Sighting reports

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Ozie

Sighting reports

Post by Ozie »

Two days ago I installed UV after a long time not playing. As I was playing as Japanese I noticed I got coast watcher reports. And then I tried Allies and I get Japanese sighting reports. Why is this? Why do I get enemy reports?
Clipper1968

RE: Sighting reports

Post by Clipper1968 »

These reports are just displayed to inform you that your TF has been detected by the enemy so you can take appropriate measures on the next turn to avoid a devastating air attack from bombers based in Rabaul if you play as Allied.
That is why you get allied coastwatcher reports as IJN and japanese sighting reports as allied.
"s'instruire pour vaincre"
Ozie

Post by Ozie »

ORIGINAL: Pumba1968

These reports are just displayed to inform you that your TF has been detected by the enemy so you can take appropriate measures on the next turn to avoid a devastating air attack from bombers based in Rabaul if you play as Allied.
That is why you get allied coastwatcher reports as IJN and japanese sighting reports as allied.

I understand this when it comes to recon airplanes because usually ships see them too but coast watchers? How the heck do the Japanese get the same info as the allies?
Clipper1968

Post by Clipper1968 »

Hmmm...good question...seems quite unrealistic...[&:]Those Japs have an eagleeye or a crystal ball...[:D]
"s'instruire pour vaincre"
neuromancer

Post by neuromancer »

Maybe, and this is only a guess, the Coast Watchers sent their reports 'in the clear'? And so the Japanese could pick up the radio transmissions as well. And even if sent in code, the IJN would know that it meant someone saw some of them?

In actual fact, I think it is simply that there is only one between turn combat replay, not one for the Japanese player, and one for the Allied, but there may be an 'in game' reason for this as well.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, coastwatchers constanly had to be on the alert and moved quite frequently as the Japanese were able to intercept their radio broadcasts. I know it is a game abstraction but just consider it part of this ability to intercept radio trafic.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”