IJN /IJA engines

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Nikademus

RE: IJN /IJA engines

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: freeboy
Dont see it as a matter of being balanced. Simple reality. Japan production is modeled as such because:

Ok forget I ever ased about production and then answer ? again..

If i'm understanding you correctly your asking if two equally skilled players meet in PBEM, will the game be balanced?

Hard to say given that none of us have been able to get that far into the game. At a guess, i'd say that it would require more deft handling on the part of the Japanese player to hold his own vs that of the Allied player based simply on the law of economics. The Allied player can afford to make mistakes.....the Japanese player cannot. The Japanese player will face an increasingly uphill battle as time goes by and more assets and better equipment become available to the Allied player.

As i have just experienced....its also quite a challenge to be the Japanese player for the beginning of the war as well. There are numerous offensive actions that must be conducted and then must be supported by logistical and support moves.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

You are the best.. at least the funniest.. thanks again ..
300 page manual wow..

I do realize winning for either side is about points.. is the game "set" or default to include damaged assetts or only destroyed/sunk ones as the default.. I got this from reading the editor manual posted waaasy back when which talked about a setting to change points etc.??
"Tanks forward"
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

using the editor you can change point values, and yes one does score points for damaged ships
LTCMTS

Post by LTCMTS »

IIRC, the historical numbers show that even if the Japanese captured the NEI and Borneo oil fields undamaged and had sufficient tankers which were never under attack and sufficient refinery capacity that also never came under attack, oil production would never reach the levels demanded by the Japanese and would still come up short against their consumption. Add in that the Japanese never developed a source of high grade iron ore and scrap steel to replace what they lost with the US embargo, not to mention high octane aviation fuel.
Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

using the editor you can change point values, and yes one does score points for damaged ships

That is good to know because I would like to increase the point value for ships after they have had their refits applied to them.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

Dt,
I don't think you can change a value mid stride.. and may not be able to edit points for upgrades.. we will see shortly
"Tanks forward"
Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Dt,
I don't think you can change a value mid stride.. and may not be able to edit points for upgrades.. we will see shortly

I know you can't change any values once you start the game (otherwise PBEM wouldn't be secure). I think you can have different values for pre-upgraded ships and post-upgraded ships, though, because they are really two different ships in the database.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

That would be enice.. are they two different ships in the database?
"Tanks forward"
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

upgraded ships are represented in the database as seperate "ship classes"

example:

slot 001 Yamato mar1942
slot 002 Yamato jun1944

etc etc
Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

upgraded ships are represented in the database as seperate "ship classes"

example:

slot 001 Yamato mar1942
slot 002 Yamato jun1944

etc etc

That;s a good way of doing it. So, are point values tied to ship classes or to indivual ships?
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

classes i believe

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”