Just bought KP - some questions

Korsun Pocket is a the second game using the award winning SSG Decisive Battles game engine. Korsun Pocket recreates the desperate German attempt to escape encirclement on the Russian Front early in 1944. The battle is a tense and exciting struggle, with neither side having a decisive advantage, as the Russians struggle to form the pocket, then try to resist successive German rescue efforts and last ditch attempts at breakout.
Stehlek

Just bought KP - some questions

Post by Stehlek »

After debating over $60 for BiN, and $35 for KP, I went with the cheaper. Maybe next year I'll be able to afford ('justify') buying a game for more than $40. Not yet, though. A couple of questions though...

How many scenarios come with KP? How many are added with AtD? Which version of TAO is included?

I know that the details are abstracted - as the system evolves, are there any plans for making the OOB more detailed? I really enjoyed the breakdown in HttR when it came to unit details. Something similar (but not as exacting) would be nice to see in future titles in the DBWW2 series. Or does BiN already have this?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Good Day!

Stehlek
Clipper1968

RE: Just bought KP - some questions

Post by Clipper1968 »

Welcome to the club.[;)]
IIRC KP includes 7 scen( a full campaign+6 scen depicting a part of the battle or an hypothetical situation)
You get only one scen with AtD, but I have enjoyed much more playing AtD than KP.[:)]Just my humble opinion.
I think it is the TAO 3 that is included.
Unfortunately the only thing which is missing is effectively a detailed OOB[:(] and I don't think it has been setup with BiN.
I have ordered BiN box version and have not received the shipment yet,hope I will get it one day...[:D]so I can't help.
"s'instruire pour vaincre"
Clipper1968

Post by Clipper1968 »

I just forgot an important thing that is you can find a lot of scen made by the Run 5 community at the following website:
www.ssg.com.au
Enjoy the game.[:)]
Stehlek

Post by Stehlek »

Thanks for the quick reply. Too bad obout the OOBs - though I have seen some screen shots that detail army/corps/division make ups. It would be nice to get an entire OOB for the campaign somewhere. If I really get into KP, I may go ahead and get the add-on.

Besides the scenario, does AtD contain any changes and/or enhancements to gameplay that are not included in the 1.10 patch?

Thanks again!

Stehlek
Clipper1968

Post by Clipper1968 »

In KP you get an OOB that you can access during the game but when I have said that it was not detailed enough IMHO,I was referring to AtD where the Korps level was missing:you get the Panzer Gruppe, Divisions,independent units but not the Korps.[:(] I have had to pick them up in some books, but IIRC in KP Korps level are listed,so the OOB is quite completed.
There is no enhancement in the gameplay for AtD.
For a newbie I think that AtD is more easy to enjoy than KP as playing as Germans you get space to maneuver your units for Soviet units encirclement wheras in KP you are directly in contact with enemy units and a lot of units are stuck in the mud:just a question of taste.
It is a very good game but it is difficult to get immerse at the beginning, so don't discourage and persevere in and you will enjoy a lot of hours playing KP.
Hope this help.
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

@ Stehlek
As Pumba suggest, I think AtD is much better for newbie (including myself) to learn about game and deployment
Some of the KP scenarios are so packed, and little room for spear-heading the field
BTW I found short scenarios in SSG site (formerly run5 site but now run5 is merged with SSG) made by fan are really outstanding
Since I wasnt that interested in the KP pocket situation, for me AtD or Troubles in Bastonge were much more interesting
Wiking Whiteout is a very short but good scenario
If you want PBEM please e mail me
SInce I am newbie I might let you know valueable hints as seasoned player but at least you will find that the skill level is quite similar[;)]
Stehlek

Post by Stehlek »

Thanks for the suggestions and invite. It may take me a while to learn at my own pace - but when I get comfortable with the game I'll look for some PBEM. Thanks again!

Stehlek

Return to “Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket”