History Channel Monday 9pm EST

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

SunDevil_MatrixForum

History Channel Monday 9pm EST

Post by SunDevil_MatrixForum »

This show will search for and analyze the the sunken japanese subs in the attack on Pearl Harbor. Looks like a good show. FYI
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.
rogueusmc

RE: History Channel Monday 9pm EST

Post by rogueusmc »

There is always something worth watching on the HistoryChannel...even if it is nazis half the time.

Discovery Wings has good stuff on it too.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

olivier_slith

Post by olivier_slith »

To follow up on a comment I made on another thread, there's some kind of morbid fascination on Axis figures... and the History Channel is doing nothing to prevent it. Au contraire, it seems to raise their ratings so they put more of it...
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

I'd have to agree with you there.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

MengCiao

Post by MengCiao »

I've played war games for 35 years so I'm very tired of the Jerries.

And around my house, the History Channel is generally referred to as
"the Nazi channel"...........
The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.
SunDevil_MatrixForum

Ouch, well okay, tonight on the Nazi channel they will be talking about Japanese subs and the attack on Pearl Harbor. [:D]
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.
MengCiao

Post by MengCiao »

Cool! That's a refreshing change!!!
Primal Fury

Post by Primal Fury »

...But, of course, those midget subs were inspired by a nazi design...[;)]
UncleBuck

Post by UncleBuck »

We refer to the History Channel as teh Hitler Channel. All Hitler All teh Time. It got this name after an entire weekend a year ago with Nothing but Hitler. I still watch teh channel all the time but, yeah it is the Hitler channel not History Channel.

UB
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

right now though they are presenting a facinating series called World War I in color. Its really nice seeing those majestic battleships and battlecruisers in pseudo color vs old grainy black and white.
DrewMatrix

Post by DrewMatrix »

seeing those majestic battleships and battlecruisers in pseudo color

(Seriously): Weren't the WWI ships all grey anyhow?
Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.
SunDevil_MatrixForum

Yep, on Saturday night, they had like 6 hours from 5-11 of WWI in color. Was actually quite good.
MengCiao

Post by MengCiao »

Well that's a shock. I quit watching the History channel after seeing
utterly impossible things such as a T26 burning in Minsk in 1944 according to the narrator (well he said it was 1944 but the film was obviously Nazi propaganda from 1941)....and the agony of the jap fleet at Wonggawonga (substitute appropriate location for generalized "agony") as illustrated by
the usual footage of the Lexington or Wasp on fire.

Oh the humanity...the poor japs...forced to use their enemy's ships and then to have them sunk by their own misguided stuff...agony.

I'll have to look at the History channel again some time.
SunDevil_MatrixForum

Yes, the visuals they show in some shows do not match what they are talking about. This bothers me sometimes, but I realize that I should listen more to what they say and understand that sometimes they do not have something that exactly fits their narration and so they need something to symbolism the discussion. But I can understand where you are coming from.
dtravel

Post by dtravel »

Too many people today are already forgetting the importance of WWII. While the History Channel may over-cover it a bit [:)] at least they are attempting to put something about it in front of the faces of the next generation. <Shudders at the thought of even more people thinking the Holocaust was nothing but propaganda.>
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

riverbravo

Post by riverbravo »

ORIGINAL: MengCiao

I've played war games for 35 years so I'm very tired of the Jerries.

yea,its good to get out of the ETO.
I laugh at hurricanes!
MengCiao

Post by MengCiao »

I guess my real gripe with the history channel is that it puts itself forward as anything other than vacuously sensationalistic when 90% of what it shows can be summarized as "Here's a simplistic, misleading narrative along with some totally misleading images...gosh isn't it great we're finally telling everyone something confusing and incorrect about something that we ought to explain properly?"

History is a very difficult topic and a channel supposedly devoted to it
ought to try to do a better job of explaining things.

Occasionally there are very good things on the HC, but this just shows that they choose to have weird crap most of the time for some reason.
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

The best flaw is that any documentary on Pearl Harbor has a clip of Dauntlesses with Japenese marking diving to attack. This was from a US propaganda film made after the attacks for the news reels. Easy to tell since Vals had fixed landing gear.

I am a History Channel addict though. If it wasn't for them I would know nothing about Korea since we do not cover it in school.

The shows can be cheesy and the stock footage is often wrong (Tigers at Dunkirk ect.) but it is still entertaining. It is no worse than Victory at Sea or The World at War we used to get on PBS.

I also get History Channel International and flip between the two, much to my wife's dismay. Who wants to watch "Changing Spaces" or anything on the Lifetime network anyway?
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

My friends and I have a game. Every time we are watching the Hitler Channel, the first person to yell out "Burning Jeep!" scores a point.

You are allowed to yell out "Burning Jeep!" any time the footage shown does not match the narration. You are not allowed to yell for an esoteric point, like for example, if you know the command version of PzKpfw 38(d) sports a bigger antenna, but they're plainly showing one that's too small.

But...anything major is fair for Burning Jeep! Most of our points are scored on out-of-theater clips. Like they were doing the Italian Campaign, and showing some Normandy footage. Or showing Marines landing on a beach in Europe, or a Stuka peeling off to bomb an American convoy in the Philippines.

The great thing about Burning Jeep! is that no matter how much in the hole you get point-wise, you can instantly win due to the sudden death rule. That's when you actually spot the footage of the burning jeep. You know the one I'm talking about. It's a quick shot of an american soldier driving madly while the back of his jeep is on fire. Sometimes he drives the jeep from right to left and sometimes from left to right, depending on how they mount the film I guess :) That shot is guaranteed to show up in any Hitler Channel show that features combat footage.
MengCiao

Post by MengCiao »

Lately I've watched a lot of home fixer-upper shows. I'd like to watch
some nice shows about important things being blown up in important ways
...but there's just not a lot of good footage of such things.

On the other hand, anything is better than lifetime or Oxygen. I'll watch T26s burn all day rather than see Farniloine have trouble with that darned Scooter guy who just keeps stealing her neighbors children and forcing them to dig for rare tortiseshell handbag clasps in Guatemala.

Okay...maybe that particular show about Farniloine wasn't so bad.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”