Matrix Games Releases Titans of Steel: Warring Suns v1.2 Patch

Welcome to the new war raging across hundreds of light years at once, with mechanized Titans as the main fighting force.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Update Includes New Campaigns, Fixes and Enhancements

Staten Island, NY, August 2nd, 2004 - Matrix Games and Vicious Byte (www.viciousbyte.de) are pleased to announce the release of the new version 1.2 update for the highly rated tactical turn based mech game Titans of Steel: Warring Suns. The 1.2 update includes 41 fixes, 57 additions and changes as well as three new semi-official campaigns from Glenn Shell and Michael Jureidini.

The Titans of Steel: Warring Suns universe is a future where the main fighting unit is the Titan Attack Tech, better know as the Titan-AT. Titan-ATs are generally humanoid in appearance, range from ten to fourteen meters in height and weigh as much as 200 tons. A Titan-AT can have an array of weapons including lasers, auto cannons, missile launchers and other specialty weapons and defensive systems.

The product of years of development by Vicious Byte, Titans of Steel: Warring Suns is the definitive strategy game for the mech genre.

Titans of Steel: Warring Suns allows you to design or reconfigure your own Titan-AT. There are 450 different Titan-AT types to start with, including 150 pre-designed Titan-ATs. Each Titan-AT has over 74 internal systems, electronics systems, 4 armor types, 20 chassis styles, 5 size classes (recon, light, medium, heavy, assault) and 29 weapon types ranging from conventional to exotic. Once you’ve settled on your perfect Titan-AT, you can share your design with other commanders.

The battle area has four map sizes ranging from small to huge. Interactive terrain features such as flammable dense forests or smashed ruins make the battle more dynamic. An auto-move feature allows you to concentrate on your weapon systems. Multiplayer support allows up to four players with thirty-two Titan-ATs to compete in Hot Seat, LAN or Internet games.

For more information, please visit the website at http://www.titansofsteel.com or check the main Matrix Games page at http://www.matrixgames.com.
LarkinVB

RE: Matrix Games Releases Titans of Steel: Warring Suns v1.2 Patch

Post by LarkinVB »

How do I install the patch ? Executing the file I get the error
"Couldn't create folder Matrix Games\Titans of Steel - Warring Suns"
Its also not available with True Update.

Any success story ?
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

I've installed it sucessfully, I haven't gotten a chance to run through a battle yet, but it did install and I was able to run the game. Now that you mention it, it never did ask me were the game was stored... It also invalidated my save games, just as a warning.
aquietfrog

Post by aquietfrog »

I've installed the patch successfully... and it works fine while playing. Note that i kept the zip file of the installer at the matrix games/titans of steel folder and installed from there.
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Burzmali

I've installed it sucessfully, I haven't gotten a chance to run through a battle yet, but it did install and I was able to run the game. Now that you mention it, it never did ask me were the game was stored... It also invalidated my save games, just as a warning.

It automatically finds the game folder. The readme states that save games are not compatible.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I still can't install the patch. So I decided to reinstall the game and try again. This time I can't deinstall completly as the font file Menu1.ttf in the gdata folder can't be deleted. Any suggestions why it is locked ?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

True Update told me that I already have the most up-to-date update installed. (I checked and it's 1.1.0)
Marc von Martial

ORIGINAL: Peter Why

True Update told me that I already have the most up-to-date update installed. (I checked and it's 1.1.0)

The patch is not available for True Update since we most probably get rid of it.

You have to download them manually from our downloads page.
Marc von Martial

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB

I still can't install the patch. So I decided to reinstall the game and try again. This time I can't deinstall completly as the font file Menu1.ttf in the gdata folder can't be deleted. Any suggestions why it is locked ?

I´m researching this. It is probably some sytem related stuff (the folder issue). Are you installing / unistalling from an admin account?
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I found the cause of the font file problem. It has an entry in the registry. After I removed the entry and rebooted I could delete the file. Nevertheless this shouldn't happen at all. I reinstalled v1.0 from CD and tried to apply the patch. Still no success. I have an admin account. The error message is

"Das folgende Verzeichnis konnte nicht erstell werden:
Matrix Games\Titans of Steel - Warring Suns"

Perhaps a language problem ? How does the patch installer detect the game folder ?
Damned, I can't install my own patch [8|]
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Sorry for sticking my nose in here but the 1.02 patch does say "US version only. UK version coming.". Does that make a difference in your case?
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Sorry for sticking my nose in here but the 1.02 patch does say "US version only. UK version coming.". Does that make a difference in your case?

No. I've installed the US version.
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

Have you got any other junk in your registry from prior installs? If ToS checks the registry for the install directory, that could be slipping it up.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Larkin,

Sorry to hear that you of all folks are having problem with the patch. I'm at WBC at the moment and unable to work on the patch, but I've asked Marc to help as he can. Is anyone else seeing the same problem Larkin is?

Have you tried just installing 1.0 and then uninstalling? Did it cause the same uninstall problem? What about 1.0 + 1.1 and uninstall? I'm just trying to trace which installation/patch causes that uninstall problem.

I tested the patch here on clean installs on both WinXP and Win98 before posting and it worked with no errors.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Herumutsu

Post by Herumutsu »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Is anyone else seeing the same problem Larkin is?

Yes, I am experiencing the same problem using WinXP with german language settings.
I attempted to install the patch right after a fresh install of the game, followed by installing the former patch. In all of my tries, the result was the same error-message LarkinVB reported earlier.

If you need any more relevant information from my side, I'll of course provide that to you.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Now that we have a verified problem some admin should move this to the support forum.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Ok, thanks for the verification. Dave and I will investigate and fix this when we return on Monday. We'll post an updated patch file to replace the current one. Larkin, please e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com and we'll coordinate on my return to make sure the new update works on non-English machines.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hi Guys

We are looking into this. Erik and myself are away until Tuesday.

David
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB

I found the cause of the font file problem. It has an entry in the registry. After I removed the entry and rebooted I could delete the file. Nevertheless this shouldn't happen at all.

Damned. Now that I removed the registry entry which was pointing to gdata/menu1.ttf I have no Courier New Standard at all in my system ! It seems that menu1.ttf replaced the default Courier New Standard font and removing was a bad move at all. Any hints how I can add the standard back to my Win XP ?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Pretty sure WinXP keeps track of system settings like that in a set of files that you can restore from. Can't think of the name of it off hand but will check when I get home tonight (East Coast US time) if nobody comes up with an answer sooner. If you look around the control panel area you might find it.

Edit - "System Restore" is what I'm thinking might work. WinXP Help or the Microsoft web site should have the details.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Return to “Titans of Steel - Warring Suns”