Comments on the 8.3 Patch

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

KG Erwin

RE: Comments on the 8.3 Patch

Post by KG Erwin »

C'mon Viking, this is all part of the fun--you must have a valid Matrix Member Log-in : it is NOT the same as your forum name. I had to establish one of these, too.

After you log-in, click on the "retail" hotlink of "Steel Panthers:World at War" and you'll be taken to the patch download page.
Kristo Vaher

Post by Kristo Vaher »

But could you tell me why why w h y w h y WHY WHY WHY W H Y W H Y WHY THE HELL!?

Whats the friggin point!? EVERY GAME OUT THERE DOES NOT REQUIRE some special login members area BS. Ive PAID for the product and as far as I know its EULA did NOT tell me that I require some damned registration to obtain product updates.

I do NOT want to register myself and my email at some friggin place to get a patch to a product which I OWN!

Damn it pisses me off... Ban me for it if you wish, dont care. Matrix Games has gone to hell.
#Vassago

Post by #Vassago »

Chill dude... [8D]

And I though I was short temperred...maybe they just want people to login for all their games to get updates and give a good reason for pirates to buy the game instead of downloading for free. Of course for SPWAW this applies more or less since the basic game has always been free from Matrix Games, but I do understand why they would want to standardize the process...much simpler to update the web site...which btw is always a nightmare even if you change just a small detail, that`s true for any web site.

Simple: You pay you = you get the updates, you don't pay = you don't get the updates.

ORIGINAL: Kristo Vaher

But could you tell me why why w h y w h y WHY WHY WHY W H Y W H Y WHY THE HELL!?

Whats the friggin point!? EVERY GAME OUT THERE DOES NOT REQUIRE some special login members area BS. Ive PAID for the product and as far as I know its EULA did NOT tell me that I require some damned registration to obtain product updates.

I do NOT want to register myself and my email at some friggin place to get a patch to a product which I OWN!

Damn it pisses me off... Ban me for it if you wish, dont care. Matrix Games has gone to hell.
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

What happened to True Update then?[&:]

Goblin
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

ORIGINAL: Goblin

What happened to True Update then?[&:]

Goblin

It wasn't much of an ordeal to go register and DL through the Members area, but I too wonder what the heck true update is there for, then?

SP:WaW is a bit special, but for ordinary retail games, all pirated versions (almost) include some kind of hack to the game .exe file. Any and all patches include a new .exe, which renders the pirated version useless...until someone hacks the new file.

Uh, makes little sense but that's the only reason I can see why the true update is NOT used? [&:]
Got StuG?
Kristo Vaher

Post by Kristo Vaher »

The situation is going as much Kaboom as did the true update. I was just congratulated by a few people through private messages on my last post. Nice to have some supporters on this issue.

Nevertheless, this is crazy. This IS matrix games. Thanks for the years of SPWaW, the previous user friendly presentation and great gameplay. But requiruing to REGISTER to GET A FRIGGIN PATCH and not an entire game is JUST PLAIN STUPID. I AM already registered HERE, now I need TWO accounts on Matrix Games accountlists. NO thank you. The patch will be available through other resources soon enough anyway.
Kristo Vaher

Post by Kristo Vaher »

The damned situation does NOT seem to change. What the hell is wrong with MG!?!?

I now decided to register and get the patch without waiting for the damned patch appearance on other external websites or links by fellow gamers.

I registered, entered my email, the thing I hate the most. They told me to check my email for my passwd. Nothing. Told them I lost my passwd, and they "said" they resent it. Nothing. Thats after thirty minutes. I do NOT have dsl connection and can access the net on my school systems only, sending data to my usb data storage. Now its nothing.

Ive lost all the respect Ive ever had for Matrix Games. There are far better companies out there than this pile of selfish crap.

Bye.
robot

Post by robot »

Where the hell do you guys get off at. Matrix asks us to register for a patch so what. The dam game is free and has always been free. So what its a little inconveient and takes 15 minutes of your time. You dont want the patch or takes too much of your time. Then play the dam game without the patch. What does something being added to 2 or 3 oob list s effect the playability anyway.

Matrix has over the years worked hard to be the game every one wants. Then because they leave out some obscure weapon or formation the same belly achers want to whine. Because a tank has a MM of thickness wrong some one jumps up and says matrix sucks. Jesus guys if you dont like the game enough to whine and cry every time matrix trys to fix something. Then go to the store and get the game you really want to play. Or better still get ahold of me and ill give you some of the usless games i have in my closet. The ones that i paid big bucks for that have never been worth a dam.

It sounds like a bunch of kids crying about who gets too bat first. You dont like what matrix does then dont play the game. Go somewhere else and belly ache. SPWAW IS FREE FREE The add on mega campaigns are the only thing that costs. None of the updates cost only in time and effort.
Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.
Kristo Vaher

Post by Kristo Vaher »

I have bought SPWaW so it did not come free to me. You would have SEEN this when you would have READ my previous posts.

And I TRIED to register to this members BS, did not WORK since the mail with the password was NOT SENT even if I had RETRIED PLENTY of times, it does NOT get through to @solo mail.

However, I found websites to grab the patch without problems, and got it finally. NO THANKS TO MG for that one.

And liking MATRIX GAMES and liking the GAME are two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS. I LOVE SPWaW, have PAID my bucks for it, LOVING megacampaigns. But frankly the support requiring me to do a separate registration is plain crap.
robot

Post by robot »

You still dont understand do you Kristo. You bought the mega campaigns. You did not buy SPWAW. It is free and only it is free. If you wanted it on disk. Then you may have paid a slight fee for that. You did not pay anything for SPWAW. Matrix is not allowed to charge anything for the game. That is per an agreement with the original makers.

I am sorry if you have problems with getting your email. But again that is not becuse of anything matrix has done. When i went and did the log in thing i had my password in less then a minute. Also had the patch installed in less then 10 minutes or near there. Thats not much hassles or wasted time for a great free game like this.
Kristo Vaher

Post by Kristo Vaher »

Damn, robot, this is the silliest post Ive read by you yet... Im not going even to try and rewrite what Ive already said again, since you clearly have no idea what Im talking about. However, it doesnt matter. SP WaW is a great product, and Generals Edition IS ON THE PAY FOR THE GAME cd. Let me quote: "Steel Panthers: World at War "Generals Edition" offers you SP:WAW v8.2 together with all 4 Megacampaigns on one disc." If they charge money for that, they charge money for SP WaW. This is what Ive got on my desktop on this very minute. Now, that product disc is copyrighted, and I cannot use the whoel of it, or parts, separately, copying, or any of that sorts. Its copyrighted. Even though its the "same" engine available free, it isnt non-paid-for.

As a quote: "This is an incremental update and requires v8.2 to be installed first. This update is for both the free version of Steel Panthers: World At War as well as the Steel Panthers: General's Edition compilation." says that there are indeed "two" versions of SP WaW. One non-paid, another paid, not holding MegaCampaigns different, but as part of the product.

But I DONT CARE anymore. I got the patch through other means. Matrix Games bs publishing and marketing and support decisions have no effect on gameplay or product happiness any more. Even if the free product was developed freely, it does not mean that Matrix Games, the license owner, can screw the support up more than they would on non-free products. Not top mention that they DO charge money for Generals Edition.

Whatever, have fun in your false dreams. I do know that some of you live in those dreams, in awe towards MG.

Goodbye. May you live happily ever after.
Don Doom

Post by Don Doom »

I am just curious as to why everyone has to keep reg for this or that when it use to be out in the open and free??[&:]

Robot: get rid of the matrix knee pads!
Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining
robot

Post by robot »

That is false about you payin for SPWAW because its on the general edition disk. It is free and thats all there is too it. You paid what i said you paid for the Mega campaigns. You gave nothing for SPWAW. You can rationalize in your own mind how ever you want too.

And if you ever met me in person you would know i dont kow tow or kiss any mans boots. I have never ever in my whole life kissed up to any person. This is the first time i have ever even made a post that came close to sounding like a bitch about any of the posts here.

For some reason i just got tired of some one bitching about a simple process that takes a small amount of time from your life. And this is for something that some one has given them for free to start with. This world has gone to pot since so much free stuff has been handed out. And even then the recipients of this free stuff are not satisfied. They hate the stuff because they have to expend an effort to get it.
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

ORIGINAL: Kristo Vaher Goodbye. May you live happily ever after.
There is only one Hexed Gamer
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Les_s_Place
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

Wasting your time Robot, some people can't indentify trees even after you dump a forest on their heads :)

Let him think he paid for SPWaW if it floats his boat. You me and thousands of others already know and have known for years, that SSI (who ever they actually are these days) owns the game, does not allow it to be sold, requires all and any patch or version (including the SP Camo versions and patches eh) to be made entirely free.

Each download of the game this twirp and any other more appreciative person has downloaded has COST MATRIX GAMES money for use of the bandwidth to get said download.

Hmm lets see, what are todays stats of the moment.

13661 Registered users have made 678243 posts in 114 forums. There are currently 93500 topics.
Please welcome our newest member: John Woods
The latest post was made by Bobthehatchit on 10/22/2004 2:52:08 PM
You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit

Anyone here actually believe we actually DO have 13661 members in reality though?
We have that many accounts in the data base of course.
I wonder how many accounts are in the new members data base, now that number would tell staff something.
Personally, I think that is about enough reason to have done what they did if for no other reason eh. Tells David a lot more than the 13661 statistic eh.

Hey Kristo Vaher I routinely send out a cd in the mail to interested persons that contact me. It has the whole friggin lot, every permutation of Steel Panthers (no Mega Campaign software of course other than the free patches) including the SP Camo variants and other goodies like H2H from Panzer Leo.
And the interested party gets to send me 5 bucks FIRST to cover my postage costs (because I ain't rich). And guess what, you AIN'T paying for the game, not a penny.

You might have seen Steelers charitable offer notion as well. Send some bucks to a charity, et mailed a cd with the basic game. That charitable offer is just his way of telling you to do a kindness for a kindness eh. You AIN'T buying squat when you make the donation either.

You may or may not like some of the operations decisions at Matrix Games, but gfact remains, David has given OUT a shitload more than he has taken IN in the last 4 years if you ask me (where Steel Panthers WaW is concerned). It would be nice to hear he has gotten beyond breaking even with all this, but it would also surprise me to hear he has.
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

Hope you enjoy "buying" your next game Kristo, where ever that may be :)
Don Doom

Post by Don Doom »

Gentlemen, SPWAW is not "FREE" for those that have dial-up or no access to DSL or Cable. Depending where you are in the world it can cost up to between 25.00 to 40.00 US dollors, even for a small patch! This cost is cancelled for a very SMALL group of players by people who will cut a cd if asked! But some people are unable to ask or too proud to ask for a hand out. So no spwaw is not "FREE" no mater what matrix say's.
Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

I once had dial up, god it sucked. The rates were marginal, but so was the thrill value.

To download SPWaW that first time, the phone was defacto "not available" for a solid 2.75 days eh.
But the file transfer didn't actually cost me "more" per se, it just took a good deal longer and a good deal more waiting and the use of something like Getright was essential.

Now I might have just left the download to download during the night when I was in no need of the phone I suppose. But that would have meant a week waiting... yuck.

Today a download of 500 megs is really nothing worth comment. I can download several gigs of data each day every day for whatever puny whim I wish.
Ain't free of course I am paying 45 bucks a month to be able to download all the time at incredible speed. If I had nothing meriting download, you can bet the DSL would get suspended as not being worth the cost.
But there is no attached cost beyond the fact I pay for unlimited download badwidth.

I think (I say think because I don't know), there might be places countries where a person is charged differently, but that sure wouldn't fly here in Ontario Canada. The service would go belly up in a day.

The cost of a cd though, and postage to any corner of the planet is truely puny. I spend more on a bag of Doritos. I have no way of understanding why a person punishes themselves so (not asking for aid). It's unfathomable.

I can only say to those that won't help themselves, you have only yourselves to blame really.
Frank W.

Post by Frank W. »

ORIGINAL: Kristo Vaher

i don´t need the patch, still playing ol´ 7.1 + H2H.

no patch, no cry [;)]
Frank W.

Post by Frank W. »

let me add, that i find much of robots and esp. les´ posts irrelevant.

the issue is "why you need to register to d/l a patch" ?

i haven´t heard an explanation for this yet.

also i might notice at paradox or hps you don´t need
to register to d/l patches....

but the q is:

do we need this patch really ?

my answer is no.

a patch cannot change the remaining bugs in the
game engine due to the exe cannot be changed.

so issues like

- 30 smoke shots in 1 turn
- magically spinning stugs and SU´s
- the dumb AI
- pbm save files got corrupted

and others

won´t be changed....

i was quite satysfied with the H2H OOB for 7.1.
okay still there are much things that could be changed
but i think the effort doesn´t justify the results.

i still honour the ppl. that made possible more patches
and oob changes after 7.1, even if i don´t need them till
now.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”