Rampant pro policy thread

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Orzel Bialy

RE: Rampant pro policy thread

Post by Orzel Bialy »

Les Les Les...why must you always put yourself on a self-appointed pedastal and then attempt to spit down on those you perceive to be above? [:-]

A truly superior intellect does not go on spouting off about things that cause disharmony and ill will...only a pompus fool does that.

It may burst your buddle to hear this...but your years of gaming and lessons of life do not make you wiser than 10-50-75% of the community around you. Chances are you are right in the middle of the pack with the vast majority of us Les...no more a sinner or a saint than those you look down your nose at and label stupid or whiner.

Get use to being average Les...it's what you are at best.

As for the rest of us...I suggest:

[:D]

PS...You shouldn't demean others and then ask for the thread to be locked down because you don't like the replies you see to your silly posts Les. Reap what you sow my friend.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Les, and everyone else, let me suggest that tonight's rants and raves have gone on long enough. I don't moderate this forum, but I can call in the heavy artillery, if necessary.
Why don't we call a cease fire for tonight, OK? Les, are you with me on this? I'm defending you, whether you want it or not. Please don't let me down. Let it go for tonight.
Orzel Bialy

Post by Orzel Bialy »

Cheese it everyone...the cops just showed up! [:D]

Night everyone. [:)]
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

I think any "good" computer wargame under 100 bucks is just a computer wargame under 100 bucks.

To me seriously priced wargames BEGIN at 100 bucks.

Les, what currency are you using here? USD or Canadian?
What, me worry?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

ORIGINAL: David Heath
ORIGINAL: bostonrpgmania

well
If not anybody wants the box, why matrix games sells boxes?
There are demands and there will be supply
as simples as that

We did it so gamers without high speed internet can still get the games mailed to them.

David

And those of us stuck with dial-up DO appreciate that David. :)
What, me worry?
Orzel Bialy

Post by Orzel Bialy »

ORIGINAL: Bernie
Les, what currency are you using here? USD or Canadian?

Bernie

Post by Bernie »

It is well enough known (I think), that I have broadband access.
It is also (I think) well enough known I have the ability to burn anything I might download to cd and or dvd.
So I suppose I can't be considered one of those, that perceives being required to have broadband or access to a burner of some sort as an obstacle.

Now, I must say, I do indeed know of persons that either do not have broadband or a dvd burner. But then the reverse is self evident. Those persons know me.
And a logical thinking person can clearly then deduce, that a person could make the simple leap of logic and assume, hey, why not go to Hexed Gamer's place, borrow his broadband and download a game onto my system via his broadband connection. Then let him burn the damn thing for me.

Yes I know what you are thinking, that would give me free access to the download, nice scam.
No, not really.
He connects my broadband cable to his system. He downloads onto his computer not mine. I put my burner drive in his system, he burns to his own disc, I remove the drive, presto, I just made a non argument out of not having broadband or a burner.

What? are you guys telling me you are such wretched schmucks you have not one friend with broadband or a dvd burner drive?

Where the heck are you living exactly? Sounds like it is way to remote for my liking.

Gee Les, in my neck of the woods calling someone a "wretched schmuck" isn't considered very friendly, or respectful. Apparently it's not so in your area, or here in these forums? In that case, I'll feel free to use the term now... nah, on second thought, why sink to that level? :)

To address your point though, it isn't always as easy as you seem to think it is. Take my case for example.

No, I don't have broadband access. It is not physically possible to get it where I currently live.

Yes, I do have access to a burner, and I do have friends with broadband. The burner is installed in my own system, the friend with the broadband is 30 miles away.

In order for me to do what you suggest I'd have to remove a rather large chunk of my home/office network, lug a 45lb tower and 40lb monitor 30 miles to her house (she has only a laptop without a burner or monitor), reconfigure my system to access her network, make the download and burn the CD, reconnect her system, lug everything home again, then get my network setup again. Or, I can just buy the game in a box. Gee, which would be easier? [8|]
What, me worry?
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Guys--please--I'm outside my domain, but give it a rest. This conversation is going nowhere fast.
Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

ORIGINAL: dinsdale

dinsdale, I have said it before, I will obviously need to say it again.

Sometimes my opinion is sourced by a multitude of sources that DO have the game, HAVE played the game, and if I elect to support a view point of people I know to trust, then my not having had the game, is not relevant in all cases.
What exactly has anyone else's experience go to do with being so delighted at expensive games with no manuals? That's what this thread was about after all, how exceptionally wonderful it is and how that huge, 4 post, thread at Wargamer was unnecessarily knocking matrix.

Now if I started a thread on how great it was that gasoline prices were beneficial, I'd at least not do it until I bought some.
My idea of a "danger sign" is everyone insisting a game has to be in stunning richly detailed real time 3d to be any good, because it is required to attract joe blow gamer who is often to dim to be capable of enjoying an old style game that is "too boring".
First off, I don't care if that just insulted joe average gamer.
Second, that just fuels the myth joe average gamer is ever going to want to become joe average wargamer.
It might make you better to feel superior about your recreational chioces, but that's all they are: choices. As it's easier to buy, see and get information on mainstream games than wargames, I'd say the hobby was in serious trouble. That's not the same as thinking someone is an imbecile for liking Doom3, or call him "Joe"
All real time 3d has given us, is a great wealth of copy cat crud in most cases. I read the reviews eh, most real time 3d games being produced or that have been produced, feature stunning graphics and lame game play.
No, 3D has pushed the envelope of PC games and made them sell comparative numbers as consoles. There are plenty games I don't like which are 3D, but I wouldn't call them crud.
Highway to the Reich, no real time 3d.
errr it's a real time game.
Strategic Command, no real time 3d.
Uncommon Valour, no real time 3d.
War in the Pacific, no real time 3d.
Battles in Normandy, no real time 3d.
Steel Panthers, no real time 3d.
3D is generally not an important feature for grand strategy, or operational strategy. You may as well say that they don't have hip-hop soundtracks, therefore the lack of hip-hop soundtracks makes them good.
I can't think of a single game using real time and 3d, that anyone has been willing to state was a "great wargame".
Combat Mission uses 3d, but they gave it WEGO system, and I think that makes a substantial difference.
Highway to the Reich uses real time, but isn't 3d, and that makes a difference.
Of course, I can use exclusionary and inclusionary criteria too. Not really worth it though.
The only danger I see for computer wargaming, is game makers waste to much time and effort pandering to people that never wanted to be wargamers in the first place, and not enough energy delivering a great wargame in the first place.
The danger I see is that only mega-hits with watered down gameplay such as Total War are in stores. Wargames now reside in the download or mail-order abyss. Maybe you don't mind as you don't seem to buy many games anyway, but I would like as many new wargames as there are FPS, and I'd like to be able to pick them up at a store if need be, with a manual.
There is a reason why people still pay top dollar for ASL on eBay when they can't buy if from MMP fast enough. It's because it is a real wargame, and has remained as such regardless of the trend in compuer wargames to imply you need to dummy down a product to make it sell.
Right, and ASL boardgames are going to outsell say Monopoly or the latest party game is it?
It will never be "cool" to be a historian, as much as it is "cool" to be a quarterback. Thus, I don't expect in 10 years or 20 years, to see a massive influx of wargamers, regardless of how "cute" a wargame designer makes his product.
err I don't see why sports is somehow in competition with wargames. I've played competative sports since the age of 5, doesn't make me not understand wargames. Looks to me like you're inventing exclusion to promote some specialness.

There is no redeeming factor which makes BiN any more worthwhile than say RollerCoaster Tycoon or Deerhunter. It's just a personal choice. It doesn't make anyone superior, of give them any greater taste, it's just an entertainment choice.

What our hobby needs is just something "fresh".
How can it get fresh when any change is greeted with derision or suspicion?

Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

Hey guys, I retired a persona, I didn't die.

Oh if you really are going, then go, don't let me stop you :)

Ah that means go by the way, you know leave, as in don't return as in you know don't respond.

I didn't change my spots, on the contrary, I decided anyone didn't like the real spots, could drop dead.

Really, you know, drop dead. Spin doctor that till hell freezes over.

And for the record, I likely AM a great deal smarter than most of you whiners, but I am also wise enough to know how little merit there is in worrying over whether you care.

Don't expect me to care.

Matrix Games is a good producer of games.
Tough luck if they are to expensive for you. Digtal download or otherwise.
Get used to playing arcady games for the lower end of the IQ scale if you want them priced under 40 bucks.

I play lightweight games like the rest of you.
But at least I recognise them for what they are.
Mindless indulgences requiring no intellect.
When I want a serious game, I am prepared to make the investment one requires.

hahahaha!

The best and yet the most stupid line in this entire conversation! Nice job less...[8|]
Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Les, did you really just call anyone who plays any game besides the ones that you do stupid?

No offense Les, but I could match you brain cell for brain cell, and still be able to watch Jeopardy at the same time.

Trust me, there is a difference between smart and pompous ass. Look it up.

Goblin

dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

ORIGINAL: Kevinugly
Spurious line of argument! By this definition the only discussions one could enter into are those on subjects in which one had direct experience.

Correct, but it's not a discussion. It is "Phooey, if people can rant aganst something, I can rant for it just as much" thread. It's not a general discussion about a game or anything else, it's specifically a pom-pom for Matrix's new DD and pricing policy. Now unless you're going to put your money where your mouth is, IMHO it's hypocritical. I would expect the same if I started a thread telling everyone not to buy or play Korsun Pocket, then admitted that I have it and love playing it.
This year was the first one that the amount of time spent playing console games exceeded that spent playing on the PC. Take a look at the gamestore shelves, take a look at sales figures, you're wrong!
Consoles have been outselling PC games for years, it's not even close. The only games which do compete are the vastly popular shooters. Without the latest technology they have nothing to compete against console. Doom3 and the forthcoming Half Life and The Sims2 will end up being the biggest sellers of the year. What do they all have in common?
Obviously a slip since later 'Hexed' says...I think that's called 'selective editing'
If it was a slip he would have corrected it.
So how is the 'Total War' series 'watered down'? Could we have specifics rather than sweeping generalisations. I presume you've played both games released so far quite extensively so your expert opinion would be much valued.
I have and play both Shogun and MTW. They are not exactly in the WiTP realm, or even HTTR scale of difficulty. That doesn't mean they are not tremendous games, and they are a lot of fun, but they are not and never will be complex strategy or tactical games.
So would I but it isn't going to happen, 3d or not 3d.
Maybe it wasn't clear in my post, I didn't mean to imply it had anything to do with 3D.
It's a metaphor, deal with it on that level.
No, it's not. It's some preservation or celebration of geekdom. It's also derogatory and insulting. All in all, pretty much stock-in-trade for those who feel the games they play somehow set them apart from others.

It's not confined to games, films, music and books have their own branch of snobs, though perhaps in a niche market which needs every sale it can get: insulting others and pretending superiority are self-defeating?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

ORIGINAL: Reiryc
ORIGINAL: Goblin

Les, did you really just call anyone who plays any game besides the ones that you do stupid?

No offense Les, but I could match you brain cell for brain cell, and still be able to watch Jeopardy at the same time.

Trust me, there is a difference between smart and pompous ass. Look it up.

Goblin

.50Kerry

Post by .50Kerry »

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

Ah that means go by the way, you know leave, as in don't return as in you know don't respond.

I didn't change my spots, on the contrary, I decided anyone didn't like the real spots, could drop dead.

And for the record, I likely AM a great deal smarter than most of you whiners, but I am also wise enough to know how little merit there is in worrying over whether you care.

Don't expect me to care.

Matrix Games is a good producer of games.
Tough luck if they are to expensive for you. Digtal download or otherwise.
Get used to playing arcady games for the lower end of the IQ scale if you want them priced under 40 bucks.

I play lightweight games like the rest of you.
But at least I recognise them for what they are.
Mindless indulgences requiring no intellect.
When I want a serious game, I am prepared to make the investment one requires.

hahahaha!

The best and yet the most stupid line in this entire conversation! Nice job less...[8|]

Hey now Reiryc it is neither nice, nor kind to make fun of people who game on buses shorter than your own.

Lester is like the old disco denizen who simply will not let go of the leisure suit.

There is enough room at the gaming table for all genres, methods of procurement, and support and anyone narcissistic enough to preen and pretend that they are a "guiding light of REAL gaming"-well they need help eh?

regards,
sven

p.s. good broadside gobby
Anchors aweigh!

riverbravo

Post by riverbravo »

Don't expect me to care.

When are you gonna leave?

You have promised it multiple times but yet you return.

And now you hurl insults at the community and try to get a mod to shut it down because you are getting bent over as usual.

When are you gonna spend a hundred bucks on pc wargame?You wont even spend a hundred bucks to get more RAM for youre pc and cry about it.What?Do you just get a new hamster when the one thats running youre pc gives out?

Do you think you are some WG guru that everyone sits on the edge of their seats and eagerly awaits the drivel you spew out?Hardly.

Whats wrong?I guess you have already made the circle of forums and have been seen as the idiot you are and now we are lucky enough for you to grace us with youre presence?

You were just over at other forums ranting about how crummy matrix is and yet you come back to post these great threads?What substance, its the same old drivel he was drooling two months ago when he was yelling he was never coming back and lurking the threads to see who cared and put up thirty plus posts after he claimed never to return.

Then he couldnt understand why nobody cared.Why didnt anybody rreply to my farewell thread...boohoo...waaaa waaaa.

you just dont get it Less,nobody cares what you want or think.You have labeled yourself an idiot a long time ago and just keep on reinforcing everyones notion that you are a idiot who is standing on a soapbox with his nose in the corner trying to say somthing.

Keep on diggin the hole and soon enough it will be so deep that we wont be able to hear you anymore.....please hurry.

And thanks for insulting the community that is trying to keep wargames alive and well....genius.
I laugh at hurricanes!
Kevinugly

Post by Kevinugly »

I was going to try to debate with you dinsdale but when I read
ORIGINAL: dinsdale
Obviously a slip since later 'Hexed' says...I think that's called 'selective editing'

If it was a slip he would have corrected it.

despite the fact that I had already shown you where 'Hexed' had corrected himself, I realised that I would be wasting my time.
Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Thanks sven!

Goblin[:)]
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

ORIGINAL: EricGuitarJames
ORIGINAL: bostonrpgmania
I am particularly aware of the average gamers education level.
If they don't like being called dumb, tough, I spent the decades learning what I know, I earned being smarter, to bad if the Doom 3 people can't handle that I DO possess a higher measure of intellect.

Oh well,,,, he has gone too far. I play doom 3, I play KP, I play Civ depending on my mood of the day....

Strangely enough so do I[;)]

I've learned over the months spent on these forums that one always has to take the opinions of 'Hexed' here with a large 'pinch of salt'. 'Forgive and forget' because he's not referring to you or me (well he'd better not be referring to me anyway[8D]).

Thank you EricGuitarJames[;)]
Nilbog

Post by Nilbog »

:) cute Tracer hehe, but I am sorta fond of the japanese school uniforms :)

Really? Must be hard finding them in your size, huh? [:'(]
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

NOT NILBOG AGAIN!!![X(]

Grrr. I will find you someday, lol...

Goblin

Return to “General Discussion”