War in Europe!

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Wallymanowar

War in Europe!

Post by Wallymanowar »

Hi,

Just another suggestion that WIR be joined to a game of North Africa and the Western Front to create a game which cover the whole European Theatre.

------------------
'Bitter Mike'
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
Yogi Berra
Ed Cogburn

Post by Ed Cogburn »

I would love to see such a game, but it won't be from this WIR update alas. They've said several times that a massive change like this isn't possible. They'll be fixing bugs (there are a lot), and adding a few small features. See the features list for an idea of what kind of things they are doing (and what they aren't).

Maybe a Matrix/GG combo can tackle this dream of merging WiR, West Front, and an Italian module plus even a N. Africa module, in a few years. One can always hope. Image
RCMP

Post by RCMP »

I agree a world strategic wargame would be the ultimate!!!

Oh Well maybe merge WF with WIF and PAC Image
Maybe next decade?
Queen's Cowboy's Always get their man......
Ed Cogburn

Post by Ed Cogburn »

Originally posted by RCMP:

Maybe next decade?

Yikes! Don't say "next decade", thats ~9.5 years away! Lets say 2 years, and then pray its sooner. Image

A grand strategic simulation of WW2 would be awesome, but I don't know if anyone will ever persue it. We could hope for a computer implementation of the boardgame "World in Flames", but that's just a pipe dream.

As for WF, WiR, and PAC, I'll take WF + WiR but leave out PAC, because PAC's ground combat simulation is totally incompatible with WF or WiR. It would take major surgery to get all three working together consistently. Also, the WF/WiR combo would still leave N. Africa and the Italian peninsula unsupported. Supporting the combat in Italy and N. Africa will be like making an entirely new game. Even just a simulation of Europe at the scale of WF/WiR, would be the ultimate "monster game", and I just don't see anyone willing to do this, knowing there won't be much revenue from it, since it appeals to a small wargaming audience.

I read Gary Grigsby once said he wan't to do something like this, but until now, no computer game company was interested. Would Matrix be interested, especially after the investment of time and money into updating WiR for free? I don't know. Would Gary still be interested? I don't know.
Redbirdy

Post by Redbirdy »

Actually, work is proceeding nicely on the computer version of World In Flames.
Bill aka Bearwolfen

Post by Bill aka Bearwolfen »

My experience in playing War in Russia and _Pacific with good opponents would make a fusion game unmanageable let alone the time/turn aspect. The absolute best way to play either game is with teams.

Maybe next decade?
"You can't say that civilization don't advance...
for in every war they kill you a new way." Will Rogers
Ed Cogburn

Post by Ed Cogburn »

Originally posted by Redbirdy:
Actually, work is proceeding nicely on the computer version of World In Flames.

Really? Excellent! The last I heard was from cdmag.com, "War in the Works" column,
http://www.cdmag.com/Home/home.html?article=http://www.cdmag.com/articles/027/043/War_InTheWorks.html

where they say its vaporware with no guarantees of ever showing up...

Can you point me to an official website for RtM? Is there one? Where do you get your info? TIA.
Redbirdy

Post by Redbirdy »

Originally posted by Ed Cogburn:

Can you point me to an official website for RtM?
RtM? I'm afraid you've lost me there. As for WiF, I've picked up most of what I've heard from the ADG web site (which is what is quoted in the cdmag article). Every once in a while there was a post on the WiF List re the computer version but it appears the list is down, perhaps terminally. John Bosch (one of the playtesters) also had a site with updates but his ISP reorganized and I haven't been able to find it.

The fact that ADG finally set a scheduled release date is in itself a reason for optimism. I think that they simply didn't realize what a monumental task it would be to convert WiF to computer...especially since the board game seems to go through almost continuous rule changes itself.
Ed Cogburn

Post by Ed Cogburn »

Originally posted by Redbirdy:
RtM? I'm afraid you've lost me there.

Sorry, RtM = "Road to Moscow". Another great game that allegedly exists but still hasn't seen the light of day. I got my games mixed up. Image
Larry Holt

Post by Larry Holt »

I agree a world strategic wargame would be the ultimate!!!...
Wouldn't it be?! With the increase in computing power, RAM, disc space, etc. in home computers I can forsee some awesome possibilities here. Can you imagine a strategic map, forces come into contact to do battle then the game drops down to a tactical level where you fight out that battle. If you don't want to fight them all, you could have some AIP subordinates. You'd choose some tactical rules (e.g attack aggressively, attack slowly, defend, etc.). You could make production decisions, allocate resources and units, what possibilities!

------------------
An old soldier but not yet a faded one.
OK, maybe just a bit faded.
Never take counsel of your fears.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Is this game actually coming out later this month???

Tomo
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

Originally posted by Tombstone:
Is this game actually coming out later this month???

Tomo
If you mean the War in Russia update, Matrix announced today that it will be out on the 23rd - next Wednesday. If you mean the dream game being discussed earlier in the thread, don't know of anyone working on it, although there is quite a bit of good design work in the discussion.

Rick

------------------
Rick Bancroft
Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

I meant WiR update I guess. Next wednesday sounds pretty cool, if it comes out then it'll be another instance of project on time for free... and I'm sure its an excellent game to begin with, improvements notwithstanding.

A question to Matrix: Was it difficult to get the rights to these titles from SSI? Or were they mostly cooperative? Or was part of it that you had to cover up the atrocity and cant say?

Tomo

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”