Computer dying?

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

marky

RE: Computer dying?

Post by marky »

hmm

im uninitiated?

if ur referring to me mantis, ur right [:'(]

i dont know @#$% about computers

well, i know sum @#$%

im still split between build or buy

i m however, seeing indications that the owner of this ancient abacus, is about to buy a NEW computer

and 1 for me 2 [:D]

of course, mine will have to b alot more powerful
cuz of course, mine will b doing more

im currently split between building, or buying a dell

according to latest research, a dell would be the best to buy

maybe ill just buy 1

i havent decided yet tho

and then, maybe i could build 1 as a project -

1. as a learning experience
2. for the hell of it [:D]
3. cuz i still dont have a clue wat to do with my life, so building 1 as a project could help me decide whether i want a computer career or not

any thoughts?
Oznoyng

Post by Oznoyng »

ORIGINAL: DoomedMantis

yes but you sound like you know what your doing, for the uninitiated its a totally different kettle of fish

I know what I am doing because I have done it. I was in your shoes before I built my first computer. I can now put one together with no fear.

I encourage people to do it because once they do, they find out that it isn't rocket science to put one together. They also find out that some component going out is not the end of the world. I don't know anything about computers is a cop out. You can learn. It isn't hard. It doesn't require an advanced degree. You don't have to be able to program. You don't have to be able to do anything more than 1) read, 2) follow instructions, 3) plug a cable into a socket, 4) use a screwdriver.

My 5 year old son has a 2000ish piece aircraft carrier lego set he is putting together. Having worked on both, the lego set is the harder and more time consuming of the two.
"There is no Black or White, only shades of Grey."
"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."
DoomedMantis

Post by DoomedMantis »

oh well I deal with software, the insides of a computer scare me, mind you I have big hands 6'5" rugby player) and doing anything fiddly usually ends up with me getting totally frustrated and using the sledge hammer approach[:D].
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare
Oznoyng

Post by Oznoyng »

ORIGINAL: DoomedMantis

oh well I deal with software, the insides of a computer scare me, mind you I have big hands 6'5" rugby player) and doing anything fiddly usually ends up with me getting totally frustrated and using the sledge hammer approach[:D].

I'm a software guy too - and I was just as afraid. I actually had a friend build my first one for me. On the second one, I just took the plunge and did it myself. On the last three, I have done them completely on my own. Along the way, I have reused components.

The truth is, there isn't much to be afraid of. Calling it easy is probably not fair since it does take effort. It takes time to research, time to shop for components, time to put it together and time to install the OS. On the other hand, I am supremely confident that I can fix anything that goes wrong with it, I am confident that I saved a bundle of money, I got precisely what I wanted, and I know precisely how much I can expand it before I need to go back and build another one.
"There is no Black or White, only shades of Grey."
"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”