Need help with MC SE battle

Discuss likes and dislikes, get help and talk about MC tactics, AAR's, etc

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

S-type

Need help with MC SE battle

Post by S-type »

I recently started playing Screaming Eagles, and choose the 327 glider regiment. The battle I need help with is a mission to get some British supply units thru a map.

I am advised to move up a road with my engineers in front to clear the road.

I have played this battle 4 times and gotten a draw, but I have no idea how to improve on that. The battle is supposed to last 15 turns, but ends after 8, and in that time I find it impossible to fight my way thru the german forces and keep all the supply units alive at the same time.

Has anyone achived a win in this battle, and if so, what tactic did you use?
plloyd

RE: Need help with MC SE battle

Post by plloyd »

Did you find the 25lbrs? They are very handy for quick fire support. Move them up and unload,then leap frog them forward to avoid some of the counter battery fire. Use you air support to kill the STGs that come from the NW. The biggest thing to keep in mind is getting to the exit hex at the end of the road.

Pile everything you can into that hex, every turn that you can. That means taking out, or smoking, that 88 behind the woods. Don't unload anything in the exit hex until after everything which can move has gotten there. Unload just before you end the turn, use the HQ screen to avoid mistakes.

You will get most of you points when your units exit the map. Loaded units do not give you any points. Again unload the transport in the exit hex just before you end the turn. This will give you another 2500 to 3000 points, depending on time and casualties.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.
Voriax

Post by Voriax »

Loaded unit _should_ give points, at least they used to. The loaded unit does not show in the point list when exiting but the carrier unit's point value is increased.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
S-type

Post by S-type »

Thx, I will try that. [:)]
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

I can't get past t8.

My lightnings are unable to hit the stugs and my tanks can't hit anything. In fact my infantry aren't worth much either.
If I increase the ratings in preferences, it helps but the game always ends in a draw by turn 8.

Seems to me that as soon as I take the first flag the game is due to end next turn.
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
Major Destruction

Regardless what I do the game always ends on turn 8

I've played this scenario at least 8 times today, whether I am careful or reckless, whether I use my 25pdrs for indirect or direct fire and whether or not my tanks actually score any kills, I can't get past turn 8.

In the last play through, my lighning managed to score a hit on the armoured car but the 5 inch rocket bounced off. I got one vehicle to the exit hex but the game ended on turn 8.
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
S-type

Post by S-type »

I can't get past t8 either. Just for experimental purposes, I set all my preferences to max and all german to min. The game still ended after t8, although this time I had killed off all ger units and got a few of the trucks to the exit hex.

Guess it's some kind of bug that exits it at t8. Guess I will have to settle for the draw and move on to Bastogne. [:)]
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

I just played the battle, and got a decisive victory....11000 points against 2000+ German points. I've attached the final score. The trick, as Major says, is having those 25 Pdr guns unloaded and in use. I lost one but was able to save the other and get it off the map.

I had one Sherman immobilized. You have to make the Germans expose themselves. My immobilized Sherman took out both Stugs in a very neat ambush. The 88 was routed by my P-38. The other guns were taken out by 25pdr fire and infantry attacks.

My final score is attached. I was able to play through the end of turn nine and got nearly every unit off the map. More pictures following...

Attachments
Helping th..al Score.jpg
Helping th..al Score.jpg (37.37 KiB) Viewed 181 times
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Here is turn 8

Attachments
Helping th..ies - T8.jpg
Helping th..ies - T8.jpg (118.23 KiB) Viewed 181 times
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

And turn 9...WB

Attachments
Helping th..ies - T9.jpg
Helping th..ies - T9.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 181 times
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Oh, I did not modify any preferences for this one. Played as is...WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
S-type

Post by S-type »

I'm impressed [&o]

I am still a novice to this game, and realize I have a long way to go.

It's great fun and hugely addictive. Thz for the game and for your answer. [:)]
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Not at all. Its part of the fun, S-Type! Just hang in there. YOu are gaining experience for those future battles. I had trouble with this one too. It is NOT an easy scenario.

If it is any comfort, very few are able to get above a draw. I will say, however, that we attempted to make all scenarios winnable, even though it is very hard to do in some of them.

Hang in there, my gaming friend....Wild Bill
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, If at the start of the scenario you look to the bottom right hand corner and see designed by Mogami you can relax. I knew all the other designers were going to try to kill you so I made all my scenarios really really easy. In a few the Germans kill themselves while you take a nap. Your Chain of Command is a bunch of real gung ho SOB's who are out to kill you. Thank goodness I was there to protect you. Just look for Mogami in the lower corner and you know you are going to gain a lot of free experiance that will make it harder for the other battles to kill you. Good luck and don't forget to duck.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Major Destruction

Wild Bill, did you play this scenario as a continuation of the mega campaign or as a stand-alone scenario.

I have played it both ways. As a stand-alone scenario the battle is winnable but in the MC the scenario ends on turn 8.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
S-type

Post by S-type »

Just look for Mogami in the lower corner and you know you are going to gain a lot of free experiance

That's a comfort to know. I will be sure to look for them! [:)]
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

I played it separately, Stuart. I think I have already played it a couple of times through my various testings of the MC-SE. I'll go through the 327th again since it is the shortest of the four threads and see how I do. I'll let you know.

Yes, Mogami does produce winnable scenarios. In fact, this was something I insisted upon to all testers, though Mogami needed no encouragement. His scenarios are good. If you are not careful, however, you can screw up...and lose [8|]

Very few scenarios in this Mega Campaign can be classified as "easy," at least for the majority of the players. Of course, "easy" is a relative term after all.

Wild Bill
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, I don't recall all the names of the scenarios I did but I think a few of them were

"Where Eagles Die"
"Scream Eagle Scream"
"Last stand of the Eagles"
"Roast Eagle Salad"
"Endangered Species"
"Where have all the Eagles Gone?"
"Ticket to Arlington"
"Yike!"

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Return to “Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW”