An idea for a better role for fighters in SPWAW

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Commander Klank

An idea for a better role for fighters in SPWAW

Post by Commander Klank »

I was playing a multi-player online game last night and our opponents bought 4 flights of Stormaviks while our side opted to buy two flights of air support and two flights of transports for a fairly large air drop.

Anyways as I watched my precious Mk IV Panzers getting the crap shot out of them I thought to my self wouldn’t it be nice if a ME109 would sweep in and shoot that sucker down or at least get on his tail and drive him off before he can attack my troops. I know you can buy fighters for air support (but nobody hardly does) and I though wouldn’t it be cool if you can give fighter class aircraft an interdiction or combat patrol area order during the deployment phase of the game so they would attempt to intercept or dogfight with any enemy air assets bought by the other side (including transports and gliders!).

I guess it could work kind of like the counter fire inactive off board batteries sometimes do in the game. This would defiantly put fighters back into the game in a role they were originally intended for.

What's your thoughts on this?
Commander Klank

ImageImage
Mangudai

RE: An idea for a better role for fighters in SPWAW

Post by Mangudai »

How do you use fighters for air support? I've never seen a dogfight, let alone two fighters on the screen at the same time.
Melvin

Post by Melvin »

I think that might be a cool idea. Especially against troop transport planes it might be useful.

But would you really buy fighters just incase the enemy had a attack planes? spending a few hundred points to shoot down planes that do just one attack (and maybe aren't even there) seems a bit excessive. I'd rather take a few extra tanks to withstand the damage. But that's just me :)

What's that thing about the OB counterfire?

// Melvin
Commander Klank

Post by Commander Klank »

ORIGINAL: Melvin

But would you really buy fighters just incase the enemy had a attack planes? spending a few hundred points to shoot down planes that do just one attack (and maybe aren't even there) seems a bit excessive.

I take it you haven't lost any Tiger tanks to air attacks. Its very aggravating.... LOL

Well that's the fun of the game isn't it? Trying differnt tatics and taking risks.

If your playing a player you know does allot of rear area air drops or likes to use air support allot it MIGHT be worth the points. There would be no guarantee your fighters would intercept the other players aircraft every time so that is also a risk. But still think of the satisfaction of a good intersept[:D] SWEET!
Commander Klank

ImageImage
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

SPWAW is a simulation of LAND warfare.I do like the possibility of an aerial surprise on occasion,(especially during the times tactical air was used significantly),but one must assume air superiority has already been achieved over the front,(especially the scale/time of SPWAW battles),which are only a few sportsfields wide,and maybe 3 or 4 times that in length..
True,there were undoubtedly times fighters "might" be loitering in the area to provide immediate cover,but rarely would they allow agressers near the point of attack.I'm sure interdiction would happen maybe 3-5 miles away from a target area the size of the basic SPWAW field..
I have some issues with the more recent versions of SPWAW allowing aircraft to be used by both sides,but I suspect that is more realistic and possible than fighters being assigned to fly that low and that dedicated to a particular regiment sized unit..
On the other hand,I would LOVE to see MatrixGames developing a beer and pretzels turn/hexbased game,aircraft from all time periods,,THAT would be a HOOT!!!!(IMHO)[:D]

moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

I cant say about all time periods - but Atchung Spitfire was a pretty good turn-based hexed game from years past....not sure, but possibly an Avalon Hill release before thier demise....

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”