AAR - PBEM Game "Akula"

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

MButtazoni

RE: AAR - PBEM Game "Akula"

Post by MButtazoni »

All in all, I don't think Japan's Indian adventure was very profitable for him

it bought me time [:D], and time is Japan's only defense at this point in a game. Those 6 months u spent taking back India would have been spent taking French IndoChina and Sumatra.
Maurice Buttazoni
Project Coordinator, Playtest Coordinator

IDrinkBeer

Post by IDrinkBeer »

it bought me time , and time is Japan's only defense at this point in a game. Those 6 months u spent taking back India would have been spent taking French IndoChina and Sumatra.

I agree.. [:)] Every unit Japan throws at India ( and even China ) is one less unit in the WA's way when they start their move towards Tokyo.
IDB

"Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

ORIGINAL: IDrinkBeer
it bought me time , and time is Japan's only defense at this point in a game. Those 6 months u spent taking back India would have been spent taking French IndoChina and Sumatra.

I agree.. [:)] Every unit Japan throws at India ( and even China ) is one less unit in the WA's way when they start their move towards Tokyo.

Um, he meant the opposite, Japan forced WA to spend time retaking India, keeping the WA our of DEI etc.
IDrinkBeer

Post by IDrinkBeer »

ORIGINAL: Yohan
ORIGINAL: IDrinkBeer

Um, he meant the opposite, Japan forced WA to spend time retaking India, keeping the WA our of DEI etc.

Looking back on my post, I wasn't very clear on what I was agreeing with... [:D]

I was agreeing with the implication that the WA spent precious time re-capturing the areas in India.

What I meant to say was, if I was playing the WA in that game I would not have bothered taking back India. I would have concentrated on isolating the Japanese Home Islands. Once you can isolate the Home Islands everything else Japan controls will be easy pickin's.

[:D]

Sorry for the confusion. I'm at work and have to type my thoughts much too quickly.
IDB

"Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

I'd agree with you - generally speaking. In WITP, when I play Allies I plan on advancing through Central Pacific directly towards Japan, or at least towards Saipan and Tinian, without wasting time on any side-show theatres.

But this is not WITP [:D]

Japan player managed to bottle up my entire West Coast skillfully using his subs (and lets not forget - some unintentional sub-related bugs in the alpha version as well). That fact alone, completely blocked all possibilities of Pacific offensives for me. I had dozens of units all around globe sitting idly, this Indian thing at least gave the opportunity to use some of them. All this time I have significant forces isolated on Hawaii islands (luckily I managed to sneak some supplies to them every now and then), but am unable to use them ofensivelly (what I have on Hawaii islands is several times stronger than all JA Pacific garrisons, combined). I also admit I underestimated the need for transport fleets for WA - I should have produced at least twice as much transport fleets (perhaps at the expense of various INF/ARM units that I produced, and that spend the war drinking beer). I've been playing too much SU games in the past, one can tell...

With Germans at the gates of Moscow I'd be kicking myself in the head for being so stupid in the Pacific, but with general situation in this game as it is, I am quite pleased with my Middle East/Indian/Indian Ocean operations (as WA) - slowly, but surely, Allies are reducing Germany, and are about to win the game overall, even though JA played excellent campaign in Pacific and China.

O.
MButtazoni

Post by MButtazoni »

Fall 1944 - Japan

i sent a few subs out to sink Transports (lost a JA sub in the process) and reinforced some key territories as well. not much else to do at this point. [:D]
Maurice Buttazoni

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

IJN redeployed its subs in the Indian Ocean trying to cut off the Cairo-India route. I cleared one sub flotilla with my Alexandria based fleets, reestablished conwoy route to India, brought some troops and supplies, and liberated West Burma, detsroying 1 INF unit. Another JA INF unit was detsroyed with liberation of Wake Island in the Pacific. Wake operation was WA's first Pacific offensive, and it was done on a shoestring, which again showed our lack of transports, but hey, what else is new...

We attacked West Germany from Holland and France - we know we can't take it, but wanted to weaken the Germans to make the final conquest easier for Soviet Union (Soviets took East Germany this turn, GE controls just one province now, although his Typ XXI subs still roam the seas. German Volksturm militias activated when WG was attacked...

O.

Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (155.48 KiB) Viewed 63 times
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Soviet Union - Fall 1944

Our victorious troops smashed into Berlin - seizing the Reichstag in a blaze of gunfire & artillery. The remainder of our troops massed in both Austria & Czechoslovakia for the final blow agains the Germans.

Our attention is beginning to turn East & the full might of the Red Army will soon pay a visit to the Rising Sun.

Attachments
Akula - So..all 1944.jpg
Akula - So..all 1944.jpg (179.87 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
MButtazoni

Post by MButtazoni »

...Red Army will soon pay a visit to the Rising Sun.

why do i think this will not be a diplomatic visit? [:o]
Maurice Buttazoni

ElvisDaKing

Post by ElvisDaKing »

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

We attacked West Germany from Holland and France - we know we can't take it, but wanted to weaken the Germans to make the final conquest easier for Soviet Union
O.

Oleg,
With some roleplay, and considering that WA and Su were fighting the same ennemy, but were not allied, I don't think Winston would be happy to let all Germany, Austria and Greece in the hands of the Red Army.
In the other way,when playing SU and still with this roleplay, focus for the Red Army is to strike westward all other Europe to reach the Atlantic ocean....

Is there any possibilities to implement these tense relationship between SU and WA, to arrange a Yalta conference...
I haven't read about the victory conditions :
- is SU AND WA declared winner when Axis is crushed ?
- is SU OR WA declared winner when Axis is crushed, depending on territories under their own control ?
'To my point, in war, there s just one attractive thing : the victory Parade... What sucks, it s all the things before.... We should get the enlist payroll and do the parade right away, before that it get totally screwed up'
Un Taxi pour Tobrouk
MButtazoni

Post by MButtazoni »

- is SU AND WA declared winner when Axis is crushed

SU AND WA declared winner IF Axis is crushed [:D]
Maurice Buttazoni

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: ElvisDaKing
Oleg,
With some roleplay, and considering that WA and Su were fighting the same ennemy, but were not allied, I don't think Winston would be happy to let all Germany, Austria and Greece in the hands of the Red Army.
In the other way,when playing SU and still with this roleplay, focus for the Red Army is to strike westward all other Europe to reach the Atlantic ocean....

"With some roleplay", there's been labour coup in the UK in our game, and SU-backed communists now came to power. They are quite happy to see their Soviet brothers occupy whole of Germany. Winston escaped at the last moment and is currently writing political columns for Winnipeg Post. [:D]
Is there any possibilities to implement these tense relationship between SU and WA, to arrange a Yalta conference...

Joel will have to answer that, but generally speaking this game avoids messing with politics and diplomacy (good thing IMO).

Come on, this game didn't deviate all that much from history. Lets say that, although Soviets occupied Austria (they did with most of Austria in real war as well), we'll have to sit at the negotiating table and diccuss the future of those countries *after* the war.

Greece was this close to become communist in late 40s, but Stalin kept to his agreement with Winston and didn't get involved there. Without his help communist guerillas were defeated. Lets say that's what will happen here as well, after 3 or 4 years. [:D]

O.
MButtazoni

Post by MButtazoni »

Winter 45 - Japan

with the WA making moves in the central pacific i went after wake island. first i sent in some light fleets to push his naval units out of the way...

Attachments
Screenshot-00146.jpg
Screenshot-00146.jpg (127.02 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Maurice Buttazoni

MButtazoni

Post by MButtazoni »

and then i sent in 4 CV Air to attack wake island itself (with some success):

Attachments
Screenshot-00147.jpg
Screenshot-00147.jpg (96.96 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Maurice Buttazoni

paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Soviet Union - Winter 1945

Not much to report - we attacked Western Germany will some success (killing lots of units), but not taking the territory. More troops have moved up to repeat next season.

We have begun to redeploy several units to the East, should we have the opportunity to hit Japan in a couple of turns.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

IJN has 4 CV fleets, my Pacific fleet has 3. I don't know the ratings - didn't care to check. But if IJN wants a fight - they'll have a fight. I sent my 3 CVs along with some heavy and light fleets near Wake island. If IJN wants to come out and play - he's wellcome (picture). I may lose a battle but I hope it'll cost him as well. I have some CVs coming, he has none, not to mention the supply cost and burden to his industry any damaged units will make. I guess it's tempting for IJN, we'll see. His CVs were major detriment to me, even on turns when they did nothing at all.

I bombed Mariana islands, destroying a Japanese unit there. I also destroyed or damaged 2-3 IJN transport fleets this turn.

Looking back at this now rather old game, I can't believe how many bad decisions I made [:D] This was my first serious (vs. human) game as WA and today I'd do many things differently.

O.

Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (131.46 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

This is the view from the other side of the shrinking Japanese empire. Too bad this game has to end quite soon (I believe we have 3-4 turns left?) [:D]

O.

Attachments
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (135.6 KiB) Viewed 63 times
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

oleg ,

i have not recieve the latest turn can u resend thanks,
john
"the willow branch but bends beneath the snow"
MButtazoni

Post by MButtazoni »

Spring 1945 - Japan

One last Hurrah! If the US want a fight in the Central Pacific, why not. i out number him 2 to 1 in Heavy Fleets in the pacific so i figure i have the advantage (for maybe 1 more turn).

i sent in the whole IJN (at a cost of 61 supply[:@]):

Attachments
Screenshot-00153.jpg
Screenshot-00153.jpg (155.45 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Maurice Buttazoni

MButtazoni

Post by MButtazoni »

and won the battle: (a somewhat pyhric victory)

Attachments
Screenshot-00155.jpg
Screenshot-00155.jpg (171.35 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Maurice Buttazoni

Return to “After Action Reports”