Strange Japanese AI CV Moves

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: Tankerace

Black Cat

Strange Japanese AI CV Moves

Post by Black Cat »

Playing the US I have taken Lunga Base by late 1942 and mined the base and nearby entry hexs.

The Japanese have set up 3 large CV TF`s with CA`s and DD`s and these sit about 20 hexs NW of Lunga.

About every 10th turn, depending on my moving supply or troop TF`s toward lunga they come down about 7 hexs away and launch air strikes at my base, then during the Japanese Night Resolution phase and enter the base hex, do nothing. and then leave.

Looks like the AI thinks they are either Surface Combat TF`s or Toyko Express runs.

Of course they never hit the base hex mines.....my TF`s are set on withdraw so they always pull back when the Japs are coming South so there are none of my Ships in the hex..

This is starting to look really dumb, I wonder if anyone else has seen this stupid AI behavior with Version 2.30.
52nd Lowland

RE: Strange Japanese AI CV Moves

Post by 52nd Lowland »

Yep ive seen this over the past few days,they hit Lunga with an airstrike move to the Lunga hex and then steam away.Bizarre..
sabreman1966mcs

Post by sabreman1966mcs »

ORIGINAL: Black Cat

Playing the US I have taken Lunga Base by late 1942 and mined the base and nearby entry hexs.

The Japanese have set up 3 large CV TF`s with CA`s and DD`s and these sit about 20 hexs NW of Lunga.

About every 10th turn, depending on my moving supply or troop TF`s toward lunga they come down about 7 hexs away and launch air strikes at my base, then during the Japanese Night Resolution phase and enter the base hex, do nothing. and then leave.

Looks like the AI thinks they are either Surface Combat TF`s or Toyko Express runs.

Of course they never hit the base hex mines.....my TF`s are set on withdraw so they always pull back when the Japs are coming South so there are none of my Ships in the hex..

This is starting to look really dumb, I wonder if anyone else has seen this stupid AI behavior with Version 2.30.

Yes, I have experienced it as well with my base at Gilli gilli, the IJN TF sits between Woodlark and Gasmata, does a run in at night, does nothing and then pulls back, eventually I guess it runs short of fuel and heads off home. It's a nice way of disrupting any routine convoys heading for the base that are set to retire.
Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Black Cat

Post by Black Cat »

So Matrix, any hope of fixing this....??????[&:]

It looks silly to see 5 big CV`s in Lunga Harbor.
52nd Lowland

Post by 52nd Lowland »

ORIGINAL: Sabreman1966

Yes, I have experienced it as well with my base at Gilli gilli, the IJN TF sits between Woodlark and Gasmata, does a run in at night, does nothing and then pulls back, eventually I guess it runs short of fuel and heads off home. It's a nice way of disrupting any routine convoys heading for the base that are set to retire.
[/quote]

Yep they just seem to hang their interrupting the flow of supplies to Lunga and other bases.Must be part of their evil passive attack strategy....[&:]
Grumbling Grogn

Post by Grumbling Grogn »

I have seen in at Lunga as well. And I have seen it in several games with surface and air TFs. I just figured they were trying to disrupt my shipping. But, hell, the surface TFs should at least shell my grunts while they are there, right? And why risk carriers in a night run like that? Beats me, but with the other "help" the japs seem to get in this scen. I figure we are about even now. :-)

GG
The Grumbling Grognard
afspret

Post by afspret »

I was in Scen 17 playing the AI and same thing was happening to me. They never entered the Lunga Hex, they usually came down to about 6-7 hexes above, launch 3-4 days worth of air attacks and then move off. Now I have had surface forces come into the hex but they don't seem to do that much damage (maybe due to the mines I laid), they'd take out a few planes and do some minor damage to the airfields and port facilities, which was usually repaired by the next turn (guess is pays to have 2 CB and an EAB at Lunga). They have yet to mess with Tulagi, its not a heavily defended and is still building airfields and fortifications.
John E. McCallum
Le JC

Post by Le JC »

Well, I had the instance in one of my game to see 2 IJN CVs hitting mines in GG and its approaches after beating the s*** out of the base... WHY DID THEY DO THAT ? Just to make sure that the Bmb TF had done its job ??

Plain Dumb... but left me the time to lick my wounds while they were going back to Truk ![;)]

Return to “Tech Support”