Dry spell for computer gaming?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

bartholimew

Dry spell for computer gaming?

Post by bartholimew »

Is it my imagination or are things pretty soft out there for half decent games at this moment? I am not into 3D shooters no way. Nor AOE RTS clones, hate em. I really like strategy, turn based or real time is OK. And role playing strategy hybrids. I appreciate graphics (MY opinion but I'm not partial to board game markers in this modern CPU age). Whats around the corner? Well all kinds of stuff, The Fall, Silent Storm 3, UFO 2, Combat leader (hurry-up!), Close Assault (don't shelf it please!).
But right now there is squat for my taste. I just bought a couple discount games from EB and threw my money away. Time to go back and replay...well reload first then replay my old favorites. Medival Total war, not into expansions tho, but we had fun. Squad Assault, yep put time into that, maybe try the new mods, I read the forums there. S2 great graphics there, but no replay value. Close Combat Normandy loved it, too easy tho. Cbt mission, ya I could reload that and play until something new comes along. If there is something out there along those lines let me know. What are you guys playin?
Hexed Gamer

RE: Dry spell for computer gaming?

Post by Hexed Gamer »

Depends on what you call "substance" in your wargame.

I am wondering, do you have any of these games?

Panzer Campaigns several of them.
Squad Battles, several of them.
Campaign series, several of them.
The Operational Art of War
Uncommon Valour or War in the Pacific
Highway to the Reich
Korsun Pocket
Russo German War
Strategic Command
Spartan
Panzer General series

And those are just the WW2 opportunities.
I will allow another member to list the non WW2 listings.

Some of my list are new some are old, and if you haven't played them yet, the age is not relevant.
There is only one Hexed Gamer
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Les_s_Place
W Thorne

Post by W Thorne »

bartholimew you really need to take a look at Highway to the Reich and War in the Pacific. Both are tremendous games and from Matrix so you don't have to go far in these forums to check them out.
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

On the light entertainment side, I'm actually looking forward to Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War.

Yes, RTS it is, but with much less of that annoying resource gathering stuff. Your base size and control of territory is what helps you get reinforcements (from orbital ships to your base)
Got StuG?
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

I thought Battles in Normandy went gold? Shouldn't it be around the corner?
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

Rule #1 of wargames, it is never "arrived" until AFTER it is on sale :)
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Rome: Total War is only a couple of weeks away (if that).

Glad to see somebody else looking out for "The Fall" - I'm eagerly awaiting that one. Silver Style's previous game was Soldiers of Anarchy which is one of my favourite games ever - probably the ultimate "fabulous game nobody bought" [:(]
wodin

Post by wodin »

If you love Close Combat and like turn based then buy Squad Battles Advance of the Reich. With all the new user made scenarios, squad combat in Stalingrad ha snever been as much fun. I was wary of thsi one. Played it a couple of times and thought...........hmm I know a game is here somewhere but Im not getting it............then I read some articles over at Team Echo replayed and now I love the game. Great playing PBEM in the ladder over at The Blitz too. The 3d is dman awfull and should never have been made. Hwoever with the new unit,vehicle,sound and counter mods in 2d it really starts to take a character all of its own. The best thing is that you start to feel for the soldiers. This hasnt happend for me in a game since Close Combat.
bartholimew

Post by bartholimew »

hmmm. 2 mentions for squad battles. My local EB has a copy, strange tho since HPS are usually not in commercial retail stores. Thx for the suggestions. They got a Korsun and a HTTR, between the two if I had to chose one......[&:]
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

If it was a contest between Korsun or HTTR, pick HTTR, only because the command aspect of the design is a nice change.
Kevinugly

Post by Kevinugly »

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

If it was a contest between Korsun or HTTR, pick HTTR, only because the command aspect of the design is a nice change.

I'd second that and would add that HTTR has a quite forgiving learning curve too.
Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.
Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe »

ORIGINAL: wodin

If you love Close Combat and like turn based then buy Squad Battles Advance of the Reich. With all the new user made scenarios, squad combat in Stalingrad ha snever been as much fun. I was wary of thsi one. Played it a couple of times and thought...........hmm I know a game is here somewhere but Im not getting it............then I read some articles over at Team Echo replayed and now I love the game. Great playing PBEM in the ladder over at The Blitz too. The 3d is dman awfull and should never have been made. Hwoever with the new unit,vehicle,sound and counter mods in 2d it really starts to take a character all of its own. The best thing is that you start to feel for the soldiers. This hasnt happend for me in a game since Close Combat.
I felt exactely the same way.
It took me half a year to really enjoy the game. then heard of team echo and their scenarios, then took a closer look to the LARGE maps of Stalingrad and other places. Finally, even though their is NO campaign (which is a shame, because it's one of the only SB to not include one) it's still one heck of a fun game to play.

Now though ,it's been 6 month since i lent my SB AOTR copy to a friend. Each time he comes by, he always forgets to grab it and give it back to me.[:@] It was the only tactical game that I really enjoyed. I hope i'll play it again one day...
It's on the top of my favorite wargames along with HttR and KP...[8D]

I also recently bought the whole campaign series while waiting for Battlefields to come out. Anyone novices pbem?

I also own a couple of PzC games, but not the good ones. They also seem to suffer the same fate as most of my HPS games, namely, from the "I lent it to a friend who lives a little too far away" syndrome...

and for the non-ww2 : Tacops v4 period.
Ainsi dans le courage et ainsi dans la peur, ainsi dans la misère et ainsi dans l'horreur.

"first you need a tear, just a tear of gin......and then a river of tonic"
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Wodin, can you provide a link to screen shots?

When Squad Battles came out it looked like a board game of the 1980's. So I never bothered with it.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: bartholimew

hmmm. 2 mentions for squad battles. My local EB has a copy, strange tho since HPS are usually not in commercial retail stores. Thx for the suggestions. They got a Korsun and a HTTR, between the two if I had to chose one......[&:]

HTTR. KP is good, HTTR is wargaming genius.

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

When Squad Battles came out it looked like a board game of the 1980's. So I never bothered with it.

They still do, but in an odd way that's almost the point. Wodin is right on the 3D, it's pretty pointless. I'm a fan of the series too, and would certainly recommend them. I prefer the `Nam games to the WW2 ones.... helicopters are implemented very well.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I found a screen shot here:

http://www.strategypage.com/strategypag ... _korea.asp

To me, the game looks and feels like a 1977 board game. In the screen shot above, there is a counter to represent a crater. Surely, with computers, we don’t need to place counters!

And see the next screenie:

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/advance ... _large.jpg

Does each counter represent 1 man or 1 squad?

Why does the AT gun face AWAY from the enemy?

What is the counter representing a rifle ??
riverbravo

Post by riverbravo »

ORIGINAL: Belisarius

On the light entertainment side, I'm actually looking forward to Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War.

Yes, RTS it is, but with much less of that annoying resource gathering stuff. Your base size and control of territory is what helps you get reinforcements (from orbital ships to your base)

Link link link....please!!

I have been waiting for a RTS 40k game since I first got my hands on the TT version!!

F#$^king-A,vookoodinkydau!!...numba-1 numba-1...starcraft...numba-10---WH numba -1

I always wished someone would have made a CC mod into WH40k.

Woot!!!

I heard somthing about a demo...is it out?!!
I laugh at hurricanes!
Kevinugly

Post by Kevinugly »

ORIGINAL: riverbravo
ORIGINAL: Belisarius

Link link link....please!!

I have been waiting for a RTS 40k game since I first got my hands on the TT version!!

F#$^king-A,vookoodinkydau!!...numba-1 numba-1...starcraft...numba-10---WH numba -1

I always wished someone would have made a CC mod into WH40k.

Woot!!!

I heard somthing about a demo...is it out?!!

Could someone please translate into a language I might recognise...... like English[:D][:D]
Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Joe,

Dont judge a book by its cover, as your really missing out big time if you like sqaud based tactical games. Besides it looks better in the flesh so to speak. With the sound mods it sounds superb. This game has LOADS of atmosphere, real edge of your seat stuff.

The best place to go is to the Team Echo site and download the grunt school article.

I find the graphics give this game a real charater. Do NOT be put off by them. If you are then you are going to miss out on one superb game.

The new graphic mods arent a full overhall of the game but my fav are the counter backgrounds. You need to remember that each hex is 40 square metres. This is very important for you to get to grips with the whole system. Also officers are of the prime importance in this game. If one gets sniped the relevant platton is in big trouble.

TEAM ECHO LINK

Their is a review on AoTR and Vietnam on the wargamer site. Also check the forum over at Blitz.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Warhammer Demo is out and somewhat amusing. Pure RTS with all the trimmings.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

I will allow another member to list the non WW2 listings.

In this list (besides Tacops 4 mentioned above) i will give honarable mentions to:

Korea 85
North German Plain 85
Fulda Gap 85

all from HPS' Modern Campaigns series

Return to “General Discussion”