Surface Combat TF's & Reaction phase

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

corona

Surface Combat TF's & Reaction phase

Post by corona »

It's Jan/42 and I've managed to slow the takeover of PI by making good use of a small Surface Combat TF (The Boise and Marblehead, with 4 assorted DD's, Houston en route to Sydney for major repair after being torpedoed) and have sunk/damaged an estimated 25 ships. I like to keep my TF parked northeast of Menado to intercept ships coming around the southern tip of Luzon or from Palau. I've noticed though that some turns, my search planes will discover enemy transport TF's closer than 6 hexes (Patrol/No Retire and Max React=6 settings for my TF) but my Surface forces don't engage the enemy ships. Any reason for this? The ammo level rarely is below 80% and they have plenty of fuel. What's the deal? Most of my sinkings have occured by entering hexes where the IJN is already unloading, rather than the open sea (which isn't as good because they've already unloaded Japanese combat forces and are landing mostly at bases in range of Japanese air cover).
2ndACR

RE: Surface Combat TF's & Reaction phase

Post by 2ndACR »

Because, unless the 2 TF's end their turn in the same hex no combat will occur. The reaction setting is to protect ONLY a friendly port from being attacked, not interception at sea.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

There's also no certainty of getting a reaction either. What you need to do other than spot the incoming/unloading TF I don't know but sometimes it just doesn't happen anyway.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

If you want to try this, no gaurenties lol
Guess where your enemy is headed, get there first, ships sett to no withdrawel surface tf should engage if reasonably good tf commander and supplies, bu do not forget this is a destination and afterwards reset it or the do not retire button, I sometimes split up fleets chasing down straglers to finish them off, but that too is dangerous... if the enemy has any offensive assets around..
hope that helps
"Tanks forward"
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

Kid had a slick maneuver back in beta testing. He had a SCTF within range of Japanese landings at two of his bases. He set one of the landings as the SCTFs DH, and the other landing as the home base. He got a nighttime surface combat at the DH, a nighttime surface combat at the home base, and a daytime surface combat at the home base. IIRC they all bugged out untouched the next turn. Very economical use of assets.
Fear the kitten!

Return to “The War Room”