Can't get game to run...

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

cesteman

Can't get game to run...

Post by cesteman »

Greetings...
I am trying to get the game to run with a new install. The game installed fine but when I click on the SPWAW icon the main menu comes up but that's all. I click on the run game and nothing happens!!! Ideas? Thanks. I am running this on a notebook HP 2.8 ghz.
Christian
rrockw

RE: Can't get game to run...

Post by rrockw »

I would suggest clicking on the mech.exe file in the Matrix Games/Steel Panthers World at War main directory. That worked for me on my laptop.

Rich
cesteman

Post by cesteman »

hmmm... Interesting. I will give that a try but I would like to point out that going to the start menu, clicking on start and then going to SPWAW and clicking on quick start works for me now. I just find it strange that I could use the SPWAW icon provided on my desktop last time and now that I reinstalled the game it doesn't work. Strange! Thanks for the input.
Chrisitan
PanzerLehr

Post by PanzerLehr »

I have same problem with a similar computer, though in my case nothing seems to work :(
Sherbert

Post by Sherbert »

Hello, I am new to the forums, and trying to get my game to work. I tried the above advice but it didn't work.

I've looked at a few other threads, and have tried those suggestions as well. I tried changing the end path of my shortcut straight to "mech.exe", as well as trying to access quick start through the Start Menu, and neither of those worked either.

I recently re-formatted my computer, and previous to the re-format, the game worked fine. I can't think of anything that I am missing, but I just can't get the game to work.

Any suggestions, that any of you could give, would really be appreciated. I love this game and really want to play again.

Thanks.
KNomad

Post by KNomad »

Other than starting from the quick start option ..

When I load the main screen, after I click play, I'd get a blank screen.
Double clicking on the blank screen moves into the menu choices.

I suspect some sort of directx error.
The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Many of us have the same difficulty. The use of Mech.exe resolves this in nearly every case.

Do the following, guys.

1. Check the path in your shortcut to start the game.

Even better, make your own shortcut. You can do that by right clicking on your desktop, choosing new, then Shortcut.

Hit the Browse button and look till you find the SPWAW directory and the mech.exe in the file list. Make it the command line.

Once you've completed the shortcut, an icon to start the game should appear on your desktop. Try it and see if it works.

2. The other thing is to go into the save directory of your SPWAW folder, delete the steel.prf file and then try starting it again.

In 98% of this type of problem, one of these two remedies will get the game going for you.

Wild Bill
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”