European Prices and VAT

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jcatarino

European Prices and VAT

Post by Jcatarino »

I am thinking about buying SP WAW General's Edition but I don't understand if the price (64,99€ in the European store) is the final price with VAT included or if the final price is 64,99€ + 17,5%.

If VAT is not included, then it would be cheaper to buy it from the U.S. $69,99 / 1,21 = 57,84€ + 17,5%

also in this thread http://www.matrixgames.com/default.asp? ... m%3D646358 someone sayd that got some errors with the fist download of v.8.20 and on another download from another site his problems were not there anymore. My question is if I buy a game (digital download) were do I download it from? From Matrix directly or from some afilliated site? And if I loose that download can I download it again in the future by giving them some sort of personal key or serial?

I thank in advance for any help
David Heath

RE: European Prices and VAT

Post by David Heath »

The SPWaW General Edition is only available from Matrix Games. The is a FREE public version of SPWaW General Edition that is the same except that you do not get all four Mega Campagins for free. You can buy any one of the Mega Campaigns and install it with the free version of SPWaW v8.20

David
Jcatarino

Post by Jcatarino »

Thank you for your answer David, but I already knew that (I downloaded 8.20 yesterday). I plan to purchase SP WAW GE because I don't have the MC.

My questions are:
1 Is VAT included in the European price 64,99€ or is the final price 64,99€+VAT
2 After I pay and download the game can I download it again in case I loose it (Hard disk fail for ex.)?
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

From my experience of buying both ways....

Anything with the ".99" is NET of VAT. It does say that VAT will be added, and it is. I've posted before suggesting that the headline price be the GROSS one and that the ".99" value be calculated on that basis. As you know, it is expected in the EU that (unless "you" are a business registered for VAT) what you see is what you pay.

It may or may not be cheaper from the US store (it depend on the rounding to the nearest "-5.99"), BUT VAT still gets added anyway. I assume that is done on the basis of the credit card address. I think this has been tested in Court and US firms selling online services (goods get taxed on entry and the consumer pays) to EU citizens are obliged to add VAT... this cropped up with the online-only subscription games, and in many cases VAT is now added in calculating the UKP or Euro rate. I suspect only those companies with significant Euro operations actually bother, though... for local US companies it's probably un-enforceable.
Didz

Post by Didz »

Its worth noting that when you buy products for physical delivery from the US every shark in the pond senses blood and begins to circle. Whether you get badly bitten tends to be a matter of luck.

I have purchased from the US and ended up paying 100% over the price in import duties, handling fee's and agents commissions. On other occassions I have had packages thrust through my letter box clearly marked 'Duty Payable' and never heard another thing.

The worst offenders are the 'so called' US frieght companies UPS and I think its Fedex. If possible avoid having anything shipped by them. Typically they will add a minimum handling charge of £10 regardless of the import duty payable which they normally try to pretend is part of the tax payable. Worst case was a charge of £15.97 on a £17.00 game where the duty payable was £2.97. If you don't pay they won't let you have the package which is basically demanding money with menances.

The best people to deliver are Royal Mail who 'providing they do deliver' rarely bother to knock on the door to collect a piddling £2.97. Best solution of all is not to order from the US unless the supplier is prepared to avoid US frieght companies.
Didz
Fortis balore et armis
Jcatarino

Post by Jcatarino »

I only intend to download (I can burn the CD at home) so no other fees will be charged... So if I have to add VAT to both the US and European prices the $5 increase in price is much less than the 21% that I gain with the exchange rate...

Return to “General Discussion”