OMG Terrible night naval combat result...

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

pyaeen

OMG Terrible night naval combat result...

Post by pyaeen »

Just play tutourial as japan. Night naval combat at 14/jun/44 with US in Satawal island. My surface combat fleet contain below ships:

1. BB Yamato
2. BB Musushi
3. BB Nagato
4. 4 CA
5. 1 CL
6. 8 DD

They meet US total 26 group PT boats, each group contain 6 PTs. After one night battle....
1. BB Yamato... sunk
2. BB Musushi... sunk
3. BB Nagato... sunk
4. 4 CA... 3 sunk 1 damage (20 sys 27 flt)
5. 1 CL... sunk
6. 8 DD... 4 sunks 1 serious damage; remains 3 damage like CA one (2x sys 1x-2x flt)

battle report about US lost is:
1. total PT boat 35 sunks
2. total PT boat 17 heavy damage

I lost over near 10 time scores than US side.... PT boats is KING OF SEA?????? Anyone meet the same situation?
furious

RE: OMG Terrible night naval combat result...

Post by furious »

Nope, in my game all ships on both sides fire cork shells!
HMS Rodney: The world's most beautiful warship.
PimpInTheBox

Post by PimpInTheBox »

Nope haven't encountered this myself, but looking at the situation if you met a total of 26 6-ship pt groups just the overwhelming numbers would cause a result like that.
"Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!" - Captain Henry P. "Jim" Crowe (Guadalcanal, January 13, 1943)
Matt Erickson

Post by Matt Erickson »

ORIGINAL: pyaeen

Just play tutourial as japan. Night naval combat at 14/jun/44 with US in Satawal island. My surface combat fleet contain below ships:

1. BB Yamato
2. BB Musushi
3. BB Nagato
4. 4 CA
5. 1 CL
6. 8 DD

They meet US total 26 group PT boats, each group contain 6 PTs. After one night battle....
1. BB Yamato... sunk
2. BB Musushi... sunk
3. BB Nagato... sunk
5. 1 CL... sunk
6. 8 DD... 4 sunks 1 serious damage; remains 3 damage like CA one (2x sys 1x-2x flt)

I lost over near 10 time scores than US side.... PT boats is KING OF SEA?????? Anyone meet the same situation?

are you sure you were'nt watching,"in harms way" starring john wayne?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Pyaen,

1. BB Yamato
2. BB Musushi
3. BB Nagato
4. 4 CA
5. 1 CL
6. 8 DD

1. BB Yamato... sunk
2. BB Musushi... sunk
3. BB Nagato... sunk
5. 1 CL... sunk

If I understand correctly, you were attacked by 156 PT-Boats at night?!

Firstly, this is an extremely unusual case which does not portray any kind of historical situation that I'm aware of. Second, I'm still surprised they did as well as they did, but I don't know that we can draw conclusions that they are the kings of the sea from such an unusual match-up. I think 156 destroyers in groups of 6 would have done better, 156 light cruisers even better and just imagine 156 Battleships! [;)]

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
pyaeen

Post by pyaeen »

The results seems not very historicial realistic. I have checked the battle result and count the torpedo hit to BB.

1. Nagato got 5 torpedo hits and sunk
2. Yamato and Musashi all got 6 torpedo hits and sunk.

If compare how many torpedo and bomb hits Musashi went sunk in history, 6 hits should not sunk them. And I think PT gun fire will not do any potential damge to BB class here.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Pyaeen,
The results seems not very historicial realistic. I have checked the battle result and count the torpedo hit to BB.

1. Nagato got 5 torpedo hits and sunk
2. Yamato and Musashi all got 6 torpedo hits and sunk.

If compare how many torpedo and bomb hits Musashi went sunk in history, 6 hits should not sunk them. And I think PT gun fire will not do any potential damge to BB class here.

I agree, but the test itself is not historically realistic either. We any of those torpedo hits critical hits? I've seen the Yamato take a torpedo hit and hardly be damaged at all, but I think a lot depends on some random rolls based on the various ship stats. I would be extremely surprised if the PT guns were damaging the battleships, did you see that happening?

If a capital ship group had ever been attacked at night by anything close to 156 PT Boats in 26 groups, perhaps we'd have some comparison, but I don't recall anything similar happening.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
pyaeen

Post by pyaeen »

[/quote]

If I understand correctly, you were attacked by 156 PT-Boats at night?!

Firstly, this is an extremely unusual case which does not portray any kind of historical situation that I'm aware of. Second, I'm still surprised they did as well as they did, but I don't know that we can draw conclusions that they are the kings of the sea from such an unusual match-up. I think 156 destroyers in groups of 6 would have done better, 156 light cruisers even better and just imagine 156 Battleships! [;)]

Regards,

- Erik
[/quote]
- Erik

I know it is extremely case, I just try play tutorial scenario :) . In this scen I sent my surface and CV fleets to attack US base and support fleets, really duno it has 156 PT boats there.... But in future battles or PBEM if US side put many of his PT boat in a hex, seems nothing can stop them (cheap and strong).
hithere

Post by hithere »

Don,t get me wrong...i think that that would not have happened...but i believe that PT boats carried normal torps. I was reading through Combinedfleet.com, and several BB's, sank with 4 torp hits. the Kongo comes to mind. the is the only ref i have right now so if someone else has one by all means............once again...i am talking about acual torp hits....that that this would happen!!
Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"
furious

Post by furious »

Well let's see how 156 PT boats look after a couple of full airstrikes by a Japanese carrier task force
HMS Rodney: The world's most beautiful warship.
hithere

Post by hithere »

of course the MUSASHI took 19 areial torps, it all depends on were you are hit i guess
Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"
pyaeen

Post by pyaeen »

[:)] duno this data useful or not, 156 PT boats total made 39 torpedo hits. Hehe may be I try to use CV group to chase 156 PT boat in next scenario and see what happen [:D]
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

pt are very formidible.. its the new duraalloy imported from alien artifacts.. imperviuos to shells[:D] really now...
previous to this someone reported a similar action with only a few pt killing jap dd's with machine guns???? Daytime to boot!!!

ok.. so at least it was a night combat...

the movie should be " they where expedndable.. another classic propaganda film showing pts killing everythin in sight...
"Tanks forward"

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”