Matrix- someone is ripping you off

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

watchtower

Matrix- someone is ripping you off

Post by watchtower »

Hi - just done a search on ebay uk looking for books on the pacific war and someone is offering WITP for £4.99 definately a pirate by the looks of it - seller is in china. You might want to get ebay to squash it!!

rogueusmc

RE: Matrix- someone is ripping you off

Post by rogueusmc »

a couple have been reported.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Sultanofsham

Post by Sultanofsham »

ORIGINAL: watchtower

Hi - just done a search on ebay uk looking for books on the pacific war and someone is offering WITP for £4.99 definately a pirate by the looks of it - seller is in china. You might want to get ebay to squash it!!

Hes selling 4 copies of it. Not to bright.
Sci-fi channel SUCKS.

One of the true tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency.
-- Arnold H. Glasow
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

Cheeky begger has put a link to The WITP page as well!!!

DrewMatrix

Post by DrewMatrix »

Hopefully the perpetrator lives in a country with good copyright laws and really awful jails [:D]
Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.
Sultanofsham

Post by Sultanofsham »

Got to love this too:

GAME Pack with CD Sleeve - this is not the regular GAME hard casing (Amaray Case)
Original GAME Hard Casing (Amaray Case) is replacing by GAME soft Sleeve is because:
1. This Packaging Better Protects the GAME from Scratches.
2. Easy to store your GAME s and Save a lot's of space.
3. Off course, it helps us save on some Cost FOR POSTAGE

[8|] This guy need a beating.
Sci-fi channel SUCKS.

One of the true tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency.
-- Arnold H. Glasow
neuromancer

Post by neuromancer »

They said China. Which means there is ZERO that can be done to the seller personally.

Of course if the Chinese government decides the game is 'politically incorrect', he could be arrested and shot for spreading of seditious materials.

I wonder where they print the CDs for this game (like the one I got that had my name on it, but not the name of the game). Often that is where the piracy starts, copies stollen straight from the factory. Possibly the original ISOs so they can just burn their own CDs at home!
DrewMatrix

Post by DrewMatrix »

Heck, if it's from China it may BE the Chinese government.

Can't 2x3 do something to stop Ebay from trafficking in pirated copies, though?
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

It's a definate no -no to sell pirate copies of anything on ebay - the sellers rating is zero as well so the whole thing is bogus. If anyone is fool enough to go for it, I bet they will see zip apart from a hole in their paypal account and a negative feedback after.

Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

It's a definate no -no to sell pirate copies of anything on ebay - the sellers rating is zero as well so the whole thing is bogus. If anyone is fool enough to go for it, I bet they will see zip apart from a hole in their paypal account and a negative feedback after.

One day they will make this stuff a criminal act instead of a civil court issue ... only way to ever cure it for good ... pirate and go to jail.
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

Have just reported the offending listings to ebay: it's a little gang of em selling pirate DVD's, games etc. looking at the feedbacks a lot of people have got ripped off by these guy's. Suprised ebay hasn't squashed em already. I hate Pirates - apart from the type that say "Avast, me hearties!" - Hang 'em from the yardarm

DrewMatrix

Post by DrewMatrix »

IIRC the traditional punishment for piracy is to be "hung between the tides" ie you hang the person on the mudflats. I think you tar his body and put a metal cage around it (so it doesn't fall apart too quick). Then you just leave the body there, sometimes in the water and at low tide out of the water.

So ships coming and going can take a look at it.
tanjman

Post by tanjman »

Ah! Them were the good ole days matey when the ships were made of wood and the men had iron heads [;)]
ORIGINAL: Beezle

IIRC the traditional punishment for piracy is to be "hung between the tides" ie you hang the person on the mudflats. I think you tar his body and put a metal cage around it (so it doesn't fall apart too quick). Then you just leave the body there, sometimes in the water and at low tide out of the water.

So ships coming and going can take a look at it.
Gunner's Mate: A Boatswain's Mate with a hunting license.
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

This is the cop in me:

Step 1. Someone from Matrix should buy the CD he is selling. He probably got it via digital download and this has a serial # that can be traced.

Step 2. Block that serial # from being allowed to register/recieve patches.

Step 3. If the original serial # was downloaded by someone in a country with copyright laws have the authorities go speak to him and find out how pirated copies of HIS copy got made.

I deal with E-Bay fraud all the time. If it is within the USA it is pretty easy to file charges. A little detective work will identify your suspect and a good forensic analysis of the hard drive makes the cases air tight in court and often uncovers other crimes. Plus we get to seize their computer equipment because it was used in the commission of a crime.

Best thing you can do to these people is call the Postal Inspector's Service. If it goes through the mail it is a federal crime.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

Just looked at the listing and it claims to be in the UK. Any Brits want to pay him a visit?
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Just looked at the listing and it claims to be in the UK. Any Brits want to pay him a visit?
There ya go...let him have a 'bobby' up side the head....They can't pistol whip him...[:D]
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

This is the cop in me:

Step 1. Someone from Matrix should buy the CD he is selling. He probably got it via digital download and this has a serial # that can be traced.

Step 3. If the original serial # was downloaded by someone in a country with copyright laws have the authorities go speak to him and find out how pirated copies of HIS copy got made.

I deal with E-Bay fraud all the time. If it is within the USA it is pretty easy to file charges. A little detective work will identify your suspect and a good forensic analysis of the hard drive makes the cases air tight in court and often uncovers other crimes. Plus we get to seize their computer equipment because it was used in the commission of a crime.

Best thing you can do to these people is call the Postal Inspector's Service. If it goes through the mail it is a federal crime.
If you ask me, i think their might be a connection to the mysterious "back-up CD" disappearances from Digital River. How could SO many people have not gotten them, myself included ( Ordered July 2nd), they must have gone somewhere[8D].
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

This is the cop in me:

Only problem i see is what if the persons cracked the way the serial numbers work?

Then the serial number might be a legit number of a legal purchaser?

You would then be going avter someone who has had "identity thiefted"
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

We´re aware of the situation and reported to Ebay. We also contacted all bidders [;)]
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

One day they will make this stuff a criminal act instead of a civil court issue ... only way to ever cure it for good ... pirate and go to jail.

Yeah, lol you gonna go to Beijing or Volgograd to serve that warrant?

Anyway, no need to make this a federal case on our end. All that Matrix has to do is send a copy of the OOB for scen 15 to the People's Republic and once they take a look at the sorry-ass Communist forces in this game they will find the seller, charge him with Crimes Against The People, and take him out to a little room with a bloody hay bale in one corner.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”