Any New Patches in the works....

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Rendova

Any New Patches in the works....

Post by Rendova »

I have updated to version 1.21. I am going to start a new long campaign but I just wanted to check to see if there are any patched in the works right now? Just didn't want to have to restart next week.

Thanks
Mr.Frag

RE: Any New Patches in the works....

Post by Mr.Frag »

I have updated to version 1.21. I am going to start a new long campaign but I just wanted to check to see if there are any patched in the works right now? Just didn't want to have to restart next week.

There will likely be a couple of more patches as things get fixed ... we're testing the 1.22 fixes right now.

Key question: How much of the automation do you use? If you don't use any form of computer control in your PBEM on either side, there are no issues that will come bite you in the backside when you patch. Somewhere Pry has tossed up his latest scenario changes, if you go with them, they will have the bases fixed that are causing AI confusion which should get you past the need to restart (until something else gets spotted).

Why not just take turns playing the first month of the main scenario? Just as much fun and doesn't need the long term commitment should a patch cause you to want to restart and both players get to play both sides that way. If you agree to restart when a patch comes out, no one looses face as it was agreed before the game was started.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

I have a PBEM game where we did just that...this is a practice run and we will restart when we choose to...I don't know what the big deal is about restarting anyway.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Tenzan

Post by Tenzan »

we're testing the 1.22 fixes right now

Any chance of seeing an informal read-me?

or..more to the point..Is this one going to get AI TF creation?
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

I have a PBEM game where we did just that...this is a practice run and we will restart when we choose to...I don't know what the big deal is about restarting anyway.

Agreed, as long as you rotate sides so it's not all one guy beating up on the poor other guy, it's fun both ways.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Any chance of seeing an informal read-me?

Nope, just fixes to stuff, couple of minor rules adjusted ... this is not a public fix, just one of many internal ones.

You'll see it as 1.30 most likely after we got through multiple 1.2x versions.
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

[:D]Every time i restart i end up enjoying myself more than the previous game. Witp is the gift that keeps on giving[:)]. I just finished scenario #6(1.21) for the 4th time with a totally different strategy...what a slugfest...i've already gotten "my" moneys worth. Today i start the big "thang"...a day of infamy[&o].

Attachments
box2.gif
box2.gif (2.95 KiB) Viewed 98 times
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Every time i restart i end up enjoying myself more than the previous game.

Thats part of the fun, each and every time you restart, you are drawing from more experience of what didn't work well last time ... best way to get good at this game ... play Dec 41 100 times [:D]
DrewMatrix

Post by DrewMatrix »

best way to get good at this game ... play Dec 41 100 times

Actually that is the thing that bothers me the most about wargames. Wellington didn't practice defending his ridge in Belgium 53 times to see what worked best.

You not only get exactly one shot at the batle of Gettysburg, you don't even know as the skirmishing is building to a crescendo whether there really will be a battle near here in the next day or so.

(One reason I like tactical games with a random scenario generator)
Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.
ZOOMIE1980

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Every time i restart i end up enjoying myself more than the previous game.

Thats part of the fun, each and every time you restart, you are drawing from more experience of what didn't work well last time ... best way to get good at this game ... play Dec 41 100 times [:D]

Well, I'm now up 14 times....

Nimitz and MAC only had one shot, though....

And as to what bothers me most about large scope wargame, and what seemed to bother a lot of the betas during testing, was like with new builds in testing, new patches seem to always force restarts to get their benifits. At some point, if you want to play an entire campaign, you have to understand that you are going to have put off patching until done, or you will NEVER get a campaign finished.....
dkurtz39

Post by dkurtz39 »

ORIGINAL: Beezle
Actually that is the thing that bothers me the most about wargames. Wellington didn't practice defending his ridge in Belgium 53 times to see what worked best.

Perfectly valid point. But Wellington didn't have to get used to a user-interface. Part of that learning curve is just learning how it is the game operates and what you need to tell it to do in order to get it to do what you want it to do.

Mind you, Wellington couldn't count on his people always doing what he wanted them to do...an issue you see modeled in some board games, but very few computer games. I suspect because in wargames you roll the dice and know why they run off in another direction. In computer games, where we are shielded from the calculations, it happens and you never quite know why. So users feel frustrated and out of control. A traditional "playability vs.realism" conundrum.
DrewMatrix

Post by DrewMatrix »

But Wellington didn't have to get used to a user-interface.

Of course he did! [:)] He spent years learning (as a young officer in India mostly).
Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.
dkurtz39

Post by dkurtz39 »

ORIGINAL: Beezle
Of course he did! [:)] He spent years learning (as a young officer in India mostly).

Need to implement a pre-game version of WitP where the user goes to the Naval Academy, commands a destroyer during peace time, etc. [;)]
FirstPappy

Post by FirstPappy »

Witp is the gift that keeps on giving

Maybe Matrix can get Randy Quaid to do a commercial during the Xmas season...
Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1080 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”