WitP Download

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Pascal_slith

WitP Download

Post by Pascal_slith »

As the full package of War in the Pacific will be available at ORIGINS, will the downloadable version be on the website by the end of ORIGINS? Can anyone from Matrix Games answer this?
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

kaleun

RE: WitP Download

Post by kaleun »

No, they like to see us squirm[;)]
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

As you can imagine, running a show requires a fair number of staff to be there. There are only so many hours in a day and if you are in some city in the middle of nowhere and unable to be in the office, it is rather tough to get other work done. They are not interested in *not* letting you buy it, but there are some basic realities to deal with here. They have to test the installer to ensure it actually works and you don't end up spending 20 hours downloading nothing but scrap.

Due to a last second bug (my fault for pointing it out), poor Mike had to make a change and produce a new version. Understand how pressed for time they are when you understand that Mike's change has not even made it to us. It went straight to the guys to cut the cd's with. That should give you an idea of the chaos level at Matrix right now.

You want to complain, send it my way. I could have shut up and left it for a patch. [:D]
Pascal_slith

Post by Pascal_slith »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

As you can imagine, running a show requires a fair number of staff to be there. There are only so many hours in a day and if you are in some city in the middle of nowhere and unable to be in the office, it is rather tough to get other work done. They are not interested in *not* letting you buy it, but there are some basic realities to deal with here. They have to test the installer to ensure it actually works and you don't end up spending 20 hours downloading nothing but scrap.

Due to a last second bug (my fault for pointing it out), poor Mike had to make a change and produce a new version. Understand how pressed for time they are when you understand that Mike's change has not even made it to us. It went straight to the guys to cut the cd's with. That should give you an idea of the chaos level at Matrix right now.

You want to complain, send it my way. I could have shut up and left it for a patch. [:D]

No, no. That was your job as a beta tester. This shows the dedication at Matrix. Hope they can have things up and ready soon after Origins....
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Jaypea

Post by Jaypea »

I hope the requested bug fix did not create any new ones. You know how that happens[:@]
2Stepper

Post by 2Stepper »

Will just have to see... I for one suspect that digital download will be ready by COB on Friday or Monday at the latest... We should up stylin by then... I for one plan to do the DD and get the disk/box as backup mailed to me. [8D]
"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
IanLister

Post by IanLister »

Do we have any idea how big the download will be? I need to know how many weeks it will take my ISDN line to get it home.
Battleaxe Rules!
mark24

Post by mark24 »

Are we going to be allowed to burn the dl to a cd?
ZOOMIE1980

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: IanLister

Do we have any idea how big the download will be? I need to know how many weeks it will take my ISDN line to get it home.

I've heard in the neighborhood of 300MB total. Although the new sound stuff and intro videos may drive that to 500MB. But even at 500MB a 56k dialup with all the latest compression should be able to download a 500MB tarball in 10-12 hours or so....
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

I thought the new sound stuff was designed to reduce the size..?
"Tanks forward"
rawink

Post by rawink »

as a poor State Employee.. I only get paid once a month..

so i can't AFFORD to purchase the DD until the 29th.. so you guys should have to wait until at LEAST then :) LOL!
Robert
Fly, die.. rinse and repeat
2Stepper

Post by 2Stepper »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

I thought the new sound stuff was designed to reduce the size..?

Either way, my understanding is that the total download won't be more'n what a single CD-rom will hold. So either way it shouldn't be too bad. As for download rates, it's like anything they tell you about fast vs slow sites... Matrix will do their best with fast servers, etc, but I'm certain they'll be bogged down a lot early on. I would suspect 56k and DSL/ISDN users would probably look at anywhere from 2-4hrs for high end DSL to as long as 12-16hrs for the lower speeds. The guys who'll be set are those on faster cable servers... 1-2hrs tops if servers hold up. Either way guys we're still looking at upwards of 4-5days to get it via download most likely. Will all depend on Matrix.

Trust me... I have the itch same as the rest of ya'll, but we've waited this long... I can wait a few days longer. [8D]
Cherper

Post by Cherper »

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper
I would suspect 56k and DSL/ISDN users would probably look at anywhere from 2-4hrs for high end DSL to as long as 12-16hrs for the lower speeds. The guys who'll be set are those on faster cable servers... 1-2hrs tops if servers hold up. Either way guys we're still looking at upwards of 4-5days to get it via download most likely. Will all depend on Matrix.

Thank god for T-3 access at work.[;)]
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

Don't see how a fast dsl will take more than a few minutes
"Tanks forward"
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

rust me... I have the itch same as the rest of ya'll, but we've waited this long... I can wait a few days longer.

Twenty years and counting! Go SPI!! I can wait a few more days. Besides, I have to, I don't get paid until July 1, or the first Sunday, which happens to be July 4 - I don't know which yet. By then, all of y'all who are chompin' at the bit should be out of the way, and I can get the DL fairly easily. In the meantime, All Ahead Flank!
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Pier5

Post by Pier5 »

I have very fast cable, about 320 kbs, so I can do about 19 mb a minute. I think the problem will be loading up of the servers, which will dramatically slow down the download speed. Presumably, I could get a 600 meg file in about 30 minutes, but I'll bet it will take 4 times that long due to server loading.

Pier5
Paul
2Stepper

Post by 2Stepper »

Don't see how a fast dsl will take more than a few minutes

Actually freeboy it depends on how fast of a DSL you're talking about. I had a 640kbps download rate on a DSL line in S. Dakota. Best rate I could hope for was 90k/sec. And THAT was on a fast site. Average was about 60K. Granted it's faster'n dialup sure, but it's VERY slow for a big file of 100MB or more.

For example, if you're on a REALLY fast DSL line and have 1.2mbps (fastest home use DSL line I know of) as your download rate? The best you're usually going to get is around 150K/sec for a download speed. That's STILL about 55 minutes for a 500MB file. And that's assuming you don't have any lag on the site or net.

So the fastest DSL is going to get the file (assuming 500MB for DD) is about an hour. Best to assume 2hrs. Fast cable lines of course are going to be much more. Fastest I pull data is 450-550K/sec on my cable line. I'd be looking at 15-20 mins, give or take.

Suffice to say when the time for Digital download DOES roll along we'll all have to be patient in our own ways. [8D]

Fast edit here... Course now if we're talking about less then 500MB that time will change of course. [:)]
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

can someone nicely explain how 1.2 meg dsl =150k/sec seems that a 1.5 meg/sec dsl would smoke a 300 meg download.. I've done really fast 30 meg downloads in about 75 seconds..
"Tanks forward"
PlacidDragon

Post by PlacidDragon »

can someone nicely explain how 1.2 meg dsl =150k/sec seems that a 1.5 meg/sec dsl would smoke a 300 meg download.. I've done really fast 30 meg downloads in about 75 seconds..

Its a little complicated (in computer terms, with different standards of things), but it works like this :

1 mbit (megabit) is 1024 bits. Further, 1 bit is 8 bytes.

Following that information, the following formula :

1024 bits / 8 bytes = 128 kb/s.

A one megabit connection can then transfer data at a maximum of 128 kilobits per second (kb/s). One megabyte (MB) would then take 8 seconds to transfer at top speed, letting you download a max of 7.5 MB's per minute.

Most ISP's (Internet Service Providers) have slightly different speeds due to signal loss in their net. They normally give 10 - 20 percent more speed than you actually ordered, called "overhead", to compensate for this loss.

Just change the numbers around to match your speed [:)]

Hope that helps [:)]
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

ok I tested at:954.2 kilobits per second so wouldn't a 300 meg file take just over 300 seconds.. isn't 1000 kbts =1 meg??? Thanks for helping
"Tanks forward"

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”