Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Luskan

RE: Aussie Affair, Beta's Twilight

Post by Luskan »

A couple of little units of mine slipped in and stole Kuala Lumpur - they'll double back and take an almost empty georgetown.

Is interesting how well Raver has avoided large scale land battle confrontation (in fact, at sea as well!). He's carefully husbanding his forces - come 43 he's going to have a pretty big arsenal.

In both major campaigns, the PI and Malaya, there have been plenty of little fights, which have yielded me bases and resources for little or no pain, and have cost Raver equally little. However now with Manila, and Clark, Singapore and Johore Bharu all being fortified up and each packed full of enemy combat troops (very very full!) I won't be rushing in to steal them.

Instead, these last 3 turns at Clark I've bombed the place with 150+ sallies and lilys and sonias, each time taking an excellent toll on the defenders (200+) because they are so packed in, and scoring all important supply pile hits. This will continue for a while as all of my big divisions rest from two weeks of marching, and gather all important prep points for taking out clark.

The same thing is going to happen in Malaya - first my units need to get to Kuala Lumpur, where they will all be prepping for the battle at Johore Bharu. I will not move wiht half a force, I musthave a brilliantly prepared force and overwhelm Raver in short order. Drawn out conflicts will not help me here.

In Burma my jungle bonud units are taking longer to arrive in position that I had wished - but soon enough I'll have established my back line (rugby term) wiht a couple of fast wingers on either end of the front to exploit any holes I find. Is going to be a long campaign over there. At least Tavoy is coming along well, with the fort size reaching 2, the airbase well built and lots of aircraft massing there (3 base forces) for the upcoming offensive. I also have a little bit of a fleet beginning to form there for future operations in the bay of bengal.

My victorious troops took Samarinda this turn, and Raver's troops are racing up the road to Tarakan - too slow as my other amphib ops will be taking that very soon as well. I also took Ormac in the last two turns, which means mop up operations in the northern PI will have to cease as Raver has isolated divisions on some of these islands and I'm not going to bother with them until I've got manila and Clark sewn up.

Raver continues his deep water massacre of my sub picket lines. I had about 12 subs in a row between me and pearl, and Raver's hunter killer groups have got 6 of that picket line (for a total of about 12 subs IIRC) and are just working their way up it.

In other housekeeping news, Rabaul and Kendari both received extra HQs, garrison troops and CD units to keep them wholesome - in case Raver gets any ideas. I know there is a US division embarked on one of Raver's convoys out there - arriving at Noumea very shortly I'd guess.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

Duck and weave, thats my plan and so far it is working just fine. Mind you there was a very poor surface raid carried out on Tavoy which cost me more in damage to my own ships than it did to Luskan, and then I got smacked the very next turn by some LRB operating out of Tavoy, which hurt my BB and BC ships even more with some torps. I am going to have to have a long talk with the Far East RN about their performance (or lack of).

Building plans at Clark or progressing well with the fort level coming along very well. Luskan is going to bleed trying to take any of these bases or citys on the PI.

Burma now has the troops that it needs to defend against Luskan, but I can not see him really making a strong move in that direction until sinagpore falls, then he will have to rest his troops, and then he will have to ship them. So I would say that we are looking at some 4 months before he is fully ready to take on Burma.

I still have not sighted or even had an intell report on where his CVs are. I thought that I had a sniff of them some where north of the solomans so I sent 4 subs to have a butchers hook, but nothing. I think that while the land combat slows down on the PI and Malaya and China, Luskan will be looking to for some type of award winning naval operation...............well he does have a big ego that he must keep well fed[;)]

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Luskan

Post by Luskan »

Another quiet turn on the waves as another of my subs is indiscriminately sunk. I take kungming in China - not really a big battle because Raver had already evacauted. His trategy at avoidinglosses in china is just so effective that next time I play the allies, that is exactly how I'm playing it.

Raver's raid with Repulse and POW on Tavoy was a miserable failure - the bad weather keeping things cool in the SRA really saved my dds - that and the Pommie admirals decision to fire three shells and then call it a night. My dds escaped without any loss (although one dd copped 40 sys damage from 2 shell hits). I didn't have any torps reloaded yet so that was a bit disappointing, but then by betties out of Tavoy (POW and Repulse didn't bother to bombard - their admiral was no doubt ordered to) and I put two torps into POW for no noticable effect other than a little smoke, and one torp into Repulse that set her on fire. They'll be back soon enough - but for now they've retired to Chandpur for a bit of repair I'm guessing.

Spotted Raver's transports at Akyab, and that is certainly disappointing. I was hoping he'd try to get troops into Rangoon and suffer for it. Akyab may as well be no the other side of the moon as far as I'm concerned at the moment - my troops took so long getting into position through the jungle that Raver does have months before I get there in any strength.

I did get a thousand of them or so - but this is pathetic compared to the numbers I was getting last game. I am hoping to trap a few thousand on the northern front (they've got nowhere left to run) and I've got over a dozen big divisions surrounding Kweilin and Wuchow at the moment, but I'm unwilling to weaken my forces near one to take the other just yet.

Raver has misunderstood my plan for clark and Singapore - let them build the forts as high as they like - they should use every scrap of supply they've got doing that since all but 24 of Malaya's 800 odd resources are mine (producing supply for my troops and resources for my industry at a later date) while Singapore's heavy industry, and maybe even as many as a hundred thousand enemy troops have to survive on 24 resources between them?

And at Clark - Clark itself has 120 resources or so - but this turn I bombed that down to half. I'll bomb it down to zero, and keep bombing the airfield so that repairs never really finish. Next thing you know, clark is producing 0 supply to support all the allied troops in malaya (manila does not produce any resources). I control them ALL except the 120 at clark and they're about to be bombed to oblivion.

I figure by the time my troops have had a few weeks to sun themselves, gather those vital preparation points together, and get into position (my troops will be a little fat from all the food they'll be eating, produced by all the resources I've stolen) while Raver wastes his supply on building forts, gets bombed (especially his resources and supplies) and because he didn't evacuate any troops he's going to STARVE to death.

A fort size of 9 isn't going to mean diddly when your troops are too starved to pull a trigger.
Luskan

Post by Luskan »

Well, this turn saw me loosing some nells over darwin (not to worry, got plenty of them) on a silly mission. However Clark got smacked again, and this turn things improved since it is the first turn in about 2 weeks I haven't lost a sub.

Somebody posted in another thread that they wanted to see my date by date plans. I honestly can't remember the dates, all I can remember is the order (of course, the first 4 points are meaningless since Raver had either already evacuated every base or so close to as wouldn't have made a difference). In china I've cut him off in the north and will take the entire northern flank - a flank that will NOT become part of the front line because to get up there on any road trail you have to go through Sian - which will be the jump off point for my flanking attack on the massive central chinese industrial bases (once Wuchow and Kweilin are secure, and my troops can close in from Hanoi, Wuchow and Sian simultaneously).

Of course, the problem with this strategy is the distance and time involved. Raver has saved his troops, and has withdrawn the bulk of them into this industrial heartland totally intact. They're in there right now building forts in bases that produce large amounts of supply and providing great supoprt and reinforcement. Out on the perimeter - I'm guaranteed to win - but in there, it is a gamble that he might well win - especially if he holds the Burma road open.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (142.18 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

You are joking right? Chungking? It's your dreams Banana boy.

Got an extra 20 Divisions around that I don't know about? [8|]
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

Well, as you can see on the map, he plans to use the super secret but highly trained Banana Corps, which is currently concentrated around the Wuhan-Changsha area, to overwhelm the defenders with spores of the "spotted banana" desease and that sickeningly swet smell of rotting fruit.
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
GameTester

Post by GameTester »

Go for it! Knock the Chinese out of the war!
"I want, I want, gimme, gimme, gimme, I need, I need!"

Bob Wiley from What About Bob?
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

You are aware how many Chinese there are right? [:D]
GameTester

Post by GameTester »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

You are aware how many Chinese there are right? [:D]

100 divisions?

Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

100 divisions?

No, I meant Chinese people [;)]

Divisions are simply reformed when they are destroyed.

You kill them, they come back in 30 days. You kill them, they come back in 30 days. It is an endless loop. [;)]
GameTester

Post by GameTester »

I guess several hundred million. However if the Japanese can to take enough cities, there will be less Chinese people available to draw from. Is this modeled in the game?

Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

I guess several hundred million. However if the Japanese can to take enough cities, there will be less Chinese people available to draw from. Is this modeled in the game?

No different to people, but the lost industry will slow down how quickly the newly formed divisions repopulate themselves with arms.

Unless you cut the link from India, there is really nothing you can do to China except grab some extra industry for Japan.

This needs to be carefully balanced against the losses you take. Chinese troops come back when destroyed. Japanese troops do not.
GameTester

Post by GameTester »

No different to people, but the lost industry will slow down how quickly the newly formed divisions repopulate themselves with arms.

Unless you cut the link from India, there is really nothing you can do to China except grab some extra industry for Japan.

This needs to be carefully balanced against the losses you take. Chinese troops come back when destroyed. Japanese troops do not.

Well I don't think China can be taken then barring some terrible mistakes by the Allied player. It seems with all the garrison requirements and the reconstituting Chinese divisions, the Japanese would be best to avoid trying to defeat the Chinese. Ship those divisions to Burma! [:D]

marky

Post by marky »

y not land jap paratroopers and cut the burma road?

then spread out along the western border to cut all possible supply lines

hey

this is my 415th post [:D]

i wonder how long til i get promoted again

wats the next rank?

legion of sumthing? [:D]
GameTester

Post by GameTester »

ORIGINAL: marky

y not land jap paratroopers and cut the burma road?

then spread out along the western border to cut all possible supply lines

Good idea but this brings up another issue. What are the rules on using Chinese units outside of China? This was a big issue in the war.

pad152

Post by pad152 »

You kill them, they come back in 30 days.

A couple of comments:

30 days to reform a division seems way to quick.

Man Power, aren't man resource centers modeled in China and shouldn't taking them cut down on the replacement level and/or rate?

I'm not saying Japan should be able to role over China but, as Japan captures more cities the rate of Chinas replacements should be slowed.

My limited understanding of the war in China is it was almost a three-way war (Allied vs Japan, Japan vs China, and Chinese vs Chinese). If Japan is very sucessful one might expect that more Chinese would be willing to fight on the side of Japanese.
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

Well it seems that bananananananana boy has learnt how to post sreenies wonders will never cease[8|].

More than happy to let Luskan try and have a crack at Chungking, but I think that banananaa boy will read these posts and get the wind up, and choose a diffent tack.

Well it rained Nells at Darwin last turn, something like 24 Nells came in on a raid and I shot down 13 ! Luskan should have followed upwith another raid the next day as my pilots were still too pissed to fly from the huge booze-up that was had.[:)]

The India-Burma-China road will stay open, Luskan cannot use paratroopers and he lost them all in an operation in the PI[:D]

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

ORIGINAL: pad152
You kill them, they come back in 30 days.

A couple of comments:

30 days to reform a division seems way to quick.

Man Power, aren't man resource centers modeled in China and shouldn't taking them cut down on the replacement level and/or rate?

I'm not saying Japan should be able to role over China but, as Japan captures more cities the rate of Chinas replacements should be slowed.

My limited understanding of the war in China is it was almost a three-way war (Allied vs Japan, Japan vs China, and Chinese vs Chinese). If Japan is very sucessful one might expect that more Chinese would be willing to fight on the side of Japanese.

1/3 strength on reform.

Manpower not used by Allies. It is a Japanese production item.
GameTester

Post by GameTester »

1/3 strength on reform.

How does 'reform' work? Are they set to pop up in X city everytime or does the player have control over where they appear?

Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

How does 'reform' work? Are they set to pop up in X city everytime or does the player have control over where they appear?

Arrives in Chungking. Thats why he's not going to take it [:D]

Return to “After Action Reports”