Head shot and engine blast survival

Welcome to the new war raging across hundreds of light years at once, with mechanized Titans as the main fighting force.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

ShadowRaven

Head shot and engine blast survival

Post by ShadowRaven »

I was playing a random 1v1 battle to test my new EM/flamer titan. I wasn't expecting much as I have little experince making then but always frustrated at the lack of many weapons, it turns out it was quite a pitiful battle.

An AC20 to the head ripped it off and I instantly knew the randomized Hero jock I had been using was dead. Nope, he just took 143 damage. I was very confused on how he survived. Too bad the titan fell over and killed the lucky guy through shock damage.

Is this just a very rare occurance or can it happen often enough to move the life support to a different place so survivors don't die of shock?

EDIT -- I've just survived 2 engine explosions aswell, 1 in testing and another when just messing about with engine blast chains. It seems that if the cockpit is destroyed, no more damage can be dealt to the jock as he/she should be dead. Not even 7 explosions and 700+ temp can harm once the cockpits gone... I'm thinking bug, or Constitution has just got a LOT better IMO.
LarkinVB

RE: Head shot and engine blast survival

Post by LarkinVB »

If the cockpit is destroyed and the jock is still alive he is considered safe same as if ejected.
Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 »

Okay. I just experienced this myself.

My Swashbuckler took one too many GME hits to the center torso and its engine exploded. My jock survived. with one hit point left.

The jock that was attacking him was killed by the radiation.

O_O;;
-Coyote
aquietfrog

Post by aquietfrog »

That's a normal occurence, isn't it? Jocks with high constitution stand a chance at surviving those situations.
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

But i thougt, they would only survive, if they eject before the head is ripped off!? I know, that jocks can survive an engine explosion (i wonder, how that could be possible in reality ), but when the cockpit is destroyed, the Jock should be dead, no matter what's his level of constitution or his life support, or his surviving skills.

All i can say is: ripping off heads with the chainsaw rules!
"Der Tiger sucht seine Beute"
Reliable Royce

Post by Reliable Royce »

ORIGINAL: Black Knight
but when the cockpit is destroyed, the Jock should be dead, no matter what's his level of constitution or his life support, or his surviving skills.

I always figured that "destroyed" just means "not useable" for example: If I clear all the armor and internal structure points from one section, its dammaged to the point where it is unusable. That doesn't mean that I really removed every peice of metal from that location.

So to me it makes sense that when the cockpit is destroyed the Jock can still crawl out of the wreckage.

Royce
Data corruption is unrecoverable encryption.
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

The manual speaks another language ...
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

I agree with there being a very small chance the jock will survive when the head is ripped off by damage. I just don't agree that a jock can survive an engine explosion. It's a fusion reactor exploding after all...
Iceman
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

But it is possible (in the game) and is happening sometimes. Maybe the Cockpit is like a black box of an airplane, very resistent to damage.
Reliable Royce

Post by Reliable Royce »

But it is possible (in the game) and is happening sometimes. Maybe the Cockpit is like a black box of an airplane, very resistent to damage.

Maybe the engine is designed in such a way that the force of the explosion is directed out the front and back and not up through the head...

Royce
Reliable Royce

Post by Reliable Royce »

The manual speaks another language ...

I agree...

Of course the game designer and technical writer could also have interpreted the same game events differently. [:)]

Royce
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

ORIGINAL: Reliable Royce
Maybe the engine is designed in such a way that the force of the explosion is directed out the front and back and not up through the head...

When the engine explodes, the titan is completely annihilated. Check the armor diagram. Everything is vaporized. It is removed from the squad's roster. A nuclear explosion is a tough thing to direct anywhere [:)]
Iceman
Reliable Royce

Post by Reliable Royce »

ORIGINAL: Thorgrim
When the engine explodes, the titan is completely annihilated. Check the armor diagram. Everything is vaporized. It is removed from the squad's roster. A nuclear explosion is a tough thing to direct anywhere [:)]

Hmmm... I agree. No pilot could survive that. He/she would at least die of radiation poisioning.

OK, going off on a tangent here... If we have Cold Light Guns, Black Ray Guns, would't we also have cold fusion reactors instead of fission? [:D]

The Engine might be more expensive, same size, but doesn't blow up when heavily dammaged... Thus, people who can afford it buy an extra level of safety for their jocks...

Royce
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Wait a minute ... the engines in the game are fusion reactors? Then it's all illogical, because fusion reactors can't explode. If some parts of the FR get damaged (like the magnetic field projector), the fusion simply stops, because it can't go on under the circumstances (like air pressure, temperature, e.g...) that are on earth (i know, lousy english, but i'm not a native speaker). So, there couldn't be an explosion, like of a nuclear reactor.

However, it's not really important, and the game is great, no matter if nuclear, or fusion reactor. [;)]
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

It MAY explode, it's not a given that it will. The jock and the DCS, if present, can avoid it too.
Iceman
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

And it all depends on the containment and trigger systems. If fission reactor is needed to start the fusion reaction, or the containment system uses some exotic chemical like Uranium Hexafluoride, you can get a nice big boom even with a fusion reactor.
Reliable Royce

Post by Reliable Royce »

ORIGINAL: Burzmali
And it all depends on the containment and trigger systems. If fission reactor is needed to start the fusion reaction, or the containment system uses some exotic chemical like Uranium Hexafluoride, you can get a nice big boom even with a fusion reactor.

Why can't we have enviromentally friendly engines that just run on electricty?

Royce (Ducks behind cover)
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

These engines are supposed to CREATE electricity to run all the systems [;)]
Iceman
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

AND they are only using hydrogen, which is merged into helium, which is completely harmless, as we all know. However, if the hydrogen tanks get damaged, it would be very probable, that the hydrogen explodes and that would result in a nice explosion too. However, in any case, it wouldn't be half as powerful as the explosion in the game, though.
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

Let's just say that 100-million degree plasma being released would do "some" damage. [:'(]
Iceman

Return to “Titans of Steel - Warring Suns”