Help to start

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

bostonrpgmania

Help to start

Post by bostonrpgmania »

I got this game a while ago when my (newly developed) interest in wargaming begun without knowing that this is grogonard level game.
I am still not an expert war gamer but I am inclined to learn abut the game again.
I know some already suggested that playing PBEM would be the best but I need to start from the SCRATCH.
All the information provided in the game overwhelms me and as some agree, manual isnt the best thing to start with
Can somebody please recommend good tutorial scenarios or good strategy guide or whatever to help newb start without feeling overwhelmed?
crsutton

RE: Help to start

Post by crsutton »

Hi,

Welcome to the club. You can do searches for old strings in this forum to find many of the answers to your questions. Unfortunatey, there are no good tutorials and the manual is helpful but leaves a lot of the detail out. Don't be shy about asking here as well.

You can also visits Spooky' web site where there are some aids to help you there.

First and foremost, if you have not done so, do some reading on the subject. I really found that my historical knowledge of the South Pacific Campaign helped in my game play. That is, when in doubt, do what they historically did and you can not get into too much trouble. Start with "Guadacanal" by Richard Frank, then go on to books that cover a broader scope and material that cover the naval and carrier operations during the first two years of the war.

If you want to play a small scenario, for practice and hints, just let me know and I can run you through one.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

Thank you for your advice
Could you recommend some other books? I am now going to amazon.ca to find the book that you mentioned
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

hmm unfortunately I coundnt find the one that you recommened in amazon.ca and even in amazon.com.
Clipper1968

Post by Clipper1968 »

It is available in amazon.fr if you are interesting.
"s'instruire pour vaincre"
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

@crustton

Which will be the best scenario (short one is better) for beginner?
marky

Post by marky »

i reccomend the coral sea scenario

thats the first 1 i played and i did pretty good

at least i think i did lol

the AAR is in the AAR section if u want to read it

if i were u, and i was a couple weeks ago LOL

id play thru them, goiing from 1-2-3 and play around

thats wat i did[:D]
Blitzer

Post by Blitzer »

Marky's right. Coral Sea is best to start with. Eastern Solomons is also fun, but a bit more involved.

The way I started the game was to tear through the manual and plunge into Coral Sea with the expectation of making many fatal mistakes. I was not disappointed. Don't be afraid to falter in the beginning. You'll quickly realize what works and what doesn't.

At a more advanced level you will realize that there is no perfect game and mistakes are always a part of your play, even (or maybe especially) against humans.

crsutton's advice should be heeded. Search out old threads about tactics and strategy. Frank's book is the best on the topic by far, and in my opinion one of the best military histories written on any topic, ever. Morison is the classic and still outstanding. Eric Bergerud's Touched by Fire and Fire in the Sky are also worthy reads, though more loosely written than either Frank or Morison.

In any case, good luck and welcome to our 12-step recovery program. [:)]
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

Thanks guys Very helpful
I will play around with coral sea scen.
By the way what is 12step thing?
AmiralLaurent

Post by AmiralLaurent »

Pay the Coral Sea scen and concentrate on the sea and air battles. PLay both sides for better experience.

Then play the Guadalcanal short scenario for having some experience in handling ground battles and logistics.

And then pick another scenario to plan you own invasion (in the Guadalcanal scen, all TF are ready and sailing for the Solomons at the start).

Then try the big scenario and then try a PBEM.
Blitzer

Post by Blitzer »

Hi bostonrpgmania,

12-step programs are designed to help people recover from various addictions - alcohol, drugs, gambling, sex etc.

UV has definitely occupied a lot of my time and thought, but I was exaggerating a bit (I think [;)]).
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Get Bergerud's "Touched by Fire" as well. It covers the land campaign and is excellent reading.

Three books by Eric Hammel. "Guadalcanal, Starvation Island" and "Carrier Clash, The Invasion of Guadacanal and The battle of the Eastern Solomons", and Guadalcanal, Decision at Sea"

The later book is about the first and second battles of Guadacanal, and covers the two night surface actions as best as anything I have ever read. Really makes your hair stand on end. I can't think of anything more horrible than to be on a burning sinking ship in shark infested waters.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”