third Reich inspired scenario available to The Operational Art of War III. If you have that game, have a look HERE [:)]

The download link is not valid anymore, I am sure Steve (author of the 3R-Axis scenario) has a new site somewhere...
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I haven't opened a new site, and meanwhile I found that I can use DropBox, although I haven't uploaded 3R to it yet. I should look at the scenario to see if there are any benefits to using the upcoming TOAW IV.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

I haven't opened a new site, and meanwhile I found that I can use DropBox, although I haven't uploaded 3R to it yet. I should look at the scenario to see if there are any benefits to using the upcoming TOAW IV.

I'm not buying TOAW IV unless it's in there [;)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works

Return to “General Discussion”